[sci.space.shuttle] Unofficial Space Shuttle Launch Manifest

steven@dante.helios.nd.edu (11/16/90)

There have been some requests in sci.space.shuttle for a space shuttle launch
manifest. NASA is preparing one at the moment, but in the mean time, readers
may find this unofficial manifest I have prepared useful.

This manifest makes use of an older manifest issued earlier in the year as well
as any other information I have been able to gleen from Aviation Week and Space
Technology, Flight International, sci.space and sci.space.shuttle. I would say
that the manifest is reliable up to STS-40 (and even then I could be wrong).
Poor STS-37 has been bumped so many times that NASA may decide to fly it in the
May slot. However, STS-43 carries a high priority TDRS satellite so GRO will
probably have to wait.

Columbia is scheduled for about a years worth of maintenance after its April
flight. I have assumed that NASA will delay STS-42 (IML-1) and STS-45 (ATLAS-1)
until 1992 for flights on either Columbia (when it returns) or Endeavour (when
it starts flying). Only Columbia and Endeavour are (will) be able to fly the 10
day missions originally scheduled for IML-1 and ATLAS-1. Alternatively, NASA may
shorten these Spacelab missions to 7 or 8 days and fly them at the end of 1991.

The launch dates I have given are from the earlier official manifest. Since
there are only 7 launches in 1991 now (according to AW&ST) instead of 8, the
launch dates in 1991 are likely to spread out.

STS     Date     Orbiter    Payload
 35  12 Dec. 90  Columbia   ASTRO-1, BBXRT-1 (Broad Band X-Ray Telescope)
 39   1 Feb. 91  Discovery  CIRRIS (AFP-675), IBSS, STP-1
 44   4 Mar. 91  Atlantis   DSP (DoD early warning satellite)
 40   4 Apr. 91  Columbia   SLS-1 (Spacelab Life Sciences)
 43  16 May  91  Discovery  TDRS-E (Tracking and Data Relay Satellite)
 37  17 Jun. 91  Atlantis   GRO (Gamma Ray Observatory)
 46  22 Aug. 91  Discovery  TSS-1, EURECA-1 (European Retrievable Carrier)
 47  30 Sep. 91  Atlantis   SL-J (Spacelab Japan)
ASTRO	Ultraviolet Astronomy
ATLAS	Atmospheric Laboratory for Applications and Science
CIRRIS	Cryogenic Infrared Radiance Instrument for Shuttle
DSP	Defence Support Program
IBSS	Infrared Background Signature Survey
IML	International Microgravity Laboratory
STP	??
TSS	Tethered Satellite System

--
Steven Pietrobon, steven@ndsun.ee.nd.edu
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.151455.20484@news.nd.edu>, steven@dante.helios.nd.edu writes:

>STS     Date     Orbiter    Payload
> 35  12 Dec. 90  Columbia   ASTRO-1, BBXRT-1 (Broad Band X-Ray Telescope)
> 39   1 Feb. 91  Discovery  CIRRIS (AFP-675), IBSS, STP-1
> 44   4 Mar. 91  Atlantis   DSP (DoD early warning satellite)

Are you sure about this one? Oh, I guess it just won't be "classified." Dan the
Man and the evening news media was hyping how yesterday Atlantis launch was
the last DoD flight, and Defense was finished with the Shuttle.

goletz@netcom.UUCP (Eddie Goletz) (11/19/90)

>>STS     Date     Orbiter    Payload
>> 35  12 Dec. 90  Columbia   ASTRO-1, BBXRT-1 (Broad Band X-Ray Telescope)
>> 39   1 Feb. 91  Discovery  CIRRIS (AFP-675), IBSS, STP-1
>> 44   4 Mar. 91  Atlantis   DSP (DoD early warning satellite)
>
>Are you sure about this one? Oh, I guess it just won't be "classified." Dan the
>Man and the evening news media was hyping how yesterday Atlantis launch was
>the last DoD flight, and Defense was finished with the Shuttle.

STS-38 is the last "secure" DoD flight.  JSC needs some room for their
space station control room and they can't afford the upkeep on the secure
control room (I think I heard a number of $60 million a year, but that was
just a rumor.)  They asked the DoD if they would pay for the upkeep.  They said
no.  Therefore, the secure control room will be ripped out after this flight
and replaced with a space station control room.  There will be more DoD
flights, they just wont be "secure."  An example would be STS-44.  This used
to be a very secret hush hush DoD flight.  However, because the secure control
room wont be there, most of that mission became unclassified a few months
ago.

By the way, I think STS-44 is now in July and STS-43 is now in August, or is
that vice versa?  I don't have the dates in front of me at the moment.

Eddie Goletz
netcom!goletz@apple.com

steven@dante.helios.nd.edu (11/26/90)

This Unofficial Space Shuttle Manifest is a combination of various manifests.
Eddie Goletz (netcom!goletz@apple.com) provided me the dates for the first
seven flights to Oct. 91. This information is from a NASA document dated
16 Nov. 1990 (this document is not for public distribution, but shuttle launch
information can be taken off them). This manifest lists 30 Nov. 90 as the
date for STS-35. I have change this date to 10 Dec. 90 based on information
from Aviation Week and Space Technology (I think!).

The dates from STS-42 to STS-50 are from the manifest that Ken Hollis
(gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com) recently posted from an older manifest (dated
25 Oct. 90). I have changed the date of STS-42 from 30 Sep. 91 to 25 Nov. 91
to reflect the later launch date of STS-48. AW&ST reports though that there
may be only six flights next year, so STS-42 may be delayed to 1992.

The rest of the manifest is pure speculation on my part and is based on the
old Jan. 1990 manifest. I would like to thank Joseph Fedock
(techpubs@prc.unisys.com) for telling me what STP stands for (although I now
have two new acronyms which I don't know about!).

STS     Date     Orbiter    Payload
 35  10 Dec. 90  Columbia   ASTRO-1, BBXRT-1 (Broad Band X-Ray Telescope)
 39  26 Feb. 91  Discovery  CIRRIS (AFP-675), IBSS, STP-1, MPEC
 37   8 Apr. 91  Atlantis   GRO (Gamma Ray Observatory)
 40   6 May  91  Columbia   SLS-1 (Spacelab Life Sciences), GAS Bridge
 43  24 Jun. 91  Discovery  TDRS-E (Tracking and Data Relay Satellite)
 44   2 Aug. 91  Atlantis   DSP (Defence Support Program)
 48  17 Oct. 91  Discovery  UARS (Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite)
 42  25 Nov. 91  Atlantis   IML-1 (International Microgravity Laboratory)
 46   9 Jan. 92  Discovery  TSS-1 (Tethered Satellite System), EURECA-1L
 47  15 Feb. 92  Atlantis   SL-J (Spacelab Japan)
 49   9 Mar. 92  Endeavour  Geostar-1, USMP-1, Intelsat VI recovery
 50  30 Mar. 92  Columbia   USML-1 (United States Microgravity Laboratory), EDO
 51  28 May  92  Atlantis   Starlab (DoD Spacelab)
 45  18 Jun. 92  Endeavour  ATLAS-1
 52  16 Jul. 92  Columbia   SL-D2 (Spacelab Germany)
 53   6 Aug. 92  Discovery  ACTS (Advanced Communications Technology Satellite)
 54   3 Sep. 92  Atlantis   LAGEOS II (Laser Geodynamics Satellite), EURECA-1R
 55  30 Sep. 92  Endeavour  Spacehab-1, SPAS-ORFEUS, Geostar-2
 56  29 Oct. 92  Columbia   SLS-2 (Space Life Sciences)
 57  28 Jan. 93  Discovery  SRL-1 (Space Radar Laboratory)
 58  25 Feb. 93  Endeavour  TDRS-F (Tracking and Data Relay Satellite)
 59  18 Mar. 93  Columbia   IML-2 (International Microgravity Laboratory)
 60  15 Apr. 93  Discovery  ATLAS-2
 61   6 May  93  Atlantis   Spacehab-2, Geostar-3
ASTRO	Ultraviolet Astronomy
ATLAS   Atmospheric Laboratory for Applications and Science
CIRRIS	Cryogenic Infrared Radiance Instrument for Shuttle
EDO     ??
EURECA  European Retrievable Carrier
GAS     Get Away Special
Geostar Interactive Radiodetermination Satellite
IBSS	Infrared Background Signature Survey
MPEC	??
ORFEUS  Orbiting and Retrievable Far and Extreme Ultraviolet Spectrometer
SPAS    Shuttle Pallet Satellite
STP	Space Test Program

--

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (11/27/90)

From article <0093FCDC.FAD600C0@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, by sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney):
>> 44   4 Mar. 91  Atlantis   DSP (DoD early warning satellite)
> Are you sure about this one? Oh, I guess it just won't be "classified." Dan the
You are right, it won't be. But if it were on a Titan IV it would be.
And no, I'm not sure why,

Nick