[sci.space.shuttle] : Re: Shuttle Status for 02/19/91

cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (David Cornutt) (02/27/91)

gandalf@pro-electric.cts.com (Ken Hollis) writes:

>From: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen)
>>I know that while it may be classified, what's the best rumours or
>>guesses in regards to the entire payload, what is it ?

>There are no further "Classified" per se payloads planned for the SST.

Not quite true.  There is a classified payload on STS-39, but the flight
itself is not classified.  There will be (unclassified) DOD flights in
the future, and there will probably still be the occasional self-
contained classified payload.

The flight is most atmospheric-research stuff, oriented toward finding
ways to reliably detect missle launches in the upper atmosphere and
separate ICBM's from spacecraft.  From what I've heard of the payloads,
it's unlikely that they could do anything that would be immediately
useful for the Iraq war.
--
David Cornutt, New Technology Inc., Huntsville, AL  (205) 461-6457
(cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov; some insane route applies)