[sci.space.shuttle] HST - Repair or Augment.

haw30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Henry A Worth) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.022414.2365@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu
(Henry Spencer) writes:

>Because we'd be lucky to see HST2 in orbit before 2010, given the rate at
>which such large projects get funded and done these days.

   Frustrating...,But should we just give up?

   Now, as H.S. surely knows :-) , much of the cost and delay
of recent projects has been due to their relience upon the Shuttle.
This may have been a resonable decision back in the 70's when the
shuttle was expected to provide frequent, low-cost (compared to ELV's)
access to LEO. Unfortunately, the shuttle has been somewhat of a
disapointment... So, are we better off repairing the HST, or
would the HST's lifetime servicing costs significantly offset
(or even cover) the costs of a follow-on (or even a series) designed
with today's realities in mind? Besides, the HST is hardly useless,
it would still be up there doing its thing while the follow-on is
under developement.

   For example: by not servicing the HST and using an ELV to launch
a follow-on/supplement to the HST we would:

   > Save the cost of several shuttle flights (big $$$'s). Freeing
     up those shuttle flights for other purposes would also
     be of significant value.

   > By using an ELV we would also save the cost and complexity
     associated with man-rating a satellite for shuttle launch and
     on-orbit servicing.

   > Giving up on-orbit servicing opens up the possiblity of
     a geo-sync orbit with reduced operating (communications)
     costs and reduced solar array/battery capacity requirements.

   > With no on-orbit servicing the project lifetime may be reduced.
     But, some of that may be made up with a simpler, more-reliable
     design and a more stable orbit. Then again, the shuttle is hardly
     as dependable a repair service as the auto club, so there may
     not be that much gained from on-orbit servicing anyway; perhaps
     even a loss as there are more things to break...

   Using a commercial ELV also opens up the possibility of having NASA's
role reduced to that of a minor sub-contractor providing launch
facilities (and possibly, communications support if geo-sync is not
used). For example: funding could be provided through the NSF to a
university consortium with the appropriate demographic pork-factors.

--
Henry Worth  --  haw30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com
No, I don't speak for Amdahl -- I'm not even sure I speak for myself.

mboone@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Michael B. Boone) (02/12/91)

In article <32iu02bN05Of01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> haw30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Henry Worth) writes:

>   For example: by not servicing the HST and using an ELV to launch
>a follow-on/supplement to the HST we would:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Like what??

>   > Giving up on-orbit servicing opens up the possiblity of
>     a geo-sync orbit with reduced operating (communications)
>     costs and reduced solar array/battery capacity requirements.

If you could get it there without breaking something, what would you
do if something breaks early on in the "fixed" project?

>   > With no on-orbit servicing the project lifetime may be reduced.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                             No kidding!  A week or two?

>     But, some of that may be made up with a simpler, more-reliable
>     design and a more stable orbit. Then again, the shuttle is hardly
>     as dependable a repair service as the auto club, so there may
>     not be that much gained from on-orbit servicing anyway; perhaps
>     even a loss as there are more things to break...

If there are more things to break, putting it in a geosynchronous
orbit surely can't help matters!  And while the shuttle is no "Auto
Club", a human up there to fix things is much better than a radio.

Mike Boone -- mboone@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

In article <32iu02bN05Of01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> haw30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Henry Worth) writes:
>   Now, as H.S. surely knows :-) , much of the cost and delay
>of recent projects has been due to their relience upon the Shuttle.

While this is somewhat true, the extent of it is much exaggerated.  When
you look hard at the scheduling for HST, in particular, you find that
although its launch nominally slipped several times due to pre-Challenger
shuttle delays, in fact the thing was only barely ready to launch in
spring 1986, and some useful upgrades ended up being done during the post-
Challenger hiatus.  At least until Challenger, the shuttle delays and
resulting cost increases were only just keeping ahead of HST's own delays
and resulting cost increases. :-)

>... So, are we better off repairing the HST, or
>would the HST's lifetime servicing costs significantly offset
>(or even cover) the costs of a follow-on (or even a series) designed
>with today's realities in mind?

