[sci.space.shuttle] Re : Re: Re : SSME's

gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (12/05/90)

Greetings and Salutations:

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>That's good to hear, since Canada has been contributing -- in modest ways --
>to the US space program ever since Project Mercury.....

I was, of course, referring only to the cost of the tech's and engineers
supporting the SSME's, not the other (obvious) contributions, the arm, science
packages, etc...

>Assuming they test out all right, when are they first scheduled to fly?
>My understanding is that they aren't.  If they test out all right, then

As far as I can tell, NASA is still awaiting the results, and will take it
from there.  It also includes the Powerhead 2 duct hot gas manifold change.
If the flights keep increasing, I don't see how they (assuming that all these
modifications test out correctly) can NOT incorporate them.  It IS time
consuming to remove the HPOTP each time & either R&R it (Replace & Retest) or
inspect it and reinstall it.  But that is up to the higher levels of decision
makers.  It is also up to the funding that comes out of Congress.

Ken Hollis

ProLine:  gandalf@pro-canaveral
Internet: gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-canaveral!gandalf