[sci.space.shuttle] Leaks vs. Age

rax8@citek.UUCP (Steve Roberson ) (09/19/90)

Since these leaks seem to be a recent development, I wonder if it has to
do with the age of the spacecraft? Columbia is the oldest shuttle. Does it
also have the most flights logged? At one time NASA advertised that the
shuttles had a lifetime of "100 flights". Well, they have been wrong before
(remember that 2-week turnaround claim?) so perhaps this spacecraft has
reached it's limit?

I know that so much maintenance is done between flights that probably few
original parts are still in use, but isn't it possible that Columbia is
simply worn out?

Will someone please post a list of the number of flights per vehical?

vonk@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Steve Vonk) (09/20/90)

I read something about some glass beads being left in some of the valves.
Does anyone know anything about that?

Steve Vonk

gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau/1000000) (09/21/90)

In article <3250004@hpnmdla.HP.COM> vonk@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Steve Vonk) writes:
>I read something about some glass beads being left in some of the valves.
>Does anyone know anything about that?
>
>Steve Vonk

Apparently the main 17 inch Hydrogen feed line disconnect was manufactured at
a plant that also had a manufacturing operation occuring on the other side
of the plant that involved small glass beads. The disconnects became
contaminated with airborne glass beads that scratched the seal surfaces.
This info was posted by someone else on the net a few weeks ago.

gregc@cimage.com