[sci.space.shuttle] center engine out

brody@eos.UUCP (Adam R. Brody) (09/19/90)

I was reading For All Mankind last night and it claimed that at 2:15 MET, the
middle engine of the S-1C first stage goes out while the surrounding four
burn until completion.  The same thing occurs with the SII second stage at
3:30.  Why is this?
The book also mentioned that Apollo took 1.5 orbits around the Earth before
TLI to gain momentum much like a discus thrower.  Can somebody explain this?
Can it be like a gravity assist to another planet?

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (09/20/90)

In article <7285@eos.UUCP>, brody@eos.UUCP (Adam R. Brody) writes:
> middle engine of the S-1C first stage goes out while the surrounding four
> burn until completion.  The same thing occurs with the SII second stage at
> 3:30.  Why is this?

The inboard engines of the Saturn V shut down to reduce acceleration.
As the fuel burned, the stack got lighter, so the same thrust resulted
in higher acceleration.  To keep the loads down, they shut down one
engine.  The engines also became more efficient as the ambient pressure
went down, so the raw thrust increased.  Note that the Shuttle solids
have the propellant properties tailored to make the thrust go down
as the vehicle gets higher.

> The book also mentioned that Apollo took 1.5 orbits around the Earth before
> TLI to gain momentum much like a discus thrower.  Can somebody explain this?
> Can it be like a gravity assist to another planet?

The parking orbit was just to check out the vehicle before proceeding to
the moon.  There was no momentum gain.

--
Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University

dsmith@hplabsb.HP.COM (David Smith) (09/20/90)

In article <7285@eos.UUCP> brody@eos.UUCP (Adam R. Brody) writes:
>..middle engine of the S-1C first stage goes out while the surrounding four
>burn until completion.  The same thing occurs with the SII second stage at
>3:30.  Why is this?

To limit the peak acceleration loads.

>The book also mentioned that Apollo took 1.5 orbits around the Earth before
>TLI to gain momentum much like a discus thrower.  Can somebody explain this?
>Can it be like a gravity assist to another planet?

Not a gravity assist, nor momentum gain.  They wanted to go into a parking
orbit so they could check out vehicle operation in space before committing
to lunar transfer.  The orbit was inclined 28.5 degrees to the equator, and
if TLI occurred over Canaveral, the spacecraft would climb out toward the
opposite place in the sky 28.5 deg. south, where the Moon isn't.  Instead,
TLI took place in that part of the orbit which was opposite the planned
rendezvous point with the Moon.

--
"Some fear that Newtonian physics	| David R. Smith, HP Labs
governs superpower relations:		| dsmith@hplabs.hp.com
    Time Magazine, interviewing Gorbachev, June 4, 1990

roberts@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Tim Roberts) (09/21/90)

>In article <7285@eos.UUCP>, brody@eos.UUCP (Adam R. Brody) writes:
>> middle engine of the S-1C first stage goes out while the surrounding four
>> burn until completion.  The same thing occurs with the SII second stage at
>> 3:30.  Why is this?
>
>In article <5556@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey)
>writes:
>The inboard engines of the Saturn V shut down to reduce acceleration.

Sorry, but that is half the story.  The first Saturn flights had trouble
with oscillations of a compression wave, i.e. the rocket got longer and
shorter due to harmonic coupling of the acceleration vs. gravity.  To
reduce the effect (called the "Pogo effect") they either had to stiffen
the rocket longitudinally or break the harmonics.  The solution was to
maintain wave interference by shutting off the center engine.  Apollo
7 rode a Saturn 1b and they had the shorts scared off them by this Pogo
stick ride to orbit.  I believe the solution was found in time for Apollo
8, which was the first manned Saturn V.

						-Tim

brody@eos.UUCP (Adam R. Brody) (09/21/90)

>> The book also mentioned that Apollo took 1.5 orbits around the Earth before
>> TLI to gain momentum much like a discus thrower.  Can somebody explain this?
>> Can it be like a gravity assist to another planet?

>The parking orbit was just to check out the vehicle before proceeding to
>the moon.  There was no momentum gain.

That is what I thought also but the book very clearly and explicitly
mentioned the gain and the analogy to a discus thrower.

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (09/21/90)

roberts@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Tim Roberts) writes:

>Sorry, but that is half the story.  The first Saturn flights had trouble
>with oscillations of a compression wave, i.e. the rocket got longer and
>shorter due to harmonic coupling of the acceleration vs. gravity.  To
>reduce the effect (called the "Pogo effect") they either had to stiffen
>the rocket longitudinally or break the harmonics.  The solution was to
>maintain wave interference by shutting off the center engine.  Apollo
>7 rode a Saturn 1b and they had the shorts scared off them by this Pogo
>stick ride to orbit.  I believe the solution was found in time for Apollo
>8, which was the first manned Saturn V.

