[sci.space.shuttle] launch ratesDOWN 18

pstinson@pbs.org (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep26.174811.8026@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>  The Saturn had reached a launch rate that the
> shuttle is struggling, so far mostly unsuccessfully, to beat.
> --
There is not much I can say in rebutal today, but I truly believe you have
underestimated the Shuttle's capabilities.  The year 1992 has been proclaimed
an International Space Year.  Let's just wait in see what the Shuttle is doing
by the end of 1992.  I exdpect we will see at least 9 launches in 1991 and at
least 12 more in 1992.  No year after that will see less than 10.

By the way.  How long do you think the U.S. Congress would have let NASA go on
building from scratch 5 Saturn V's a year simply to be discard them after one
launch?  The rate you mentioned from late 1968 through late 1969 was
unsustainable.

In article <10230.27023455@pbs.org> pstinson@pbs.org writes:
>... Let's just wait in see what the Shuttle is doing
>by the end of 1992.  I exdpect we will see at least 9 launches in 1991 and at
>least 12 more in 1992.  No year after that will see less than 10.

I'm willing to wait.  As I recall, NRC suggested that 12 was attainable
only as a "surge" rate, and then only if everything went well.

How long do you think it will be before the next orbiter loss?  Higher
flight rates will make that happen sooner.

>By the way.  How long do you think the U.S. Congress would have let NASA go on
>building from scratch 5 Saturn V's a year simply to be discard them after one
>launch? ...

Probably no longer than necessary for a reusable first stage to be developed,
which was being seriously thought about.  (Indeed, the "flyback F-1" -- a
Saturn V first stage with wings and engines -- was almost chosen as the
shuttle's booster.  Development would have cost 20% more than the SRBs.)
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (09/28/90)

In article <10230.27023455@pbs.org>, pstinson@pbs.org writes:
> In article <1990Sep26.174811.8026@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>
> >  The Saturn had reached a launch rate that the
> > shuttle is struggling, so far mostly unsuccessfully, to beat.
> > --
> [1992 is] International Space Year.
> Let's just wait in see what the Shuttle is doing
> by the end of 1992.

20 years after the Shuttle design was selected.

>I expect we will see at least 9 launches in 1991 and at
> least 12 more in 1992.  No year after that will see less than 10.

That's what they they said in 1985 about 1986.

> By the way.  How long do you think the U.S. Congress would have let NASA go on
> building from scratch 5 Saturn V's a year simply to be discard them after one
> launch?  The rate from late 1968 through late 1969 was unsustainable.

And that is the real irony of this whole situation.  Expendibles are
clearly inefficient.  It's just that the Shuttle is worse.
As I see it, the current NASA couldn't launch Saturns, either.
The kind of operational paralysis which currently grounds the Shuttle
(a vehicle which should be relatively easy to launch)
would be even worse with a large, complex expendible.  They can't currently
get the two major liquid propulsion system with five engines to work right;
the Apollo/LM/Saturn had six major systems with 14 engines.

Shuttle Propulsion systems:
Main: 3 Hydrogen
OMS: 2 hypergolic

Saturn
SIC: 5 RP-1
SII: 5 hydrogen
SIVB: 1 hydrogen
LM Descent: 1 hypergolic
LM Ascent: 1 hypergolic
CSM: 1 hypergolic

I don't include the solids, because solids are so simple that they can't
fail, and don't warrant comparison in complexity to the main propulsion
system (I'd put a smiley here if I could smile about it.)  If you insist
on throwing them in, that's one and a half more systems and two more engines.
In any case, that's half the number of systems and engines.

I don't want to get into the mode of mindless Shuttle bashing here,
(I'm actually an ex-Shuttle engineer), but there is no doubt that we
have a seriously flawed system here, and it needs to be fixed.
Getting starry-eyed about "Space ... the final frontier" and ignoring
the Shuttle's problems isn't going to help make it better.

--
Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN USA

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep28.163456.25849@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>How long do you think it will be before the next orbiter loss?  Higher
>flight rates will make that happen sooner.
>
>Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology

You seem to assume there will be another Shuttle loss. Higher flight rates
increase the *probability* of some kind of accident. Doesn't mean there is
going to be one.

Peter Jarvis.........

In article <3264@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>>How long do you think it will be before the next orbiter loss?  Higher
>>flight rates will make that happen sooner.
>>
>You seem to assume there will be another Shuttle loss. Higher flight rates
>increase the *probability* of some kind of accident. Doesn't mean there is
>going to be one.

The observed shuttle reliability is one failure in 30-some flights (I forget
the exact current count).  Unless the actual reliability is *orders of
magnitude* higher than that -- which nobody believes, although a factor of
2 or 3 is plausible -- then it is quite likely that we will lose another
orbiter sometime in the next decade, with over 100 flights scheduled.
See the OTA report "Round Trip To Orbit" for numbers and graphs.  Of
particular note is that if you assume that the observed reliability
is the actual reliability (note that we have only something like 50%
confidence that the actual reliability isn't *worse* than observed), the
probability that another orbiter will be written off before space station
assembly finishes is something like 70%.

We can't say for sure that there is going to be another shuttle loss...
but that's the way to bet.