[sci.space.shuttle] shuttle pads

In article <3330032@hpindda.cup.hp.com> mears@hpindda.cup.hp.com (David Mears) writes:
>Is there any difference between the two pads?  Can any shuttle launch
>from either pad for any particular mission, or are there some differences
>which dictate which pad a given mission (or shuttle) must use?

In principle, the two pads are identical.  In practice, one is usually
behind the other on getting facilities updates, and sometimes only one
is fitted to deal with a requirement that is expected to be rare.  (For
example, I have a dim memory that only 39B is fitted with the cooling
plumbing needed for RTG launches.)
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry