[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle

kev@ist.CO.UK (Kevin Holmes) (06/09/89)

Since I'm going to be in Florida (on honeymoon), I'd appreciate a quick
breakdown on scheduled events (hopefully launches!) at the Cape during
the above period.

Also since I've been given permission (!) to spend at least one day there,
I'd like some indication on those "mustn't miss" bits of a 'first-time'
visit.

Cheers,
Kev Holmes     kev@ist.CO.UK | "Selling software is just like
Imperial Software Technology |  prostitution; You've got it, You sell it,
Reading, Royal Berkshire, UK |  You've still got it!" - D. Lambert IST.

fari@athena.mit.edu (Fariborz Shahzamani) (01/09/91)

	Hi I have two questions

	   1) What is the shuttle glide ratio and the approach speed ?
	   2) Does FAA requires Shuttle to have mode C transponder on board?
						Regards

megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.213612.10219@athena.mit.edu> fari@athena.mit.edu (Fariborz Shahzamani) writes:
>	   1) What is the shuttle glide ratio and the approach speed ?

From The Space Shuttle Operators Manual by Kerry Mark Joels and Gregory P.
Kennedy. Ballantine Books, NY 1982
Starting from Maximum heating point.
Alt:230,000ft Speed:15,000mph
Alt:180,000ft Speed:8,300mph
Alt:90,000ft  Speed:Mach 3.3
Alt:83,000ft  Speed:Mach 2.5
Alt:50,000ft  Speed:Mach 1.0
Alt:13,300ft  Speed:424mph Glideslope 22 degrees
Alt:2,000ft   Speed:350mph Glideslope 1.5 degrees
Alt:135ft     Speed:340mph Flare
Alt:90ft      Speed:330mph Deploy gear
Alt:0ft       Speed:215mph Touchdown

>	   2) Does FAA requires Shuttle to have mode C transponder on board

I don't think so. Many light aircraft don't. If you don't have one you just
have to avoid certain airspaces.

#  "Calling Garland operator 7G," EVE           Email megazone@wpi.wpi.edu    #
# MEGAZONE, aka DAYTONA, aka BRIAN BIKOWICZ     Bitnet Use a gateway. Sorry.  #

james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) (01/09/91)

--
  James Gillespie,     /~~~~~~~~\  "What's that?"
 Edinurgh University. /   @  @   \ "It's a hand grenade"

james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) (01/09/91)

>megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) writes:

>>>	   2) Does FAA requires Shuttle to have mode C transponder on board

>>I don't think so. Many light aircraft don't. If you don't have one you just
>>have to avoid certain airspaces.

Somehow that got mangled.  What I said was: are you saying what I
think you're saying?  That must make the shuttle the biggest light
aircraft ever! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
--

rick@pixar.uucp (Rick Ace) (01/10/91)

> >          2) Does FAA requires Shuttle to have mode C transponder on board
>
> I don't think so. Many light aircraft don't. If you don't have one you just
> have to avoid certain airspaces.

According to the Federal Aviation Regulations:

All aircraft operating above 10,000 feet MSL must be equipped with Mode-C.
Also, all aircraft operating within the Positive Control Area
(I believe it's 18,000 feet to 60,000 feet) must be on an IFR
flight plan.

Not sure if these rules apply to military or other U.S. Government
flights, though...

Rick Ace

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.213612.10219@athena.mit.edu> fari@athena.mit.edu (Fariborz Shahzamani) writes:
>	   1) What is the shuttle glide ratio and the approach speed ?
>	   2) Does FAA requires Shuttle to have mode C transponder on board?

I don't remember the numbers, but the Shuttle glide ratio isn't high.
It's the equivalent of putting wings on a rock. :-)
As for mode C, it has its own equivalent of that plus plus alot of other
telemetry on board to let the tracking people know exactly where it is.
I don't know exactly what the FAA requires of NASA of the Shuttle, but
ATC probably advises other aircraft to stay clear of certain areas during
the Shuttle approach and landing phase.

Peter Jarvis...........

barrey@frodo.Novell.com (Barrey Jewall) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan9.224445.13813@pixar.uucp> rick@pixar.uucp (Rick Ace) writes:

>According to the Federal Aviation Regulations:

>All aircraft operating above 10,000 feet MSL must be equipped with Mode-C.
>Also, all aircraft operating within the Positive Control Area
>(I believe it's 18,000 feet to 60,000 feet) must be on an IFR
>flight plan.

>Not sure if these rules apply to military or other U.S. Government
>flights, though...

They don't.

Barrey

--
+ Barrey Jewall - Network  Admin.++ "My opinions are my opinions" +
+ barrey@novell.com	         ++ (rather self-evident, eh?)    +

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (01/16/91)

Somebody writes:

   2) Does FAA requires Shuttle to have mode C transponder on board

They can't.  NASA is a federal agency and isn't subject to FAA
requirements.  FAA only governs private aviation, not public.  Of
course, we go along with a lot of it, including sticking N numbers
on our fighters, but that's because we have to interact with them.

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

andrew@postmod.UUCP (Andrew J Richardson) (01/17/91)

In article <SHAFER.91Jan15190145@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, Mary Shafer writes:

-> They can't.  NASA is a federal agency and isn't subject to FAA
-> requirements.  FAA only governs private aviation, not public.  Of
-> course, we go along with a lot of it, including sticking N numbers
-> on our fighters, but that's because we have to interact with them.

N numbers on fighters?  whenever we deal with any military aircraft (every
day), they either use a mission callsign (i.e. HOUND12, SPRIT55) or the
unit designator plus a/c number (i.e. HT343, DI274).  of course there are
the flights which use the branch name and 5 digits, M12345 or A1.

not that N numbers don't exist for fighters, but in the enroute center i work
at, we run a fair volume of military traffic and i've never run across N
numbers.

---andrew

andrew@postmod.uucp
uunet!postmod!andrew

In article <1887fbd1.ARN0812@postmod.UUCP> andrew@postmod.UUCP writes:
>-> ... we go along with a lot of it, including sticking N numbers
>-> on our fighters, but that's because we have to interact with them.
>
>N numbers on fighters?  whenever we deal with any military aircraft ...

N numbers on fighters *flown by NASA*.

NASA is not military.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry