[sci.space.shuttle] <None>

tamurphy@vax1.tcd.ie (02/22/89)

The official report on the Challenger Disaster is as follows:
Astronaut #1:give me a cigarette will you ?
Teacher/Astronaut:here you are............ let me light it for you

               BBB       OOO       OOO         MM     MM
               B  B     O   O     O   O        M  M M  M
               B B      O   O     O   O        M   M   M
               B  B     O   O     O   O        M       M
               BBB       OOO       OOO         M       M

maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu (George W. Herbert) (02/24/89)

wow.  great to see that everyone caught that joke the first time around.

_Please_ don't do this.  Junk mail and bad jokes belong off in rec.humor
and like groups.

george william herbert
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu

jkw@a.lanl.gov (Jay Wooten) (02/24/89)

In article <34285@vax1.tcd.ie>, tamurphy@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
> The official report on the Challenger Disaster is as follows:
> Astronaut #1:give me a cigarette will you ?
> Teacher/Astronaut:here you are............ let me light it for you
>

>                BBB       OOO       OOO         MM     MM
>                B  B     O   O     O   O        M  M M  M
>                B B      O   O     O   O        M   M   M
>                B  B     O   O     O   O        M       M
>                BBB       OOO       OOO         M       M

Not only in bad taste but not even remotely humorous.

Ob Joke: The Irish Space Program

.

dmoore@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Douglas K. Moore) (02/27/89)

In article <34285@vax1.tcd.ie> tamurphy@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>The official report on the Challenger Disaster is as follows:
>Astronaut #1:give me a cigarette will you ?
>Teacher/Astronaut:here you are............ let me light it for you
>

>               BBB       OOO       OOO         MM     MM
>               B  B     O   O     O   O        M  M M  M
>               B B      O   O     O   O        M   M   M
>               B  B     O   O     O   O        M       M
>               BBB       OOO       OOO         M       M

I find the above artical to be in extreamly poor taste.
The astronauts gave their lives to further the idea that man has a
destiny in space, and in no way was it their neglegence that caused
this acident.

-- Douglas K. Moore

The above does not necessarily repersent the views of the Students, Facalty,
or Staff of Harvey Mudd College, The US Commision of Civil Rights, The Bates Areonautics Program, The Claremont
Colleges or myself

jdbaker@athena.mit.edu (09/14/90)

Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 90 10:58:00 CDT
Sender: Students for Exploration and Development of Space
              <SEDSNEWS@TAMVM1.BITNET>
From: Rikhit Arora <CHEEHH%JETSON.UH.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject:      Shuttle Status Report, 9/12/90
To: Multiple recipients of list SEDSNEWS <SEDSNEWS@TAMVM1.MIT.EDU>

                  KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT -- 12 SEPTEMBER 1990

LAUNCH ADVISORY FOR SHUTTLE MISSIONS STS-35 AND STS-41
NASA managers today set Tuesday, September 18, 1990 as the launch date for
Space Shuttle Columbia and the STS-35 Astro-1 mission.  The decision on the new
launch date follows the removal, replacement and testing of the liquid hydrogen
recirculation pump package in Columbia's main propulsion system.

Launch of Columbia and the STS-35 mission was scrubbed on September 5 when high
concentrations of liquid hydrogen were detected in the aft compartment of the
orbiter.  Subsequent tests showed the leak came from the vicinity of the recir-
culation pump package.

During leak check operations following installation of the new recirculation
pump package, technicians found a crushed seal on the prevalve of the main
propulsion system.  The seal is part of a detent cover.  The prevalve is the
main hydrogen valve which supplies hydrogen to Space Shuttle Main Engine #3.
The detent holds the prevalve in place in the open position.

Helium leak checks indicated the seal was within specification, however, this
particular detent cover had an order of magnitude greater leak than other
detent covers.  Alert technicians and engineers decided to investigate further
and discovered the damaged seal.  Engineers believe the location of the seal
and the nature of the damage to the seal make it a prime suspect as the cause
of the hydrogen concentrations seen in the aft of Columbia during tanking
operations.

The seal in question was replaced following Columbia's last flight (STS-32,
1/90), when an inspection for possible corundum contamination of the main pro-
pulsion system was conducted.  Engineers believe the seal was damaged during
the post-inspection installation and remained undiscovered until yesterday.

Countdown for the launch of Columbia is scheduled to begin on Saturday, Sept.
15 at 1:00 a.m. EDT at the T minus 43 hour mark. The 1 hour, 39 minute launch
window on Sept. 18 opens at 1:28 a.m. EDT and closes at 3:07 a.m.

Space Shuttle Discovery and the STS-41 mission will be launched as early in the
launch window (Oct. 5-23, 1990) as possible. Current scheduling indicates a
likelihood of launching on October 8 or 9, but a few days either side are pos-
sible, depending on actual test and preparation times needed.  The actual
launch date for Shuttle mission STS-41 will be set at the flight readiness
review, currently scheduled for Sept. 24-25.

Discovery's freon cooling loop #1, which has given indications of a small leak
since leaving the Orbiter Processing Facility, has undergone special testing.
After review of the test data, Shuttle managers have determined that this
condition can be safely flown in its present state.  Launch preparations will
include topping off the freon system of Discovery a few days before launch
which will keep the freon level well above the amount needed to support Shuttle
operations during the 4-day mission.

jdbaker@athena.mit.edu (09/14/90)

Subject:KSC Shuttle Status 9/12/90
Sender: daemon@athena.mit.edu (Mr Background)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 18:59:28 GMT

Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 90 10:58:00 CDT
Sender: Students for Exploration and Development of Space
              <SEDSNEWS@TAMVM1.BITNET>
From: Rikhit Arora <CHEEHH%JETSON.UH.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list SEDSNEWS <SEDSNEWS@TAMVM1.MIT.EDU>

hch@athena.mit.edu (Hernando A Cortina) (09/22/90)

Subject:more info on HST
Sender: daemon@athena.mit.edu (Mr Background)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 19:56:06 GMT

	What's happening to the HST ? What about those expected "spectacular" shots of pluto using the wide-field/planetary camera ?
	Also, what happened to the idea of using  the primary mirror's actuators to correct for the shape defect ?

				-Hernando.

irwin@iago.caltech.edu (Horowitz, Irwin Kenneth) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.195606.19385@athena.mit.edu>, hch@athena.mit.edu
(Hernando A Cortina) writes...
>What's happening to the HST ? What about those expected "spectacular" shots of
>pluto using the wide-field/planetary camera ?
>Also, what happened to the idea of using  the primary mirror's actuators to
>correct for the shape defect ?
>				-Hernando.

In an article I posted in July, quoting Jim Westphal's description of the
problems with HST's mirror, they can't correct for spherical aberration using
the actuators because they were designed to correct for astigmatism in the
system, and were specifically meant to NOT introduce any spherical aberration
by being placed at the nodal positions for that type of aberration.  They are
therefore unable to correct for the mirror aberration using the actuators.

As for your other question concerning the "spectacular" photos, they have
recently released some data of SN 1987a and a number of other objects which
have been recently observed by HST.  Check out MIT's Center for Space Research
(I am sure that someone there would have those photos somewhere).
Irwin Horowitz                        |"Suppose they went nowhere?"-McCoy
Astronomy Department                  |"Then this will be your big chance
California Institute of Technology    | to get away from it all!"-Kirk
irwin@romeo.caltech.edu               |       from STII:TWOK
ih@deimos.caltech.edu                 |

pstinson@pbs.org (01/31/91)

In rec.arts.startrek there is currently a thread about previous vessels named
Enterprise.  I believe this short excerpt may be of interest to readers of this
group

The 3rd and most famous early Enterprise was also a schooner.  It was built by
Henry Spencer at Baltimore, Maryland in 1799.