[sci.space.shuttle] Visit to Houston Space Centre...?

sullivan@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Rob Sullivan) (11/25/90)

Hi,
	I am currently spending the last week of a five week visit to
the USA in Houston. I am a solid state theorist from Exeter University
in England and I am here to discuss my postgraduate work with a
Professor in the high Tc center at the University of Houston. I am a
regular reader of this newsgroup and a real space enthusiast. I would
very much like to visit the Space center while I am here in Houston. I
would be most grateful for any details regarding the necessary
arrangements for such a visit. Such things as the availability of public
transport from the University to the center and the times of guided
tours. Any offers of a personal tour would be warmly accepted. Thanks
in advance...

					Robert Sullivan.

--
- - - -
Robert Sullivan           JANET    : sullivan@uk.ac.exeter.msor

"One must be open-minded --
 --but not so open-minded that one's brains fall out."

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (11/29/90)

In article <SULLIVAN.90Nov25025000@msor0.msor.exeter.ac.uk> sullivan@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Rob Sullivan) writes:
> I would very much like to visit the Space center while I am here in
> Houston. I would be most grateful for any details regarding the necessary
> arrangements for such a visit.

There really isn't that much on public display at JSC, and, unless you
have real business with NASA, the chances of a special tour are really
slim.  Here is what I got to see when I was there last month:

1. Rocket park - Saturn V bird stand, a little joe, and one other smaller
rocket (Atlas I think).

2. Engine dispaly - several engines on display outside of visitors center.

3. Visitors Center - one of each capsule (Mercury, Gemanii, Apollo), a
LEM, the flying bed-stead, a moon rock, a number of mock-ups of shuttle
and fred, and a few models of various space hardware.

4. Building 9 - Mock-ups of Fred used for training & fred's arm (with
a giant red maple leaf painted on).  Most of building 9 is closed for
construction, so you cannot see much of anything.

5. Building 31 - Moon rock storage.  You can walk through a hallway and
look at the moon rock storage vaults.  Looks much like a hospital.

6. Mission Control - Tickets required, get them at the info desk in the
visitors center.  You get to sit in the observation area and look at the
mission control room for 10 minutes.  Because of the thick glass, it is
nearly impossible to get any type of photos.

7. Gift shop - A counter in the cafateria.  Usually over crowed and
almost impossible to browse at.

If you are any kind of space fan, you really should visit JSC.  But
considering that over 1 million people a year visit there, there really
isn't that much to see or learn about.  They are about to build a new
visitors center.  Hopefully they will address the tourists a bit more.

One other thing that I noticed...about 80% of the visitors appeared to
be foriegn.  Houston must not be a very popular place for domestic
tourism.

While in Houston, visit the zoo (they have some very nice baby tigers at
the moment), and stop by and visit Combat Jets (prior phone call required).

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

gamorris@lescsse.uucp (Gary A. Morris) (11/30/90)

In <524@newave.UUCP> john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>In article <SULLIVAN.90Nov25025000@msor0.msor.exeter.ac.uk> sullivan@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Rob Sullivan) writes:
>> I would very much like to visit the Space center while I am here in
>> Houston. I would be most grateful for any details regarding the necessary
>> arrangements for such a visit.

There is a visitor information recording available by calling 713-483-4321.

The Johnson Space Center (JSC) is open to the public every day except
December 25th.  The visitor gate is open from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM,
buildings close at 4:30 PM.  Admission is free.  Tours are self-guided,
stay as long as you like at any display, except mission control tours
are guided and scheduled.

You should go to building 2 after arrival to get tickets for one of the
Flight Control Room (FCR) (mission control) tours.  Admission is free.
The FCR is closed to visitors during flights (starting the day before
launch).  If STS-35 launches as scheduled on Dec 2nd, mission control
will be closed from 12/2/90 to 12/11/90.  Guided tours start every 30
minutes, 100 tickets per tour are given out, first come first served.

>1. Rocket park - Saturn V bird stand, a little joe, and one other smaller
>rocket (Atlas I think).

It's a Redstone with a Mercury capsule.

--GaryM
--
Gary Morris                    Internet: lobster!lescsse!gamorris@menudo.uh.edu
Lockheed (LESC), A22           UUCP:     lobster!lescsse!gamorris