As has been pointed out repeatedly in other connections, just because you
save money in one area doesn't mean you get to spend it somewhere else.
HST has already had too much spent on it to just write it off; that would
almost certainly kill any hope of a successor.  Bear in mind that much of
the servicing planned for HST is *not* the result of the mirror screwup
or the solar-array problems.  If you write off all servicing, you probably
write off the telescope after only a few years.  You cannot possibly get
a replacement up there that quickly.  It would take until after the first
servicing visit just to get such a project approved as a major new start.

>   For example: by not servicing the HST and using an ELV to launch
>a follow-on/supplement to the HST we would:
>   > Save the cost of several shuttle flights (big $$$'s). Freeing
>     up those shuttle flights for other purposes would also
>     be of significant value.

Freeing up the shuttle flights would certainly be useful.  However, you
are kidding yourself if you think that big expendables (the HST is *not*
a small payload!) are lots cheaper.  Titan IV, the probable choice, in
its maximum-lift configuration costs $250M+ per flight.

>   > By using an ELV we would also save the cost and complexity
>     associated with man-rating a satellite for shuttle launch and
>     on-orbit servicing.

Using an expendable and abandoning on-orbit servicing are quite
separate issues, please note.  An expendable launch means no chance
of bringing the thing back down or making quick fixes in the event of
a startup problem, but doesn't affect the possibility of servicing
later.

>   > Giving up on-orbit servicing opens up the possiblity of
>     a geo-sync orbit with reduced operating (communications)
>     costs and reduced solar array/battery capacity requirements.

Although it will require better radiation-hardening, since Clarke orbit
is in the fringes of the outer Van Allen belt.  This could be a problem
for the more sensitive detectors in particular.  A still higher orbit
might be desirable.

On the whole not a bad idea, but please note that this is going to
require scaling down the telescope significantly.  Not even a Titan IV
could get an HST lookalike that high.

>   Using a commercial ELV also opens up the possibility of having NASA's
>role reduced to that of a minor sub-contractor providing launch
>facilities ...

Um, what are you thinking of?  NASA has no expendables and is not involved
in launch facilities for them.

On the whole, getting NASA out of the telescope business is probably a
good idea.  But one should not underestimate the hassle and time involved
in that rearrangement of funding.  NSF is not used to funding space projects,
especially big ones.

In retrospect, a series of smaller telescopes funded by NSF and launched by
expendables to high orbit is probably a better way to go than HST, other
things being equal.  But other things are *not* equal.  It would be quite
reasonable to start on such a program now, as HST's replacement, because
it's going to take much of HST's working life to get such a program off
the ground.  It's not a good reason for abandoning HST repairs.

Sure, a determined and well-run program could get results much more quickly.
But nobody is going to fund one.
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

mario@cs.man.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) (02/12/91)

If there is no possibility of the HST ever being brought back for
service/repair, why was a second main mirror made?  Are there any
plans to use it?  Are there backups for any other major components?

Mario Wolczko

   ______      Dept. of Computer Science   Internet:      mario@cs.man.ac.uk
 /~      ~\    The University              uucp:      mcsun!ukc!man.cs!mario
(    __    )   Manchester M13 9PL          JANET:         mario@uk.ac.man.cs
 `-':  :`-'    U.K.                        Tel: +44-61-275 6146  (FAX: 6280)
____;  ;_____________the mushroom project___________________________________

p515dfi@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Daniel Fischer) (02/14/91)

In article <2138@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> mario@cs.man.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) writes:
>If there is no possibility of the HST ever being brought back for
>service/repair, why was a second main mirror made?  Are there any
>plans to use it?  Are there backups for any other major components?

The back-up mirror was made by another company (Kodak) - NASA's management
insisted on that (actually Perkin-Elmer was ordered to have Kodak make it)
because it considered the main mirror a very critical part (they were right,
weren't they...). Then they looked on the test data for both mirrors and
decided (as rumors go, against the advice of many knowledgable astronomers)
to take P-E's. *Why* that happend it told in part in the Allen report, but the
full story is still shrouded in mystery. Anyone knowing more?

Plans to use it? Well, some astrophysicists called for its use some years
ago: they wanted to build and HST-2 and send it right to GSO. Unfortunately
their statement (published in NATURE) didn't say who should pay... :-(

Question No.3: yes, there are - about 90% of the HST components are designed
for in-orbit replacement, esp. the solar arrays, batteries and moving parts.
E.g. a failed attitude control gyro will be replaced during the first H.S.T.
Revisit mission in late 1993.