[sci.space.shuttle] Re : Re: Re : SSME Vs. F-1

gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (12/14/90)

Greetings and Salutations

>From henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>... The F-1's were one time, throw away engines...
>"One time, throw away" engines that were designed to be fired 50 times,

As they say, there is a reason why they call it "Rocket Tape".  The basic
attitude towards the Saturn-V was that they would never see that stage again,
and to get it flying (one time) however they could.  When you expect to see
the vehicle back (as in the shuttle) then you are more careful how you design
and test (and when broken) fix.  I cannot speak up for the design of the F-1
(as to its life expectancy) but if it came from the same set of numbers that
were computed for the SSME's......

>>"W" than RP-1 because of the density of the fuels and the energy released.
>No, actually, the major advantage of LH2 is its low molecular weight.  Its
>density is a major *dis*advantage, because it requires enormous tanks, to

Right, I was attempting to say "Mass Flow Rate" for the major advantage of
LH2 VS RP-1.  The pure specific impulse is still better than RP-1, I didn't
mean to imply there might not be trade-offs.  The Ion engine has a fantastic
specific impulse, but has a very low thrust.  The SRB's have a specific
impulse of 265.5 seconds, but has a thrust of 3,300,000 Lbs at sea level VS a
specific impulse of 455 for the SSME's and a thrust of 375,000 Lbs at sea
level.  There is always a trade-off in the design, no matter what you are
designing.

Ken Hollis

ProLine:  gandalf@pro-canaveral
Internet: gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-canaveral!gandalf

In article <6303@crash.cts.com> gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) writes:
>... I cannot speak up for the design of the F-1
>(as to its life expectancy) but if it came from the same set of numbers that
>were computed for the SSME's......

The SSME is infamous for short life expectancy and poor reliability.  The F-1
was not.  Remember that although the engines only *flew* once, they were
generally ground-tested many times (which is why the engine for an expendable
stage was specified for 50 firings).
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec15.235958.10187@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>The SSME is infamous for short life expectancy and poor reliability.  The F-1
>was not.

The SSME is also quite a bit more complicated than the F-1 for good reasons.
They needed a fast-start engine. The F-1 took 3 times longer to get up to
thrust.    Peter Jarvis.....