     Seems reasonable, but apparently shutting off the engine wasn't always
enough to prevent pogo, since Apollo 10's ascent was quite rough.
--
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead; there's something wrong.
Can you hear me, Major Tom?" -- David Bowie

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (09/24/90)

From article <7294@eos.UUCP>, by brody@eos.UUCP (Adam R. Brody):
>>> The book also mentioned that Apollo took 1.5 orbits around the Earth before
>>> TLI to gain momentum much like a discus thrower.  Can somebody explain this?
>>> Can it be like a gravity assist to another planet?
>
>>The parking orbit was just to check out the vehicle before proceeding to
>>the moon.  There was no momentum gain.
>
> That is what I thought also but the book very clearly and explicitly
> mentioned the gain and the analogy to a discus thrower.
Indeed. The book is wrong. The book also says:

1) Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier in the X15

2) Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen

3) "Direct Ascent" means firing engines all the way to the moon.

4) Saturn V  Rockets only accelerate because they are getting lighter (he
also seems to think that G force increasing means gravity is increasing). My
personal favourite, this.

5) LH2/LOX is hypergolic.

etc etc.

Book claims to have numerous proof readers & researchers but what they
were doing escapes me. Only value of this book is the astronaut stories
& even there a lot is borrowed from "Carrying the Fire" etc.

Book also acknowledges Larry Hagman ("JR"). I wonder how he helped ?

Nick

--
Dr. Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND

megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) (09/25/90)

In article <3498@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
>2) Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen

I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.

>5) LH2/LOX is hypergolic.

Oh boy, you mean it isn't? (This is a joke, the above isn't.)

>Book also acknowledges Larry Hagman ("JR"). I wonder how he helped ?

He played an astronaut in 'I Dream of Genie'

#  "Calling Garland operator 7G," EVE           Email megazone@wpi.wpi.edu    #
# MEGAZONE, aka DAYTONA, aka BRIAN BIKOWICZ     Bitnet Use a gateway. Sorry.  #

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (09/25/90)

In article <15953@wpi.WPI.EDU>, megazone@wpi (MEGAZONE 23) writes:
>In article <3498@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
>>[someone's book falsely claims that] Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen
>
>I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.

No, the second and third stages did (they used the same engine design, while
the first stage was different).  The first stage burned RP-1 (Rocket Propellant
1, which is kerosene with an attitude) and LOX.

>>Book also acknowledges Larry Hagman ("JR"). I wonder how he helped ?
>
>He played an astronaut in 'I Dream of Genie'
He must have made available the scientific advisors for that show.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

In article <15953@wpi.WPI.EDU> megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) writes:
>>2) Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen
>
>I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.

No; the first stage used kerosene (well, RP-1), not LH2.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

lwake@runcible.West.Sun.COM (Larry Wake) (09/26/90)

Watkins) writes:
>Book also acknowledges Larry Hagman ("JR"). I wonder how he helped ?

Well, he *was* an astronaut before he was an oil baron.  Or aren't you
blessed with "I Dream of Jeannie" reruns in the UK?
--
Larry Wake, Sun Microsystems (larry.wake@west.sun.com)
"I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty..."

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (09/26/90)

From article <15953@wpi.WPI.EDU>, by megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23):
> In article <3498@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
>>2) Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen
>
> I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.
In case any one else is under same impression, SIC used Kerosene & LOX,
upper stages (SII & SIVB) *only* used LOX & LH2. I think shuttle (&
Energia core ?) are only cases of LH2 being used in stages which ignite
on the ground, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nick
--

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (09/26/90)

From article <3513@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, by nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins):
>> I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.
> In case any one else is under same impression, SIC used Kerosene & LOX,

Close examination of a colour photograph of a Saturn V liftoff will show
the exhaust to have a brown colouration immediately below the S1C
nozzles, which is a little longer than the nozzles themselves, and just
before the brilliant white flame starts.  This "brown"(?) exhaust is
also apparent on close-up film footage of the liftoff (good example in
the For All Mankind movie) as the rocket nozzles pass the camera.  I
assume this is the exhaust from the burnt Kerosene, anyone else know
better or more? LH2/LOX exhaust would, I assume, be colourless or
blue/white (as on Shuttle's SSMEs).

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (09/26/90)

In article <3498@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:

>Book also acknowledges Larry Hagman ("JR"). I wonder how he helped ?

Why everyone knows that Larry Hagman was one of the original NASA astronauts.
They all saw it on "I Dream of Jeannie". :-)

Gary

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (09/26/90)

In article <15953@wpi.WPI.EDU> megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) writes:
>>2) Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen
>I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.
>
>###############################################################################
>#  "Calling Garland operator 7G," EVE           Email megazone@wpi.wpi.edu    #
># MEGAZONE, aka DAYTONA, aka BRIAN BIKOWICZ     Bitnet Use a gateway. Sorry.  #
>###############################################################################

The Saturn V first stage burned an aviation-grade kerosene.

