[sci.space.shuttle] Tomatoes from Space ?

simon@masscomp.ccur.com (Simon Rosenthal) (09/20/90)

Many will remember that a one of the experiments in a (recent ?) space
shuttle flight involved exposing some tomato seeds to space conditions for
the duration of the flight. The seeds were subsequently distributed to
schools all across the country, with the aim of discovering whether
spaceflight had had any effect on their growth capabilities.

Here's a report from the 5th grade at the Bridge School, Lexington,
Mass.  My son was presented with a pot containing a healthy looking
plant at the end of school last summer ; it's been sitting on our deck
since then, watered, fertilized once or twice. Several flowers, but
none of them set, and NO TOMATOES !

I'd be interested to know if anyone (or their kids) out there had any
better luck.

- Simon
Simon Rosenthal: 				 ___________
Concurrent Computer Corporation 		/ _________/_
Westford, MA 01886 				/_/________/ /
Internet: simon@westford.ccur.com

mears@hpindda.cup.hp.com (David Mears) (09/25/90)

> Many will remember that a one of the experiments in a (recent ?)  space
> shuttle flight involved exposing some tomato seeds to space conditions
> for the duration of the flight.  The seeds were subsequently distributed
> to schools all across the country, with the aim of discovering whether
> spaceflight had had any effect on their growth capabilities.
>
> Here's a report from the 5th grade at the Bridge School, Lexington,
> Mass.  My son was presented with a pot containing a healthy looking
> plant at the end of school last summer ; it's been sitting on our deck
> since then, watered, fertilized once or twice. Several flowers, but
> none of them set, and NO TOMATOES !
>
> I'd be interested to know if anyone (or their kids) out there had any
> better luck.

I'm afraid I can't supply many details (though I'm sure others can), but
I recall seeing on the news within the last couple of weeks where a guy
took some of the tomatoes which grew from one of the spaced plants and
he entered them in a judging at the State Fair, or 4H meeting, or
something like that.  (He didn't let anyone know that they were from the
tomato experiment.)  Anyway, the tomatoes won the Blue Ribbon in the
tomato category.  So someone not only had good luck getting them to
grow, but they grew better than anyone elses that had entered the
judging!

> - Simon
> Simon Rosenthal: 				 ___________
> Concurrent Computer Corporation 		/ _________/_
> Westford, MA 01886 				/_/________/ /
> Internet: simon@westford.ccur.com

David B. Mears
Hewlett-Packard
Cupertino CA
hplabs!hpda!mears
mears@hpinddf.cup.hp.com

jle@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Jer Eberhard) (09/25/90)

> Here's a report from the 5th grade at the Bridge School, Lexington,
> Mass.  My son was presented with a pot containing a healthy looking
> plant at the end of school last summer ; it's been sitting on our deck
> since then, watered, fertilized once or twice. Several flowers, but
> none of them set, and NO TOMATOES !

> I'd be interested to know if anyone (or their kids) out there had any
> better luck.

Yes, most of the  tomatoe  seeds  germinated  and out paced the  control
seeds  for the  first 6-8  weeks.  Then both  control  and  space  seeds
continued  growing and produced  normal crops of tomatoes.  There was no
apparent  difference in haveing "spaced" the seeds or not.  I read about
it in Cappers (a national, homey newspaper from Topeka, KS).

Jer/ Eberhard, (SLASH), HAM = N0FZD | Hewlett-Packard - MS99, 1UP10, 15' East
CAP SAR Pilot, COMM,INST,CFI-GLIDER | 3404 East Harmony Road  (303) 229-2861
UUCP:  hplabs!hpfcla!jle            | Fort Collins, Colorado  80525-9599
ARPA:  jle@hpfcla.fc.hp.com Jer_Eberhard@hpfcla.fc.hp.com

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (09/26/90)

>Many will remember that a one of the experiments in a (recent ?) space
>shuttle flight involved exposing some tomato seeds to space conditions...
>
>Here's a report from the 5th grade at the Bridge School, Lexington, Mass.
>none of them set, and NO TOMATOES !
>
>I'd be interested to know if anyone (or their kids) out there had any
>better luck.

Sorry I don't have more details, but the Chicago Tribune reported a week or
two ago that a "space tomato" won first prize at a state fair.  (Not the
Illinois fair, though.)  So _some_ of the plants did OK.

The seeds were lofted on the LDEF which was stranded for a while.  (The
XLDEF?)  After the LDEF was recovered the seeds were distributed to
scientific researchers and schools.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (09/27/90)

In <3330031@hpindda.cup.hp.com> mears@hpindda.cup.hp.com (David Mears) writes:
> I recall seeing on the news within the last couple of weeks where a guy
> took some of the tomatoes which grew from one of the spaced plants and
> he entered them in a judging at the State Fair, or 4H meeting, or
> something like that.

I saw a blurb about this on CNN the other day.  The tomatoes were
grown at the Kansas State Cosmosphere in Hutchinson Kansas.  They
won the award at the Kansas State Fair.  I would assume that the
space campers tended to the plants while they were growing.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (09/30/90)

In article <26ff7c8d-1b7.1sci.space.shuttle-1@vpnet.chi.il.us> cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) writes:
>>Many will remember that a one of the experiments in a (recent ?) space
>>shuttle flight involved exposing some tomato seeds to space conditions...
>Sorry I don't have more details, but the Chicago Tribune reported a week or
>two ago that a "space tomato" won first prize at a state fair.  (Not the
>Illinois fair, though.)  So _some_ of the plants did OK.

   I remember reading after the seeds were all distributed that somebody had
done an analysis of the seeds, discovered that ... and that no fruit from
them should be eaten...  There was a big to do, and many schools returned
theirs seeds, and the program was changed such that the teacher was supposed
to remove all flowers so no fruit could be produced (in public labs/schools).
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

johna@cbnewsj.att.com (john.a.welsh) (10/01/90)

In article <26ff7c8d-1b7.1sci.space.shuttle-1@vpnet.chi.il.us>, cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) writes:

> >Many will remember that a one of the experiments in a (recent ?) space
> >shuttle flight involved exposing some tomato seeds to space conditions...

> Sorry I don't have more details, but the Chicago Tribune reported a week or
> two ago that a "space tomato" won first prize at a state fair.  (Not the
> Illinois fair, though.)  So _some_ of the plants did OK.

> The seeds were lofted on the LDEF which was stranded for a while.  (The
> XLDEF?)  After the LDEF was recovered the seeds were distributed to
> scientific researchers and schools.

I read that a number of these seeds produced tomato plants that produced
good looking tomatoes.  One school in New Jersey did but nobody was allowed
to eat them because they were not sure if they were safe.  If I remember
the article correctly, the plants grew faster than expected.  My question
is: has anybody analyzed these tomatoes to determine if they are edible?

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep30.150742.1828@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>    I remember reading after the seeds were all distributed that somebody had
> done an analysis of the seeds, discovered that ... and that no fruit from
> them should be eaten...  There was a big to do, and many schools returned
> theirs seeds, and the program was changed such that the teacher was supposed
> to remove all flowers so no fruit could be produced (in public labs/schools).

The reason that you left blank for what was discovered via an analysis
is that no analysis was done.  Someone in NASA decided that in the
enhanced radiation environment of space, there was a higher probability
of mutation (fair enough), and hence there was a higher probability of
a mutation that could cause trouble.  The upshot: there were a few news
stories about ``killer tomatoes''.  No one involved seemed interested
in calculating the probability of such a thing....

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (10/03/90)

>   I remember reading after the seeds were all distributed that somebody had
>done an analysis of the seeds, discovered that ... and that no fruit from
>them should be eaten...  There was a big to do, and many schools returned
>theirs seeds, and the program was changed such that the teacher was supposed
>to remove all flowers so no fruit could be produced (in public labs/schools)

What actually happened was that a reporter (as is the wont of reporters)
phrased a question so as to produce that answer.  It was something along the
lines of "Wouldn't it be possible that a random mutation might cause the
plant to produce poisonous fruit?"  (concept only; no attempt to quote).  Of
course the scientist who was asked this question responded as a true
scientist, saying that pretty much _anything_ was possible with random
mutations...  Some members of the press attempted to panic, but were
unsuccessful.

No poison fruit has been found to date.

rlb@rtpark.rtp.semi.harris.com (10/08/90)

In article <2708f67f-1b7.5sci.space.shuttle-1@vpnet.chi.il.us>, cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) writes:

>>   I remember reading after the seeds were all distributed that somebody had
>>done an analysis of the seeds, discovered that ... and that no fruit from
>>them should be eaten...  There was a big to do, and many schools returned
>>theirs seeds, and the program was changed such that the teacher was supposed
>>to remove all flowers so no fruit could be produced (in public labs/schools)
>
> What actually happened was that a reporter (as is the wont of reporters)
> phrased a question so as to produce that answer.  It was something along the
> lines of "Wouldn't it be possible that a random mutation might cause the
> plant to produce poisonous fruit?"  (concept only; no attempt to quote).  Of
> course the scientist who was asked this question responded as a true
> scientist, saying that pretty much _anything_ was possible with random
> mutations...  Some members of the press attempted to panic, but were
> unsuccessful.
>
> No poison fruit has been found to date.

> Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
> Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?
--
What I'm most curious about is:  what's being done with the next generation
of seeds from the plants that proved to be fertile(if any)?  The offspring

Any biologists/botanists out there that can give some followup on this?

          Bob
 Bob Boyd   Voice:     (919)549-3627
 Harris Semiconductor Microelectronics Center

 E-Mail Address:      rlb@rtpark.rtp.semi.harris.com

 Disclaimer?  Datclaimer?  Reclaimer?