[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Abort Modes

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (11/27/90)

The following is an excerpt from the STS-41 Press Kit (found in the space
archive on ames.arc.nasa.gov).  It lists the abort modes and landing sites.

							-Peter Yee
							yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov
							ames!yee
        SPACE SHUTTLE ABORT MODES

        Space Shuttle launch abort philosophy is to achieve a safe and intact
        recovery of the flight crew, orbiter and its payload.

        Abort modes include:

        % Abort-To-Orbit (ATO)

        Partial loss of main engine thrust late enough to permit
        reaching a minimal 105-nautical mile orbit with orbital
        maneuvering system engines.

        % Abort-Once-Around (AOA)

        Earlier main engine shutdown with the capability to allow one
        orbit around before landing at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.;
        White Sands Space Harbor (Northrup Strip), N. Mex.; or the
        Shuttle Landing Facility (SLF) at Kennedy Space Center, Fla..

        % Trans-Atlantic Abort Landing (TAL)

        Loss of two main engines midway through powered flight would
        force a landing at Ben Guerir, Morocco; Moron, Spain; or
        Banjul, The Gambia.

        % Return-To-Launch-Site (RTLS)

        Early shutdown of one or more engines and without enough
        energy to reach Ben Guerir, would result in a pitch around and
        thrust back toward KSC until within gliding distance of the
        Shuttle Landing Facility.

        STS-41 contingency landing sites are Edwards AFB, White Sands,
        Kennedy Space Center, Ben Guerir, Moron and Banjul.

c8921212@frey.nu.oz.au (luke plaizier) (11/27/90)

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

>The following is an excerpt from the STS-41 Press Kit
>        SPACE SHUTTLE ABORT MODES

>        Abort modes include:

>        % Abort-To-Orbit (ATO)

	{.............}

>        % Abort-Once-Around (AOA)

	{............}

>        % Trans-Atlantic Abort Landing (TAL)

	{............}

>        % Return-To-Launch-Site (RTLS)

	Aaahhh...but Pete, you forgot two quite important ones, of which one has
already happened...

	% Crash Into The Ground (CITG)

	Where all three main engines shut off during SRB burn and the stack
cannot correct itself well enough. Results in severe damage to the orbiter with
NASA saying they had always WANTED to maintain flight crew and orbiter safety.

	% Explode In Might Flight (EIMF)

	This abort mode is caused by a variety of Criticality 1 elements within
any stage of the flight from T-minus several days to T-plus several days. The
result is COMPLETE destruction to flight crew and orbiter with huge scandals
about how NASA operate its flight program ensuing.

	I certainly hope there's an administrator out there who'll take off the
blindfolds soon :-) (-:.

	Luke.

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (11/27/90)

In <1990Nov26.222928.6431@news.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>The following is an excerpt from the STS-41 Press Kit (found in the space
>archive on ames.arc.nasa.gov).  It lists the abort modes and landing sites.

>        Abort modes include:
>        % Abort-To-Orbit (ATO)
>        % Abort-Once-Around (AOA)
>        % Trans-Atlantic Abort Landing (TAL)
>        % Return-To-Launch-Site (RTLS)
>
>        Early shutdown of one or more engines and without enough
>        energy to reach Ben Guerir, would result in a pitch around and
>        thrust back toward KSC until within gliding distance of the
>        Shuttle Landing Facility.

I have been told that even in theory that situations leading to RTLS
would probably tear up the craft before the pilot was able to release
the engines or maybe even because the still working engine _was_
released! Is this folklore?

Leif Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

In article <1990Nov27.084918.2732@resam.dk> andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
>I have been told that even in theory that situations leading to RTLS
>would probably tear up the craft before the pilot was able to release
>the engines or maybe even because the still working engine _was_
>released! Is this folklore?

There is no "engine release" in RTLS; RTLS is available only after SRB
burnout.  (There is no, repeat no, abort method while the SRBs are burning.)

The hypersonic 180-degree turn for RTLS is something the astronauts are
not enthusiastic about.
--
"I'm not sure it's possible            | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
to explain how X works."               |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry