[sci.space.shuttle] Re : Tiles

gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (11/23/90)

Greetings and Salutations:

>From: LABRIE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com
>Subject: Tiles
>Columbia or Enterprise gliding in with about a third of its tiles missing

If you are referring to the time that Columbia was ferried from Palmdale back
to KSC aboard the SCA (Shuttle Carrier Aircraft), The missing "Tiles" you saw
was the initial removal of the dice tiles to later be replaced by AFRSI
(Advanced Felt Reusable Surface Insulation).  There has never been a massive
loss of tiles From Re-entry.

>of the shuttle.  You can expect about 500 to 1000 of these tiles to be
damaged
>per flight.  Most can be repaired in place by drilling out the pits or holes,
>filling with paste, and sanding smooth.  But about 100 to 150 of these will
>be beyond repair and need to be replaced.  Technicians have to carefully

About a dozen or so are so damaged that they have to be replaced, with a total
of maybe 100 tiles hit plus or minus 25.

>of the blankets.  An easy way to tell most of the tiles from the blanket
>squares is, the tiles are usually black or grey and the blankets are white.

The grey parts are reinforced carbon-carbon for high temperature areas.

>John E. Labrie
>GE Corporate Research and Development
>Schenectady, New York             USA

>From: dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey)
>Subject: Re: Tiles

>Discovery and Atlantis have a lot of white tiles.  Challenger and Columbia
>had/have a lot more.
>Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

Columbia used to have the 1" dice tiles all over the vehicle, but they also
have been replaced with the AFRSI (essentially quartz blankets impregnated
with ceramics).  Columbia still has large white tiles on the crew module.  The
other vehicles are basically all AFRSI except on small areas on the OMS pods
on the front near where the black tile is, and on the side where the black
tile is (the black tile was installed after high heating areas were noticed &
there was a burn-through on the side of the OMS pod).  There is also some
white tile on the nose around the windows.

By the way, the black "Glove" area on Columbia (The front part of the upper
wing that is black, unlike the other two orbiters) is FRSI painted black, and
is not tile.  At one time there was a thought that this part of the wing would
have to be warmed up more during the barbecue rolls for reentry.  It was found
out that is is not required.

Ken Hollis

ProLine:  gandalf@pro-canaveral
Internet: gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-canaveral!gandalf

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (11/23/90)

In article <5818@crash.cts.com> gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) writes:

>From: LABRIE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com
>>Columbia or Enterprise gliding in with about a third of its tiles missing

>If you are referring to the time that Columbia was ferried from Palmdale back
>to KSC aboard the SCA (Shuttle Carrier Aircraft), The missing "Tiles" you saw
>was the initial removal of the dice tiles to later be replaced by AFRSI
>(Advanced Felt Reusable Surface Insulation).  There has never been a massive
>loss of tiles From Re-entry.

No Shuttle is ever ferried from Palmdale.  They don't have a mate-demate
device there, so the Shuttle is towed from the north side of Plant 42,
through Lancaster, onto Edwards AFB.  (One of Henry Spencer's AvLeak
digests mentioned that the MDD from Vandenberg was going to be moved
to Palmdale to make good this deficiency.)

Columbia's tiling had fallen behind schedule and a decision was made to
take it and its tiling team to KSC, so that the tiling could be completed
there, synchronously with other, internal work.  I believe that temporary
tiles, a la the Enterprise's painted styrofoam, were installed to reduce
drag and protect the underfelting.  These were either poorly attached or
not flexibly enough attached and they were shed (to the tune of "The
Autumn Leaves Come Drifting Down"?) during the mating, taxi-ing, and
takeoff.  This was, of course, before the first Shuttle flight.  The
removal of dice tiles for AFRSI (pronounced A-frizzy) happened much later
in the flight program.

>By the way, the black "Glove" area on Columbia (The front part of the upper
>wing that is black, unlike the other two orbiters) is FRSI painted black, and
>is not tile.  At one time there was a thought that this part of the wing would
>have to be warmed up more during the barbecue rolls for reentry.  It was found
>out that is is not required.

The barbeque mode is used on orbit, for temperature control.  Those
re-entry rolls are used for kinetic and potential energy dissipation,
not for temperature control.

It is correct that they initially believed that that area would get
hotter than it does, but the rolls aren't used to warm it up.

Or are you saying that they thought it would get hotter but found, in
actual flight, that it didn't and that the FRSI wasn't needed, that the
tiles could handle it?  That wouldn't surprise me, but it wouldn't be
the rolls making the difference.
--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA