[sci.space.shuttle] Re : SSME Vs. F-1

gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (12/11/90)

Greetings and Salutations:

From: francis@cs.ua.oz.au (Francis Vaughan)
>Subject: Re: Re : SSME's (again...) + F-1s
>
>This discussion about redesign of parts of the SSMEs makes me
>rather curious about a few things. So far we have seen a new engine
 .
 .
 .
>Remember we have a proven overall design. We know that the F-1
>worked. In principle the old F-1 plus new turbopumps would fly,
>same after a new combustion chamber etc. Suddenly we have a new
>improved MANUFACTURABLE F-1.

Yes, in theory, you could remanufacture the F-1 to take the place of the
SRB's.  In theory (and I have actually seen this in practice) you can use
Lotus 1-2-3 for word processing also.  The F-1's were one time, throw away
engines.  They also used LOX & RP-1 (essentially kerosene) for fuel.  You also
are looking for a "good" specific impulse, Is = F/W  where "Is" is Specific
Impulse, "F" is thrust, "W" is propellant consumption i.e. Steady Weight Flow
Rate (lb/sec).  Basically what it boils down to is that LH2 has a much better
"W" than RP-1 because of the density of the fuels and the energy released.
For the Atlas using RP-1 the Is = 290 seconds.  For the Saturn V first stage
using RP-1 the Is = 300 seconds.  For the Saturn V second & third stage using
LH2 the Is = 425 seconds, and for the SSME the Is = 455 seconds.

If you are interested in the design of liquid rocket engines, I suggest
"Design Of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines" NASA Publication "NASA SP-125",
1971, Scientific and Technical Information Office, National Aeronautics and
Space Administration, Washington D.C.

I know the SRB's are bad enough about exhaust, but the way the
environmentalists have been acting lately, they probably would scream if a
"new generation" launch vehicle was made with complex carbons to kill the
ozone even more (Of course I am not sure if they have started thinking about
this angle yet...).

Ken Hollis

ProLine:  gandalf@pro-canaveral
Internet: gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-canaveral!gandalf

In article <6241@crash.cts.com> gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) writes:
>... The F-1's were one time, throw away engines...

"One time, throw away" engines that were designed to be fired 50 times,
please note.  There is really no such thing as a "throw away" engine with
regenerative cooling; they are all reusable if they can be recovered.

>... Basically what it boils down to is that LH2 has a much better
>"W" than RP-1 because of the density of the fuels and the energy released.

No, actually, the major advantage of LH2 is its low molecular weight.  Its
density is a major *dis*advantage, because it requires enormous tanks, to
the point where studies for single-stage-to-orbit systems often conclude
that a denser fuel is superior despite lower specific impulse.

>If you are interested in the design of liquid rocket engines, I suggest
>"Design Of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines" NASA Publication "NASA SP-125",
>1971...

Actually, the Sutton book (Elements of Rocket Propulsion, I think -- my
copy is at home) is a better place to start:  it's in print, unlike SP-125,
and gives a broader overall discussion with a gentler lead-in, and also
a more current discussion of some issues.  SP-125 is for hard-core techies.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry