[sci.space.shuttle] Misc...

gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (02/03/91)

Greetings and Salutations:

A few random comments...

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>For one thing, there *is* no "ditch procedure" for an orbiter

Crew escape system : The in-flight crew escape system is provided for use
only when the orbiter is in controlled gliding flight and unable to reach a
runway.  This would normally lead to ditching.  The crew escape system
provides the flight crew with an alternative to water ditching or to
landing on terrain other than a landing site.  The probability of the
flight crew surviving a ditching is very small.

The crew compartment pressure is equalized with the outside pressure, the
side hatch is pyrotechnically jettisoned, and bail out is made via the
escape pole, to which each crew member attaches a lanyard hook to their
parachute harness.  The escape pole provides a trajectory that takes the
crew members below the orbiter's left wing.  This is a post challenger
modification.

Essentially this is the current ditch procedure.  You call it.

From: jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop)

>In his book, Rep. Bill Nelson also said that even if the orbiter did not

Please, I beg anyone who has a thought to buy Rep. Bill Nelson's book not
to do so.  The book is chock full of technical inaccuracy.  If I had used a
hi-lighter pen, I would have run out of ink hi-lighting the technical
problems.

From: ward@tsnews.Convergent.COM (Ward Griffiths)

>old style.  But wait a minute, wasn't it Fischer that made the
>official "Space Pen"?  With the 50psi of nitrogen pushing the
>ink out of the tip at any angle?

The Fischer company, in fact, advertises that particular incident on the
material that comes with the pen.

Ken Hollis

ProLine:  gandalf@pro-canaveral
Internet: gandalf@pro-canaveral.cts.com