[sci.space.shuttle] Causes for Columbia leaks ??

gerwitz@Kodak.Com (Paul Gerwitz) (11/13/90)

Now that Columbia seems to be back together and ready to launch...

I don't recall any mention of the actual causes of the hydrogen leaks that
plagued it over the summer.  Maybe I just wasn't paying real close
attention this time around.  Any quick explanations ??

 | Paul F Gerwitz  WA2WPI  | SMTP: gerwitz@kodak.com                          |
 | Eastman Kodak Co        | UUCP: ..uunet!atexnet!kodak!eastman!gerwitz      |

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (11/13/90)

#
#I don't recall any mention of the actual causes of the hydrogen leaks that
#plagued it over the summer.  Maybe I just wasn't paying real close
#attention this time around.  Any quick explanations ??

The problem over the summer was in the 17 inch disconnect valve, which
had scratches in the telfon seals. The scratches were caused by small
glass beads. How the beads got there is unknown, but I have hard at
least two theories. When they were putting back together the engines
after fixing the disconnect valve, two seals were crushed, causing
leaks. In  fixing one leak they introduced two more. The procedures
were changed to prevent a reoccurance of this event.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) (11/14/90)

In article <1475@eastman.UUCP> gerwitz@Kodak.com writes:
>Now that Columbia seems to be back together and ready to launch...
>
>I don't recall any mention of the actual causes of the hydrogen leaks that
>plagued it over the summer.  Maybe I just wasn't paying real close
>attention this time around.  Any quick explanations ??

The result has been the bane of diagnosticians for a long time:
When they set up a system to allow them to watch it real carefully,
It didn't leak!

gregc@cimage.com

Wales.Larrison@ofa123.fidonet.org (Wales Larrison) (11/16/90)

>Now that Columbia seems to be back together and ready to launch...
>I don't recall any mention of the actual causes of the hydrogen
>leaks that plagued it over the summer.  Maybe I just wasn't paying
>real close attention this time around.  Any quick explanations ??

   The scuttlebutt in the industry was that the Columbia problems
were caused by the new MLP used, and some mis-judgements and
untrained technicans.  Now this is "third bar seat on the left"
unoffical rumor data, but I've heard it from a couple of sources.
   The Mobile Launch Platform (MLP) used for the initial tanking
test was a new one - and the cleaning procedures used on the cryo
lines through the MLP through the aft end of the orbiter and into ET
weren't really up to snuff.  When they did the first tanking test,
they found cleaning material grit in the fuel system filters (used to
clean the MLP cryo lines before use...) - and since that is very
highly abrasive, and not something you want to run through high
speed turbopumps, and shouldn't have been there in the first place -
they decided to dissamble and clean out the MPS (Main Propulsion
System) feedlines in the aft end of the orbiter.
   The MPS system is pretty complex, since the systems are very
complex physically, pretty sizable (each line is about 24" across),
and are vacuum jacketed and foamed.  There are about 83 pieces which
have to be fitted back together and tested.  Disassembly and
reassembly has been done several times - each system is assembled
and tested at the Rockwell manufacturing plant in Palmdale,
California when each shuttle is built, and at the Arrowhead Products
plant in Southern California, when they make the parts before
shipping them to Rockwell Palmdale.  Nobody knew of one being
stripped and reassembled at KSC.
    The rumor goes that Rockwell Palmdale and Arrowhead Products
quickly put together a team to go down to KSC and perform the work
needed - figuring the most experienced team would do the job the
quickest and best.  However, NASA KSC and Lockheed, the Shuttle
operations contractor to NASA KSC, have been pushing for more
maintenance work to be done at KSC.  (They figure after the
Endeavour is built, all of the Rockwell technicans will be out of a
job, so they'll have to fix it themselves...) So they decided that
Lockheed shuttle techs would strip down, clean, and reassemble the
MPS at KSC.
    However, in putting the system back together, several teflon
seals were "crushed", which allowed the leaks.  This required
dissasembling and retesting the system, yet again.
    To their credit, the Lockheed techs did manage to get it put
back together the right way, and the tested leak rate is the lowest
of any shuttle.

    Remember - this is rumor - and unconfirmed by any published
reports.

--
Wales Larrison
Internet: Wales.Larrison@ofa123.fidonet.org