[sci.space.shuttle] Urgent call for Fuel information

gwh@soda.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (01/09/91)

In <54610@bsu-ucs.uucp> 02jlhendry@bsu-ucs.uucp (RESEARCHING....) writes:
>I am a student at the Indiana Academy for Math, Sciences and Humanities. I am
>researching propellant fuels of American and Russian spacecraft. I need all
>information on all aspects of the fuels and am seeking to create and test some
>of the simpler fuels. All tests of complex or simple fuels would also be very
>helpfull. I would also like any comtacts that I could speak to in regards to the
>subject. All help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Here's a list of some liquid and solid fuel components.  _PLEASE_ note the
safety issues inherent with any work with propellants; all are energetic
chemicals and therefore fire hazards, and often are explosive or toxic.

Solid Propellants:
In all cases, it's given in terms of fuel / oxidizer
Asphalt / Ammonium Percholorate		ISp 200
Nitrocellulose & nitroglycerine		Isp 240
Polyurethane / perchlorate		Isp 245
Carboxy-terminated Polybutadiene / perch.   260
Hydroxy-Terminated PB / perch		260
Cross-linked double base (nitro^^)	270
Boron / perchlorate			270
Hetallic Hydride / Flouride		300

Liquid Propellants:
[i'm going to list components rather than combinations.  It's too messy to
list Isp of combinations]
Fuels:
Ammonia #
RP-1 (highly refined kerosene)
UDMH [Unsymetrical Dimethyl Hydrazine] *
Hydrazine *
UMDH/Hydrazine mixtures *
Liquid Hydrogen (cryogenic) #

Oxidizers:
Liquid Oxygen (cryo) #
Chlorine triflouride *
Hydrogen Peroxide #
Nitric Acid #
Nitrogen Tetroxide *
Liquid Flourine (cryo) *

the # indicates that this is an unhealthy substance.  a * means that it's very
toxic.  Handle with extreme care if at all.

                       George William Herbert
### UNIX ate my whole cluster this time! ** .sig pending ** I hate *p*ll*'s ###
 gwh@soda.berkeley.edu (for the duration)  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu gwh@ai.mit.edu