[sci.space.shuttle] Horizontal shuttle take-off

crosson@cam.nist.gov (Bob Crosson) (01/05/91)

Just a random thought; could the shuttle, minus the SRBs, take-off
from a runway given enough fuel for the SSMEs?  I would ignore
any damage to the runway caused by the engine exhaust.

Could the shuttle design be modified not too drastically to allow
this if it's impossible now?

As I said, just a random though.

Bob Crosson

In article <6432@fs3.cam.nist.gov> crosson@cam.nist.gov (Bob Crosson) writes:
>Just a random thought; could the shuttle, minus the SRBs, take-off
>from a runway given enough fuel for the SSMEs? ...

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the orbiter's wings have neither the lift nor
the structural strength to carry a loaded external tank.

I would also suspect -- although I'd have to push numbers around to be sure
of this -- that three SSMEs do not have enough thrust to get such a beast
into orbit before running out of fuel.

It's also not clear to me why horizontal takeoff is a useful thing to do.
There is actually an awful lot to be said for doing both takeoffs and
landings vertically, a la SSX.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (01/05/91)

Uhh...isn't the shuttle's fuel tank kinda gonna get in the way during
a horizontal takeoff?

What would be the point of this exercise anyway?

spcecdt@deeptht.UUCP (John DuBois) (01/07/91)

     There's no way the orbiter could lift a fully loaded ET.  If you put
LOX/LH2 tanks in the cargo bay you might have enough fuel to get into the
air :-)  Don't know why you'd want to do it, though.

	John DuBois
	spcecdt@deeptht.santa-cruz.ca.us

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (01/08/91)

In article <HESKETT.91Jan4123830@polymnia.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu> heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
> Uhh...isn't the shuttle's fuel tank kinda gonna get in the way during
> a horizontal takeoff?

You must be assuming that the shuttle would take off with it's gear down.
This would not be a good way to start a flight.  Since the shuttle gear
cannot be retracted, the shuttle probably would not survive re-enrty with
the landing gear doors open.

Since we are being silly anyway, how about taking a normal shuttle stack
with SRB's and setting it horizontal onto a winged dolly.  The dolly would
have wheels that would allow the stack to roll down a runway.  The dolly
would also need wings to provide lift and control surfaces to get the thing
pointed towards space.  The dolly would be ejected as soon as the stack
was in flight pointed towards space.

Kind of like the Me-163 on steriods.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

pstinson@pbs.org (01/10/91)

In article <6432@fs3.cam.nist.gov>, crosson@cam.nist.gov (Bob Crosson) writes:

> Just a random thought; could the shuttle, minus the SRBs, take-off
> from a runway given enough fuel for the SSMEs?  I would ignore
> any damage to the runway caused by the engine exhaust.
>
> Could the shuttle design be modified not too drastically to allow
> this if it's impossible now?

This is not possible for the current shuttle, but this sounds like the actual
mission profile planned for the X-30 aerospace plane and some second generation
shuttles that may evolve from that design.

amcandel@eos.ncsu.edu (@roman(@huge(The Entire U.S. Congress)@beep()@beep())) (01/11/91)

I have a realated question for you.  Could the shuttle take off
horizontally withbout any solid rocket boosters and say, fly from
California to KSC?  just a dumb question...

jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) (01/11/91)

In article <576@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>Since we are being silly anyway, how about taking a normal shuttle stack
>with SRB's and setting it horizontal onto a winged dolly.  The dolly would
>have wheels that would allow the stack to roll down a runway.  The dolly
>would also need wings to provide lift and control surfaces to get the thing
>pointed towards space.  The dolly would be ejected as soon as the stack
>was in flight pointed towards space.
>
>Kind of like the Me-163 on steriods.
>
>-john-

Ever see "When Worlds Collide" from the early '50s? One of the George Pal
classics. He thought the way to help a big rocket "get going" was to launch
it horizontally *down* into a valley (to pick up speed ya' see, kind of
a Soap Box Derby approach to aerospace) then curving the track up sharply
at the end. He came up with the exact same soultion for putting wheels on
what is essentially a big round tank. In the climactic take off scene, you
can see the dolly go flying off into the distance as the rocket leaves the
track. ("Potential energy conversion losses? Don't bother me, it looks
great on film!"  :-)

- Jack

||Jack Hagerty, Robotic Midwives, Ltd.        jack@rml.UUCP (smart mailers)||
||Livermore, CA		       ...!uunet!lll-winken!rml!jack (dumb mailers)||
||(415) 455-1143	   jack%rml@lll-winken.llnl.gov (desperate mailers)||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|| Caution! Too many warnings may be hazardous to your credibility         ||

dbraun@cad412.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) (01/15/91)

In article <236@rml.UUCP> jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) writes:

>Ever see "When Worlds Collide" from the early '50s? One of the George Pal
>classics.

This movie is sort of a riot to watch nowadays.  Look out for the scene
where the astronomers use the "differential analyzer" (which looks like
an overgrown automobile transmission) to calculate the trajectory of
the giant meteor (or whatever) that's going to destroy Earth.

Joe Bob says check it out.

Doug Braun				Intel Corp CAD
					408 765-4279

 dbraun@scdt.intel.com

 or maybe:

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev6!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan10.162049.409@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> amcandel@eos.ncsu.edu (@roman(@huge(The Entire U.S. Congress)@beep()@beep()) writes:
> Could the shuttle take off
>horizontally withbout any solid rocket boosters and say, fly from
>California to KSC?  just a dumb question...

Where would you drop the tank? Gulf of Mexico?  :-)   Peter Jarvis....

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (01/18/91)

In article <1744@inews.intel.com>, dbraun@cad412.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) writes:

>In article <236@rml.UUCP> jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) writes:
>>
>>Ever see "When Worlds Collide" from the early '50s? One of the George Pal
>>classics.
>
>This movie is sort of a riot to watch nowadays.  Look out for the scene
>where the astronomers use the "differential analyzer" (which looks like
>an overgrown automobile transmission) to calculate the trajectory of
>the giant meteor (or whatever) that's going to destroy Earth.

I have seen pictures of computers like that one.  They are in essense
motorised slide rules that are programmed by changing pulleys, gears, and
cams.  Really rather ingenious.  Naturally, a programmer for these machanical
monsters had be both a mathametician and a mechanical engineer (and possibly
a machinist).

About MS-DOS: "... an OS originally designed for a microprocessor that modern
                kitchen appliances would sneer at...."
                   - Dave Trowbridge, _Computer Technology Review_, Aug 90

                                     iwblsys\
rlw@ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/