[sci.space.shuttle] married astronauts to fly together?

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (02/01/91)

Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992, Mark Lee
and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to decide what, if
anything, to do about it...

carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (02/01/91)

Steven> Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992, Mark Lee
Steven> and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to decide what, if
Steven> anything, to do about it...

Congratulate them?

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (02/01/91)

carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:

>Steven> Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992, Mark Lee
>Steven> and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to decide what, if
>Steven> anything, to do about it...

>Congratulate them?

Fly the in-cabin IMAX camera.

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

koszelak@ucrmath.ucr.edu (stan koszelak) (02/01/91)

I know that it's true about Jan and Mark.  I was just wondering
how you found out about it.  Has there been a press release or
is this inside information?  There are other married astronaut
couples, it's just that none of them have ever flown together
before.  I hope that Headquarters doesn't bother them about it,
but I can just imagine one of their psychiatrists having some
negative comment about it.

 -Stan Koszelak
 koszelak@ucrmath.ucr.edu
 NASAmail: skoszelak

keithley@apple.com (Craig Keithley) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.213011.8543@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
> carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:
>

>> Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992, Mark Lee
>> and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to decide what, if
>> anything, to do about it...
>
>> Congratulate them?
>
> Fly the in-cabin IMAX camera.

Why bother?  Weekly World News ALREADY has the pictures!

I've also heard from a reliable source that a pair of our Astronauts have
already gone where no one has gone before.  Supposedly a video camera was
running, and somewhere off camera, but in voice range the energetic pair
went at it for a while.   Now, they were probably joking around and not
really doing anything, but you never know!?   I wonder if Weekly World
News has that tape?   If they use side bars, it must be true!  :-)

Craig Keithley, Apple Computer
keithley@apple.com
[standard disclaimers apply!]

jonkatz@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jonathan W. Katz) (02/01/91)

In article <11939@goofy.Apple.COM> keithley@apple.com (Craig Keithley) writes:
>In article <1991Jan31.213011.8543@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
>palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
>> carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:
>>

>>> Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992, Mark Lee
>>> and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to decide what, if
>>> anything, to do about it...
>>
>>> Congratulate them?
>>
>> Fly the in-cabin IMAX camera.
>>

>Why bother?  Weekly World News ALREADY has the pictures!
>
>I've also heard from a reliable source that a pair of our Astronauts have
>already gone where no one has gone before.  Supposedly a video camera was
>running, and somewhere off camera, but in voice range the energetic pair
>went at it for a while.   Now, they were probably joking around and not
>really doing anything, but you never know!?   I wonder if Weekly World
>News has that tape?   If they use side bars, it must be true!  :-)

What are we trying to prove here?  This is a forum to discuss the space
shuttle system, not to slander astronauts.  I am sure that there is a gosup
newsgroup where this type of discussion should take place.

Jonathan W. Katz
Purdue University School of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
jonkatz@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

In article <11591@ucrmath.ucr.edu> koszelak@ucrmath.ucr.edu (stan koszelak) writes:
>...  There are other married astronaut
>couples, it's just that none of them have ever flown together
>before.  I hope that Headquarters doesn't bother them about it,
>but I can just imagine one of their psychiatrists having some
>negative comment about it.

A much more likely source of trouble than the psychiatrists is management
worried about the reaction from the religious Right.  It is not an accident
that none of the married couples has ever flown together.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.161748.28620@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <11591@ucrmath.ucr.edu> koszelak@ucrmath.ucr.edu (stan koszelak) writes:
>>...  There are other married astronaut couples ... [flying together]
>
>A much more likely source of trouble than the psychiatrists is management
>worried about the reaction from the religious Right.  It is not an accident
>that none of the married couples has ever flown together.
>--
>If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

Why on earth (no pun intended) would anyone on the 'religious Right' complain
about married couples flying together on the space shuttle?

Just curious,
Scott D. Coulter				"Nose against the grindstone,
scott@cc.gatech.edu				 it feels real good; watch out!
Georgia Tech Software Research Center		 it's Dog Eat Dog..."   Weird Al

In article <789@mephisto.edu> scott@kong.UUCP (Scott Coulter) writes:
>Why on earth (no pun intended) would anyone on the 'religious Right' complain
>about married couples flying together on the space shuttle?

Because it's a pretty good bet to lead to the first case of sex in space.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

jimcat@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.161748.28620@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <11591@ucrmath.ucr.edu> koszelak@ucrmath.ucr.edu (stan koszelak) writes:
>>...  There are other married astronaut
>>couples, it's just that none of them have ever flown together
>>before.  I hope that Headquarters doesn't bother them about it,
>>but I can just imagine one of their psychiatrists having some
>>negative comment about it.
>
>A much more likely source of trouble than the psychiatrists is management
>worried about the reaction from the religious Right.  It is not an accident
>that none of the married couples has ever flown together.

 I don't understand this. I thought the religious right respected marriage
as a sacred institution. I'd think they'd be more worried about unmarried
couples going up in space. After all, there's a commandment that says,
"Thou shalt not commit adultery"; as far as I know there's nothing in the
Bible that says "Thou shalt not be fruitful and multiply in orbit".
--
 Jim Kasprzak          kasprzak@mts.rpi.edu (internet)
 RPI, Troy, NY         userfe0u@rpitsmts.bitnet

In article <_2#&{K&@rpi.edu> jimcat@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
: In article <1991Feb1.161748.28620@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
: >In article <11591@ucrmath.ucr.edu> koszelak@ucrmath.ucr.edu (stan koszelak) writes:
: >>...  There are other married astronaut
: >>couples, it's just that none of them have ever flown together
: >>before.  I hope that Headquarters doesn't bother them about it,
: >>but I can just imagine one of their psychiatrists having some
: >>negative comment about it.
: >
:
:  I don't understand this. I thought the religious right respected marriage
: as a sacred institution. I'd think they'd be more worried about unmarried
: couples going up in space. After all, there's a commandment that says,
: "Thou shalt not commit adultery"; as far as I know there's nothing in the
: Bible that says "Thou shalt not be fruitful and multiply in orbit".

Many people would like to believe that the religious right is against sex
in any form.  Regardless of the falsity of that sentiment, it's a problem
when people think it, especially when those people are NASA managers, a
breed already noted for their conservatism in other respects...

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) (02/02/91)

>A much more likely source of trouble than the psychiatrists is management
>worried about the reaction from the religious Right.  It is not an accident
>that none of the married couples has ever flown together.

Oh really? That means NASA has deliberately kept married astronauts from
being on the same flight before,  right?  Do you have any objective
source for this or are you just blowing some weird biased smoke out of
your own brain?

There might be some folks who would get a bit upset over a non-married
couple having sex in orbit for experimental purposes at taxpayer expense
(which,  as some have asserted on the net,  has occurred on previous
flights).  But name ONE member of the "Religious Right" (or any other
religious ""Direction" for that matter) that would  object to a MARRIED
couple being together,  whether on  earth or in orbit,  in either a
conjugal or non-conjugal sense.

A more likely scenario is that NASA has just never thought about the
ramifications of a married couple being on a mission together at all.
They will probably "study" the issue for a while and conclude that
nobody in their right mind should have any objections,  be they
religious or not.

clyde@ut-emx.cc.utexas.edu (Clyde W. Hoover) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb1.210814.10459@zoo.toronto.edu>,
henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
|> In article <789@mephisto.edu> scott@kong.UUCP (Scott Coulter) writes:
|> >Why on earth (no pun intended) would anyone on the 'religious Right'
complain
|> >about married couples flying together on the space shuttle?
|>
|> Because it's a pretty good bet to lead to the first case of sex in space.
|> --

Maybe so, but there is a distinct lack of privacy aboard the Shuttle - unless
they sneak into the airlock or up to the flight deck when everybody else is
asleep.  Talk about taking a flying f... !

Clyde Hoover (Shouter-To-Dead-Parrots)	|
UNIX/VMS Services			| "Any sufficently advanced technology
Compuatation Center, UT Austin 		| is indisguishable from a rigged demo."
clyde@emx.utexas.edu			|

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (02/04/91)

On <Feb 01 22:10> Jim Kasprzak writes:

 JK>  I don't understand this. I thought the religious right respected marriage
 JK> as a sacred institution. I'd think they'd be more worried about unmarried
 JK> couples going up in space.

Nah, they're just worried about sex, period.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

pstinson@pbs.org (02/05/91)

In article <14243@ulysses.att.com>, smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) writes:
> Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992, Mark Lee
> and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to decide what, if
> anything, to do about it...
If they have dependents back on Earth, NASA may not want to risk having both
parents lost on one mission.  It is not just NASA.  Ever since the three
Sullivan brothers went down with the same ship in World War II, the Navy has
been extremely reluctant to assign brothers to the same vessel.  I imagine any
policy eventually formulated regarding spouses will be an extension of this
practice.  No one wants one accident to wipe out a whole family.

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb1.223556.2313@infonode.ingr.com> drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:
>>A much more likely source of trouble than the psychiatrists is management
>>worried about the reaction from the religious Right.  It is not an accident
>>that none of the married couples has ever flown together.
>
>Oh really? That means NASA has deliberately kept married astronauts from
>being on the same flight before,  right?  Do you have any objective
>source for this or are you just blowing some weird biased smoke out of
>your own brain?
>
>There might be some folks who would get a bit upset over a non-married
>couple having sex in orbit for experimental purposes at taxpayer expense
>(which,  as some have asserted on the net,  has occurred on previous
>flights).  But name ONE member of the "Religious Right" (or any other
>religious ""Direction" for that matter) that would  object to a MARRIED
>couple being together,  whether on  earth or in orbit,  in either a
>conjugal or non-conjugal sense.
>
>A more likely scenario is that NASA has just never thought about the
>ramifications of a married couple being on a mission together at all.
>They will probably "study" the issue for a while and conclude that
>nobody in their right mind should have any objections,  be they
>religious or not.

I agree that there are no political/religous grounds for NASA not to have
married couples in orbit, however there are some "organizational behavior"
issues. The emotional bonds that married couples have are known to
disrupt normal working relations throughtout various working groups. Many
males (yes even professionals) resent seeing their wives ordered about.
Consider as well that this job is sometimes dangerous, in tense situations
of danger concern for ones spouse who is also on board can be overwhelming.

In short...I don't think the "Religious Right" has anything to do with it.
However, you are wrong if you think NASA has never thought about the
ramifications on the basis of the work-relationship of the crew.

With respect.....

Bill

In article <1991Feb1.223556.2313@infonode.ingr.com> drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:
>>A much more likely source of trouble than the psychiatrists is management
>>worried about the reaction from the religious Right.  It is not an accident
>>that none of the married couples has ever flown together.
>
>Oh really? That means NASA has deliberately kept married astronauts from
>being on the same flight before,  right?  Do you have any objective
>source for this or are you just blowing some weird biased smoke out of
>your own brain?

NASA won't discuss the subject in public at all.  However, it is a fact
that no married couple has ever flown together, and sources I semi-trust
tell me that it is deliberate.  I consider this highly plausible, because
NASA has a long history of being hyper-sensitive to the slightest chance
of bad public relations.  (For example, plans to include wine with some
of the meals on Skylab were scuttled after protests from the WCTU.)

>But name ONE member of the "Religious Right" (or any other
>religious ""Direction" for that matter) that would  object to a MARRIED
>couple being together,  whether on  earth or in orbit,  in either a
>conjugal or non-conjugal sense.

Easy:  the folks who think that sex for purposes other than reproduction
is sinful.  (Maybe *you'd* be willing to try to convince them that sex
in space was entirely for reproductive purposes, but I wouldn't be.)
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/05/91)

In article <_2#&{K&@rpi.edu> jimcat@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:

[ Talk about married astronauts deleted ... ]

> I don't understand this. I thought the religious right respected marriage
> as a sacred institution.

As I understand it, the religious right allows sex between married
couples to create children, not for fun.  Sex in the Shuttle most
likely would be for fun only, I doubt that anyone would want to have
a child concieved in 0g given the many medical unknowns.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb1.223556.2313@infonode.ingr.com>, drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:
> Oh really? That means NASA has deliberately kept married astronauts from
> being on the same flight before,  right?  Do you have any objective
> source for this or are you just blowing some weird biased smoke out of
> your own brain?

In the AP story I cited in my original posting on the subject, the NASA
spokescritter said just that, in so many words.

> But name ONE member of the "Religious Right" (or any other
> religious ""Direction" for that matter) that would  object to a MARRIED
> couple being together,  whether on  earth or in orbit,  in either a
> conjugal or non-conjugal sense.

The issue, I suspect, would be one of titillation -- that everyone
would be snickering about it, joking about, even asking about it at
press conferences.  After all, look at the reactions on this
newsgroup.  We've all seen and laughed about the ``experiment'' on
``STS-75'' -- but the reason that piece was so funny is because it was
written in very clinical NASAspeak.  Imagine this report, or at least
the post-flight debriefing.  And then imagine the Freedom of
Information Act requests that will follow.

(Besides, NASA schedules crew times pretty tightly; I don't know if
there's enough room in the sleep budget for other activities.  One
can't have over-tired astronauts, of course, so should NASA issue a
rule prohibiting sex in space?)

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.235309.18013@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

   In article <1991Feb1.223556.2313@infonode.ingr.com> drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:

>>Oh really? That means NASA has deliberately kept married astronauts from
>>being on the same flight before,  right?  Do you have any objective
>>source for this or are you just blowing some weird biased smoke out of
>>your own brain?

No, he's making his remarks based on information and the fact that
no married couples have ever flown together.

>NASA won't discuss the subject in public at all.  However, it is a fact
>that no married couple has ever flown together, and sources I semi-trust
>tell me that it is deliberate.

I don't know who Henry's sources are, but I can tell you that my
sources are astronauts.  Yes, indeed, NASA deliberately does not
schedule married couples to fly together.

I've always assumed that it's because nobody wants to write the
flight report or answer questions at the post-flight debriefings. :-)
--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) (02/06/91)

From article <1991Feb4.115208.11590@pbs.org>, by pstinson@pbs.org:
> In article <14243@ulysses.att.com>, smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) writes:
>> Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992, Mark Lee
>> and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to decide what, if
>> anything, to do about it...
> If they have dependents back on Earth, NASA may not want to risk having both
> parents lost on one mission.  It is not just NASA.  Ever since the three
> Sullivan brothers went down with the same ship in World War II, the Navy has
> been extremely reluctant to assign brothers to the same vessel.  I imagine any
> policy eventually formulated regarding spouses will be an extension of this
> practice.  No one wants one accident to wipe out a whole family.

This is false.  There are several cases of two parents who were in the
active service, active reserves, and now inactive reserves being shipped
to the Saudi theatre.  I watched a fairly interesting example on `Larry
King Live' on CNN last week.

Bob

    My opinions are my own no matter	|	Robert W. McGwier, N4HY
    who I work for! ;-)			|	CCR, AMSAT, etc.

gt6337a@prism.gatech.EDU (Niel M. Bornstein) (02/06/91)

In article <877@idacrd.UUCP> mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) writes:
>From article <1991Feb4.115208.11590@pbs.org>, by pstinson@pbs.org:
>> Ever since the three
>> Sullivan brothers went down with the same ship in World War II, the Navy has
>> been extremely reluctant to assign brothers to the same vessel.
>This is false.  There are several cases of two parents who were in the
>active service, active reserves, and now inactive reserves being shipped
>to the Saudi theatre.  I watched a fairly interesting example on `Larry
>King Live' on CNN last week.

Not to drag the war into it, but the excuse they give is that all the people
over there are volunteers.  And there were more than three Sullivans... was
it four or five?

Anyway, the point is the armed forces are reluctant to draft members of the
same family and put them in the same unit.  NASA is not drafting anyone, at
least as far as I know.  If they are, where do I register?

Niel
--
* Niel M. Bornstein                                  gt6337a@prism.gatech.edu *
* Even if I understood the opinions of Georgia Tech, I couldn't explain them. *

gamorris@lescsse.uucp (Gary A. Morris) (02/06/91)

In <1991Feb1.223556.2313@infonode.ingr.com> drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:

>>A much more likely source of trouble than the psychiatrists is management
>>worried about the reaction from the religious Right.  It is not an accident
>>that none of the married couples has ever flown together.

>Oh really? That means NASA has deliberately kept married astronauts from
>being on the same flight before,  right?  Do you have any objective
>source for this or are you just blowing some weird biased smoke out of
>your own brain?

There is not an official written policy that married astronauts may not
fly together, however, past practice has been to not allow it.  It is a
judgement made by the people doing crew selection, not a formal policy.
I have part of this heard this before from one of the married astronauts
and have just reconfirmed it with Jeff Carr of the astronaut office at
JSC.  Jeff also said they are considering whether a formal policy is
necessary and what, if anything, should be done in regards to Mark and
Jan's flight.  He said the main concern with allowing a married couple
on the same flight is orphans.

I sure hope one of them doesn't lose the chance to fly just because they
are married.
--GaryM
--
Gary Morris                    Internet: lescsse!gamorris@menudo.uh.edu
Lockheed, Houston, Texas       UUCP:     lobster!lescsse!gamorris

jeff@sousa.enet.dec.com (jeff bell) (02/06/91)

gamorris@lescsse.uucp (Gary A. Morris) writes:
>... the main concern with allowing a married couple
>on the same flight is orphans.

Didn't someone say that they got married after the schedule was made?

In that case, they probably don't have any children.

(How long in advance was the roster made up?)

-Jeff Bell

GIPP@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.231553.827@lescsse.uucp>, gamorris@lescsse.uucp (Gary A.
Morris) says:

>Jan's flight.  He said the main concern with allowing a married couple
>on the same flight is orphans.
>
>--GaryM
>--
Brings to mind another scenario: what if an astronaut (whether already
chosen for a mission or not) were to be a single parent with a
deceased spouse? does this mean he/she is grounded?  with all due
respect to family/child concerns, it all sounds kind of illegal/immoral.
My employer is not permitted by law to question me about my personal
life (ie am I married, have children etc) when interviewing me for a
job, so I assume it's illegal for him to take such matters into
consideration when deciding whether or not to hire me.  why should
NASA be any different.  I assume any married couple/single parent
has taken the risks into account when applying for a mission, so why
should it be considered by the mission planners?  sounds
discriminatory to me.
Pete

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) (02/07/91)

From article <21309@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by gt6337a@prism.gatech.EDU (Niel M. Bornstein):
> In article <877@idacrd.UUCP> mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) writes:
>
> Not to drag the war into it, but the excuse they give is that all the people
> over there are volunteers.  And there were more than three Sullivans... was
> it four or five?

There were five Sullivans (if you are talking about the five BOYS who died
on one sunk ship).

pstinson@pbs.org (02/07/91)

In article <877@idacrd.UUCP>, mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) writes:
> From article <1991Feb4.115208.11590@pbs.org>, by pstinson@pbs.org:

>>                                                    Ever since the five
>> Sullivan brothers went down with the same ship in World War II, the Navy has
>> been extremely reluctant to assign brothers to the same vessel.
>
> This is false.  There are several cases of two parents who were in the
> active service, active reserves, and now inactive reserves being shipped
> to the Saudi theatre.  I watched a fairly interesting example on `Larry
> King Live' on CNN last week.

To the Saudi THEATRE perhaps, but NOT aboard the SAME vessel, aircraft or APC.
There is a world of difference between serving in the same theatre and serving
aboard the same ship.  It is serving aboard the same ship that we are talking
about and Larry King wasn't being THAT particular.

michaelm@vax.MCD.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) (02/08/91)

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
>carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:

>>Steven> Two astronauts assigned to fly on Endeavour in September 1992,
>>Steven> Mark Lee and Jan Davis, have just married.  NASA is trying to
>>Steven> decide what, if anything, to do about it...

>>Congratulate them?

>Fly the in-cabin IMAX camera.

Do you think the fact that they're scheduled to fly together
had anything to do with their decision to get married?  ;-)

--
Michael McNeil			michaelm@vax.DSD.3Com.COM (3comvax.UUCP)
3Com Corporation		ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	"Jumping into hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy."
		Han Solo, another galaxy

rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (02/17/91)

In article <877@idacrd.UUCP> mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) writes:
>From article <1991Feb4.115208.11590@pbs.org>, by pstinson@pbs.org:
>
>[about policy of close relatives serving on board ships]

>This is false.  There are several cases of two parents who were in the
>active service, active reserves, and now inactive reserves being shipped
>to the Saudi theatre.  I watched a fairly interesting example on `Larry
>King Live' on CNN last week.

Sorry, you are incorrect. There is a policy because of the five (not three)
Sullivan brothers which were lost when one ship was lost in the South Pacific
during WWII. The policy does not prohibit service in the same theater, but
does prohibit service in the same unit [I believe]. There is quite a bit of
difference between being in the same area [assigned to JSC as an Astronaut] vs
being on the same Shuttle mission. [It is not likely that a catastrophe will
take out the entire corps but it is much more likely that a Shuttle accident
could wipe out a crew. This type of accident is what the policy is designed
to prohibit and this is the military policy used]. I believe that it does
apply to ground units also to the degree that brothers cannot serve in the
same Company.

--
Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532