[sci.space.shuttle] Atlas

Mike.McManus@FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep29.233359.6067@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <1990Sep28.151756.3973@infonode.ingr.com> drudetb@infonode.UUCP (Ted B. Drude) writes:
> >In fact,  it was the use of hydrogen fuel that made it possible for the
> >Atlas to have such high payload weights for its day (late 50's-early 60's).
>
> Sorry again.  Hydrogen had nothing to do with it.  Hydrogen engines were not
> sufficiently well developed to be used for Atlas; NASA had considerable
> trouble getting them ready in time for Centaur and Saturn.  Atlas's high
> payload mass with a 1.5-stage launcher was due mostly to the use of
> "balloon tanks", relying on tank pressurization for most of the structural
> strength of the rocket.  Exploiting the extra strength of pressurized
> tanks was not novel, but relying on it to the extent that the rocket
> would collapse unless pressurized was.

If I recall correctly, several years ago (8-10?), there was an Atlas on display
at the USAF Museum in Dayton that had a pressurization system that was used to
maintain it's "posture".  At some point, the system failed, and the whole thing
collapsed like a paper cup.  I can remember seeing the picture on the front
page of the Dayton Daily News, and having seen the rocket at the museum before
the mishap.
--
Disclaimer: All spelling and/or grammar in this document are guaranteed to be
            correct; any exseptions is the is wurk uv intter-net deemuns,.

Mike McManus                        Mike.McManus@FtCollins.NCR.COM, or
NCR Microelectronics                ncr-mpd!mikemc@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com, or
2001 Danfield Ct.                   uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!garage!mikemc
Ft. Collins,  Colorado
(303) 223-5100   Ext. 378

serre@boulder.Colorado.EDU (SERRE GLENN) (10/09/90)

I heard a story once that an Atlas at VAFB had depressurized inadvertently
with a satellite on top, resulting in a partial collapse of the rocket.
Can anyone out there substantiate or disprove this story?

--Glenn Serre
serre@tramp.colorado.edu

gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau/10000) (10/10/90)

In article <27755@boulder.Colorado.EDU> serre@tramp.Colorado.EDU (SERRE GLENN) writes:
>I heard a story once that an Atlas at VAFB had depressurized inadvertently
>with a satellite on top, resulting in a partial collapse of the rocket.
>Can anyone out there substantiate or disprove this story?
>
>--Glenn Serre
>serre@tramp.colorado.edu

The only incident I can remember was about 10 years ago. The Atlas that was
on display at Wright Pattereson AFB lost pressure and crumpled.
Don't know about any on the pad.

gregc@cimage.com

marcus@illusion.uucp (Marcus Hall) (10/12/90)

In article <MIKE.MCMANUS.90Oct8080436@mustang.FtCollins.NCR.com> Mike.McManus@FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) writes:
>If I recall correctly, several years ago (8-10?), there was an Atlas on display
>at the USAF Museum in Dayton that had a pressurization system that was used to
>maintain it's "posture".  At some point, the system failed, and the whole thing
>collapsed like a paper cup.  I can remember seeing the picture on the front
>page of the Dayton Daily News, and having seen the rocket at the museum before
>the mishap.

Several years ago I was at the Space and Rocket Center in Alabama.  There is
an old Atlas there, laying out by the Saturn V, mounted in it's trailer/trans-
porter/whatever.

The first day, I noticed that part of the upper tankage was dented in.  At
the time, I was thinking that it was a shame that most of the rocket was in
such good shape except for this (major) flaw.  (The dent was several feet
long, about 9 inches across, and max about 3-4 inches deep.)

On the next day, I saw some technicians out re-pressurizing the tank (with
nitrogen I believe) and the "dent" popped back out.  It was no longer
noticable.  I hope that this doesn't happen too often since I would guess
that the thin aluminum will eventually tear, but this was a very good
illustration of just how thin the skin really is.

Marcus Hall

In article <1990Oct11.204633.2565@illusion.uucp> marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) writes:
>...an old Atlas there...
>On the next day, I saw some technicians out re-pressurizing the tank (with
>nitrogen I believe) and the "dent" popped back out...
>...I hope that this doesn't happen too often since I would guess
>that the thin aluminum will eventually tear, but this was a very good
>illustration of just how thin the skin really is.

Actually, it's stainless steel, not aluminum.  About the thickness of a
dime.  With pressure inside it, it is *really tough* -- a heavy sledgehammer
just bounces off.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry