[sci.space.shuttle] Re : whither the water?

gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (01/06/91)

Greetings and Salutations:

In article <1990Dec31.204130.2390@morrow.stanford.edu>
GE.LJB@forsythe.stanford.
edu (Louis J Bookbinder) writes:
>Does the Shuttle just dump human wastes, or does it filter out the
>solids?

The Waste Collection System is an integrated, multifunctional system used
primarily to collect and process biological wastes from crew members in a
zero-gravity environment.  The system collects, stores and dries fecal wastes
and associated tissues;  processes urine and transfers it to the waste water
tank; processes EMU (Extravehicular Mobility Unit) condensate water from the
airlock and transfers it to the waste water tank if an extravehicular activity
is required; provides an interface for venting trash container gasses
overboard;  provides an interface for dumping ARS (Air Revitalization System)
waste water overboard in a contingency situation; and transfers ARS waste
water to the waste water tank.

To "dry" the solids, the commode is depressurized.  To separate the liquids
from the air, the mixture enters a fan where centrifugal force separates the
liquid and draws it into a stationary pitot tube in a reservoir.

Ken Hollis

ProLine:  gandalf@pro-canaveral
Internet: gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-canaveral!gandalf

jimcat@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) (01/07/91)

In article <6717@crash.cts.com> gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) writes:
>In article <1990Dec31.204130.2390@morrow.stanford.edu>
>GE.LJB@forsythe.stanford.
>edu (Louis J Bookbinder) writes:
>>Does the Shuttle just dump human wastes, or does it filter out the
>>solids?
>
>To "dry" the solids, the commode is depressurized.  To separate the liquids
>from the air, the mixture enters a fan where centrifugal force separates the
>liquid and draws it into a stationary pitot tube in a reservoir.

 This is too good. Do you mean to tell me that the sh*t hits the fan? (-:

--
 Jim Kasprzak          kasprzak@mts.rpi.edu (internet)
 RPI, Troy, NY         userfe0u@rpitsmts.bitnet

In article <M2W^$D_@rpi.edu> jimcat@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
> This is too good. Do you mean to tell me that the sh*t hits the fan? (-:

That's correct.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry