[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle flights?

Terry.Steckowich@f540.n107.z1.ieee.org (Terry Steckowich) (01/28/91)

    Isn't there increased concern over the risk of terrorist actions against shuttle flights now that we are at war against Iraq?  Or are they 100% sure they can protect the shuttle?

---
 * Origin: PC-Palace (1:107/540)

--
 Terry Steckowich - Internet:  Terry.Steckowich@f540.n107.z1.ieee.org

pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) (01/29/91)

In article <2492.27A4061F@fidonet.ieee.org>, Terry.Steckowich@f540.n107.z1.ieee.org (Terry Steckowich) writes:

>     Isn't there increased concern over the risk of terrorist actions against shuttle flights now that we are at war against Iraq?  Or are they 100% sure they can protect the shuttle?

The security there has always assumed that the shuttle was a prime
terrorist target, and acted accordingly.  Of course, there will also
be increased security due to the current situation.

--
This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov)

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.164252.15611@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) writes:
> In article <2492.27A4061F@fidonet.ieee.org>, Terry.Steckowich@f540.n107.z1.ieee.org (Terry Steckowich) writes:
> >      Or are they 100% sure they can protect the shuttle?
>
> Of course, there will also be increased security due to the current situation.

The word is that the most effective branch of the KSC security force will
be beefed-up.  Alligators are being flown in from all over the South to
provide improved anti-personnel patrols. :)
--
Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN USA

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) (01/30/91)

In article <6703@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) writes:
}In article <1991Jan28.164252.15611@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) writes:
}> In article <2492.27A4061F@fidonet.ieee.org>, Terry.Steckowich@f540.n107.z1.ieee.org (Terry Steckowich) writes:
}> >      Or are they 100% sure they can protect the shuttle?
}>
}> Of course, there will also be increased security due to the current situation.
}
}The word is that the most effective branch of the KSC security force will
}be beefed-up.  Alligators are being flown in from all over the South to
}provide improved anti-personnel patrols. :)

In addition, I've heard rumors of a special contingent of attack
pelicans being flown in from Miami.  Not to mention the specially
trained seagulls that will, upon sighting a stranger, swallow an
alka-selzer and divebomb them.

Lance

--
(ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org)   | "You want I should bop you with this here    |