Peter Jarvis, Physio-Control

In article <3261@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:

>The Saturn V first stage burned an aviation-grade kerosene.

I should have said "aviation-grade kerosene and LOX". P.J............

davet@tsdiag.ccur.com (Dave Tiller N2KAU) (09/27/90)

In article <15953@wpi.WPI.EDU> megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) writes:
-In article <3498@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
->2) Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen
-
-I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.

I'm pretty sure it burned LOX and (hee..hee) Kerosene! Really...
--
David E. Tiller         davet@tsdiag.ccur.com  | Concurrent Computer Corp.
FAX:  201-870-5952      Ph: (201) 870-4119 (w) | 2 Crescent Place, M/S 117

jerry@altos86.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (09/27/90)

In article <15953@wpi.WPI.EDU> megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) writes:
>In article <3498@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
}}2) Saturn V first stage uses liquid hydrogen
}
}I was under the impression that it DID burn LH2 and LOX.

It does not, rather it burns kerosene and LOX.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (09/27/90)

In article <1096@tsdiag.ccur.com>, davet@tsdiag.ccur.com (Dave Tiller N2KAU) writes:

> I'm pretty sure it burned LOX and (hee..hee) Kerosene! Really...
> --
> David E. Tiller         davet@tsdiag.ccur.com  | Concurrent Computer Corp.

RP-1 is nothing to snicker at.  Hydrogen is light and has a high Isp,
but it has very poor volumetric efficiency (a fancy way to say it takes
up a lot of space.)  If the Saturn first stage had been hydrogen powered,
the fuel tanks would have been a lot larger (I can gen some more reliable
numbers if anyone is interested, but 5 or 6 to 1  is about right.)
Take a look at a cutaway of the external tank and see how much is
for the liquid hydrogen.  Or better yet, look at cutaways of the
S-IC and S-II.  The difference in fuel tank size is very apparent.
RP-1 is the booster fuel in the Delta and Atlas, which are still the
most reliable launch vehicles around.
Hydrogen makes sense for upper stages, but using it to boost from
the ground is not so great.

There have been proposals to switch the Shuttle to hydrocarbons,
usually liquified natural gas (methane), or liquified petroleum gas
(propane), both for volumetric efficiency and ease of handling.
Imminently sensible proposals, IMHO.
--
Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN USA

drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) (09/28/90)

In article <5633@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) writes:
>RP-1 is the booster fuel in the Delta and Atlas, which are still the
                                           ^^^^^
Ahem.  I beg to differ.  The Atlas DOES use LH2 for its booster fuel.
In fact,  it was the use of hydrogen fuel that made it possible for the Atlas
to have such high payload weights for its day (late 50's-early 60's).

>Hydrogen makes sense for upper stages, but using it to boost from
>the ground is not so great.

Until Energia (which also uses hydrogen) the Soviets had used nothing
but kerosene/LOX for fuel.  They've  had huge boosters,  but relatively
small payloads for their size.

BTW,  when NASA  started to put Mercury capsules on Atlases (instead of
Redstones),  there was a lot of concern about having humans ride on hydrogen-
based boosters.  Von Braun was not convinced of the safety of hydrogen
fuel.  (Which may partly explain why the Saturn V had a kerosene first
stage.) Reportedly,  when he first heard that one of the astronauts was going
to ride an Atlas into orbit (was it Glenn?) his reply was "He ought to get a
medal just for sitting on it!"

-Ted Drude

drudtb@ingr  of !ingr!infonode!drudetb

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.151756.3973@infonode.ingr.com>, drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:
> In article <5633@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) writes:
> >RP-1 is the booster fuel in the Delta and Atlas, which are still the
>                                            ^^^^^
> Ahem.  I beg to differ.  The Atlas DOES use LH2 for its booster fuel.
> In fact,  it was the use of hydrogen fuel that made it possible for the Atlas
> to have such high payload weights for its day (late 50's-early 60's).

GARBAGE!  Go look in any reference.  The Atlas is RP-1 and LOX.
The Centaur upper stage used along with the Atlas now is LH2, but
the basic booster uses RP-1.

> >Hydrogen makes sense for upper stages, but using it to boost from
> >the ground is not so great.
>
> Until Energia (which also uses hydrogen) the Soviets had used nothing
> but kerosene/LOX for fuel.  They've  had huge boosters,  but relatively
> small payloads for their size.

Because the structures are so heavy.  Besides, as I said before,
hydrogen does make sense in the upper stages, where weight is
at a great premium.  For the first stage, though, the volume of
fuel consumed tends to override the weight savings.  I had my
Saturn V flight manual (AS-507) out last night, and I don't remember
all the details, but the SII had a fuel tank 50% larger than the
S-IC, even though its total impulse was about 1/3 that of the S-IC
(410 million pound force-seconds vs. 1440 )  Now, it's true that
if LH2 had been used for the booster stage, all that impulse
wouldn't have been necessary, due to the lower fuel weight, but the
added size of the tankage would have made the stage heavier,
and making a clear comparison takes a lot more time than I have.
Everything is a trade off.  For the upper stages, hydrogen is
the clear winner, but for the booster, it isn't so certain.

> BTW,  when NASA  started to put Mercury capsules on Atlases

[etc.... based on the incorrect assertion that the
Atlas was LH2]i

> [von Braun's] reply was "He ought to get a  medal just for sitting on it!"

Up to that time, there had been a lot of problems with Atlases blowing
up or otherwise not making it to orbit.  It doesn't change the fact
that it was an RP-1 fueled vehicle.

(was it Glenn?)

Yes, John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth.
(You mean you know all about boosters, but you don't know
what every six year old space buff knows?  Interesting.)
--

In article <1990Sep28.151756.3973@infonode.ingr.com> drudetb@infonode.UUCP (Ted B. Drude) writes:
>Ahem.  I beg to differ.  The Atlas DOES use LH2 for its booster fuel.

Sorry, you are misinformed.  LOX and kerosene.  The Centaur upper stage,
when it is used (it wasn't for, e.g., Mercury), does burn hydrogen.

>In fact,  it was the use of hydrogen fuel that made it possible for the Atlas
>to have such high payload weights for its day (late 50's-early 60's).

Sorry again.  Hydrogen had nothing to do with it.  Hydrogen engines were not
sufficiently well developed to be used for Atlas; NASA had considerable
trouble getting them ready in time for Centaur and Saturn.  Atlas's high
payload mass with a 1.5-stage launcher was due mostly to the use of
"balloon tanks", relying on tank pressurization for most of the structural
strength of the rocket.  Exploiting the extra strength of pressurized
tanks was not novel, but relying on it to the extent that the rocket
would collapse unless pressurized was.  This gave outstandingly low
structural weights, and a plain Atlas (no Centaur) is the closest thing
to a single-stage-to-orbit launcher the US has ever built.

(For those who are mystified about how you get half a stage:  Atlas drops
two of its three engines, and some associated structure and equipment,
partway up.  The third engine burns from launch to orbit.)

>Until Energia (which also uses hydrogen) the Soviets had used nothing
>but kerosene/LOX for fuel...

Well, not strictly true.  They also use the UDMH/N2O4 combination in
some of their boosters, notably the first stage of Proton as I recall.

>BTW,  when NASA  started to put Mercury capsules on Atlases (instead of
>Redstones),  there was a lot of concern about having humans ride on hydrogen-
>based boosters...

No, there was a lot of concern about having humans ride on Atlas in
particular.  Its reliability record was dismal.  NASA lost a lot of
lunar and planetary probes to Atlas failures in the early days, and
of course it was NASA that got blamed for it.

>...(Which may partly explain why the Saturn V had a kerosene first
>stage.)...

No, the reasons for the kerosene first stage are quite simple and well
known.  The single biggest reason for hydrogen's high exhaust velocity
(which makes it a lightweight fuel for upper stages) is the low molecular
weight of the exhaust.  This works *against* it in first stages, because
low molecular weight also means low thrust for a given engine size,
other things being equal.  First stages are not too sensitive to weight
but care a lot about thrust, and being big they also prefer high-density
fuels (which hydrogen isn't).  All of this might have meant kerosene in
any case for the S-IC stage... but it was academic, because there simply
was no prospect of developing a sufficiently large hydrogen engine in time.
Getting the J-2 ready for the second and third stages was hard enough.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (10/01/90)

drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:

>Until Energia (which also uses hydrogen) the Soviets had used nothing
>but kerosene/LOX for fuel.  They've  had huge boosters,  but relatively
>small payloads for their size.

     I don't remember the source (I think it was _The Russian Space Bluff_;
I don't remember the author's name either), but I have read that the Proton
booster utilized hypergolic propellants.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?
--
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead; there's something wrong.
Can you hear me, Major Tom?" -- David Bowie

gmk@texhrc.UUCP (Gail Kahle) (10/09/90)

Does anyone know where I can get a list of the universities that have
been designated as "Space Grant" universities ?  I have heard that there
are as many as 25, and the list includes LSU and Univ. of Calif-San Diego.
Thanks.

Gail Kahle
Texaco, Inc.
Houston, Tx