[sci.space.shuttle] Vandenberg Launch Pad

) (10/15/90)

In article <471@news.nd.edu> steven@dante.helios.nd.edu writes:
> ... can be explained due to that 62B was being launched
>from Vandenburg and 61I from Kennedy.

What ever happened to the launch pad at Vandenberg?  I seem to
remember that one launch was made, then the pad was closed due to
design flaws.  Is this correct?  If so, has the pad been closed
permanently, or are there some plans to correct the problem?

--
Hank Ptasinski
gumby@ucsd.edu

In article <13248@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ee251fas@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Gumby dammit!!) writes:
>What ever happened to the launch pad at Vandenberg?  I seem to
>remember that one launch was made, then the pad was closed due to
>design flaws.  Is this correct?  If so, has the pad been closed
>permanently, or are there some plans to correct the problem?

There has never been a shuttle launch from the Vandenberg pad, although
they were a few months from one at the time of the Challenger disaster.
The pad has one known technical problem, a long exhaust duct in which
there might be a dangerous hydrogen buildup in the event of a pad abort.
Solutions to that were being thought about.  Plans for the pad were put
on hold after Challenger.  Then the USAF lost interest in the shuttle,
and NASA didn't have enough polar-orbit launches to justify the costs
of activating it immediately, and the pad was mothballed.  The prospects
of using it for shuttle launches got progressively more remote, and the
idea was de facto abandoned some time ago.  Recently it has become more
official. The more useful shuttle support equipment from it has been moved
to KSC, and there is talk (don't remember the current status) of converting
the pad for Titan (reconverting it, actually, since it was originally
built for the abortive Titan IIIM).
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (10/16/90)

Greetings and Salutations:

>In article <471@news.nd.edu> steven@dante.helios.nd.edu writes:
>> ... can be explained due to that 62B was being launched
>>from Vandenburg and 61I from Kennedy.
>
>What ever happened to the launch pad at Vandenberg?  I seem to
>remember that one launch was made, then the pad was closed due to
>design flaws.  Is this correct?  If so, has the pad been closed
>permanently, or are there some plans to correct the problem?
>
>--
>Hank Ptasinski
>gumby@ucsd.edu

Vandenburg Air Force Base has never launched a shuttle.  The pad was in preps
for a shuttle launch, but was mothballed after Challenger.  Enterprise was
stacked there (for test purposes).  If I remember correctly, I heard
somewhere, possibly, something about it being converted to a Titan IV launch
pad.  By the way, I assume that we are conversing about SLC - 6 (Slick Six).

Ken Hollis

ProLine:  gandalf@pro-canaveral
Internet: gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-canaveral!gandalf