[sci.space.shuttle] Fuel-line door questions...

mmachlis@athena.mit.edu (Matthew A Machlis) (02/26/91)

Two questions about the fuel line doors, which have the cracked hinges on
Discovery and Columbia, if anyone has any information:

1) Is there any kind of sensor which indicates to the crew or ground
controllers whether or not the doors are closed?  Or do they have to just
wait and see if the orbiter survives reentry or not?

2) Granted that it would be extremely risky and expensive, but if they
knew the doors hadn't closed correctly is there any way they could try to
close them manually through an EVA?

Matt Machlis
MIT Space Systems Laboratory
(617)253-2272

pstinson@pbs.org (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb25.204556.16156@athena.mit.edu>, mmachlis@athena.mit.edu (Matthew A Machlis) writes:

> Two questions about the fuel line doors, which have the cracked hinges on
> Discovery and Columbia,

The only cracks detected so far are in the hinges on Discovery and only
Discovery.  Columbia is simply being used as a handy reference.  I am not aware
that any cracks have actually been found in its hinges.

cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (David Cornutt) (02/27/91)

I don't know if the onboard systems will indicate the status of the door,
but the MCC certainly can tell.  Having them not closed is not
necessarily fatal.  I'll have to go look up the procedure for that.
--
David Cornutt, New Technology Inc., Huntsville, AL  (205) 461-6457
(cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov; some insane route applies)

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.112746.11838@pbs.org>, pstinson@pbs writes:

>The only cracks detected so far are in the hinges on Discovery and only
>Discovery.  Columbia is simply being used as a handy reference.  I am not aware
>that any cracks have actually been found in its hinges.

The edited excerpt below is from an article posted to sci.space.  I believe
I've left enough in to enable you to find the original.  As can be seen, cracks
*have* been found on Columbia's ET door mechanism.

From: yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee)
Subject: NASA Headline News for 02/22/91 (Forwarded)

This is NASA Headline News for Friday, February 22, 1991

Kennedy Space Center launch team staff are proceeding with
preparations for Shuttle Mission STS-39.   Analysis of hinge cracks on
Discovery's fuel line door mechanisms continues.

As part of this ongoing analysis, a door closure test is scheduled for late
this weekend on Columbia's fuel door mechanisms.

Atlantis and Columbia have been examined to determine if similar
conditions exist on their door mechanisms.  No cracks have been found in
the ET door mechanism on Atlantis, now scheduled to launch in April on its
Gamma Ray Observatory deployment mission.  Inspection of the door
mechanism on Columbia has revealed three small cracks.  Analysis of
Columbia's situation continues.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb26.230611.4715@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov> cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (David Cornutt) writes:
> I don't know if the onboard systems will indicate the status of the door,
> but the MCC certainly can tell.  Having them not closed is not
> necessarily fatal.  I'll have to go look up the procedure for that.

If you know about it in advance, i.e. in orbit before re-entry, this
problem should not be fatal.  All they would have to do is send up
Columbia or Atlantis to pick up the crew of Discovery.  You might also
have to send up a Progress resupply ship (or two) for the crew while they
wait for the next shuttle to be mission ready  8-(

If Discovery could not safely re-enter, rename it "Freedom" and call the
mission a success.  At least we would have some space station hardware
in orbit as a result.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

v071pzp4@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Craig L Cole) (03/04/91)

In article <675@newave.UUCP>, john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes...
>In article <1991Feb26.230611.4715@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov> cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (David Cornutt) writes:
>> I don't know if the onboard systems will indicate the status of the door,
>> but the MCC certainly can tell.  Having them not closed is not
>> necessarily fatal.  I'll have to go look up the procedure for that.
>
>If you know about it in advance, i.e. in orbit before re-entry, this
>problem should not be fatal.  All they would have to do is send up
>Columbia or Atlantis to pick up the crew of Discovery.  You might also
>have to send up a Progress resupply ship (or two) for the crew while they
>wait for the next shuttle to be mission ready  8-(

Could the shuttle rendevous with Mir instead? Just park outside and
MMU (or float) over to Mir for a visit? Or would it depend on the
inclination the shuttle was launched?

Just wondering,

Craig Cole
V071PZP4@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
V071PZP4@UBVMS.BITNET

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (03/04/91)

In article <62941@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v071pzp4@ubvmsd (Craig L Cole) writes:
>In article <675@newave.UUCP>, john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes...
>>If you know about it in advance, i.e. in orbit before re-entry, this
>>problem should not be fatal.  All they would have to do is send up
>>Columbia or Atlantis to pick up the crew of Discovery.  You might also
>>have to send up a Progress resupply ship (or two) for the crew while they
>>wait for the next shuttle to be mission ready  8-(
>
>Could the shuttle rendevous with Mir instead? Just park outside and
>MMU (or float) over to Mir for a visit? Or would it depend on the
>inclination the shuttle was launched?

This whole thread is a (bad) joke, right?  ALL they would have to do is to
launch another shuttle?  It strains credulity to believe NASA could ready and
launch a shuttle in time to rescue another shuttle in distress.  And, shuttle
orbits are chosen with mission requirements in mind, not to accommodate some
hypothetical resupply from Progress or rendezvous with Mir.  Yes, the differing
inclinations would be a major factor working against a rendezvous.  Leaving
aside that (and other orbital mechanics considerations), the shuttle hasn't yet
ever had a docking system installed.  When it does, it won't be compatible with
the Soviet system.  Progress would have nothing useful to do even if it and the
shuttle were in the same orbit.  Also, since only two EVA suits are carried on
a shuttle mission, any crew transfer to Mir would involve the the untested
rescue balls.  It certainly seems simpler to just get the damn doors closed.

--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

v071pzp4@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Craig L Cole) (03/05/91)

In article <2433@ksr.com>, clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) writes...
>In article <62941@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v071pzp4@ubvmsd (Craig L Cole) writes:
>
>This whole thread is a (bad) joke, right?

Geeez! Ask a question!

>                                           ALL they would have to do is to
>launch another shuttle?  It strains credulity to believe NASA could ready and
>launch a shuttle in time to rescue another shuttle in distress.  And, shuttle
>orbits are chosen with mission requirements in mind, not to accommodate some
>hypothetical resupply from Progress or rendezvous with Mir.  Yes, the differing
>inclinations would be a major factor working against a rendezvous.

Okay - how much _can_ the shuttle alter its orbital incliination and
alitutude?

If landing before consumable had run out was impossible, the astronauts
would be able to use the fuel planned for deorbiting to change orbits.
Considering the burns necessary to deorbit the ship, you'd have quite
a bit of fuel to move around.

Of course, a rescue mission would still be needed for the orbiter.
A in-flight refueling, or maybe a booster strapped to it to get it
out of orbit.

>                                                                   Leaving
>aside that (and other orbital mechanics considerations), the shuttle hasn't yet
>ever had a docking system installed.  When it does, it won't be compatible with
>the Soviet system.  Progress would have nothing useful to do even if it and the
>shuttle were in the same orbit.  Also, since only two EVA suits are carried on
>a shuttle mission, any crew transfer to Mir would involve the the untested
>rescue balls.  It certainly seems simpler to just get the damn doors closed.

Of course fixing the doors would be simpler, but the question was,
what if you _couldn't_? About EVAing to Mir -- no one said they all
had to go at once.

Relax a little! If we knew the answers to these questions, we wouldn't
be asking them!

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (03/05/91)

In article <63125@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v071pzp4@ubvmsd (Craig L Cole) writes:

>Okay - how much _can_ the shuttle alter its orbital incliination and
>alitutude?

Off the top of my head, the simple answers are that the shuttle would probably
have no trouble matching the apogee and perigee of Mir or a Progress, but you
can't expect the orbits to be in phase, so you'd have to spend more fuel and
time to get the orbits in sync.  It really doesn't matter, though, because the
inclination is a real killer.  I don't know how much delta-v the shuttle
typically has available in its OMS after orbital insertion (it clearly depends
on the OMS specific impulse and the characteristics of the shuttles cargo and
launch profile), but a 20 degree plane change (about what one might expect
given the latitudes of Baikonur and Canaveral) would take about 8700 feet/sec
of delta-v.  I don't think that's within the shuttle's capabilities.

>If landing before consumable had run out was impossible, the astronauts
>would be able to use the fuel planned for deorbiting to change orbits.
>Considering the burns necessary to deorbit the ship, you'd have quite
>a bit of fuel to move around.

It only takes about 300 feet/sec to deorbit the shuttle.  That's pretty
insignificant compared to the inclination- changing requirement.

>Of course fixing the doors would be simpler, but the question was,
>what if you _couldn't_?

If you can't do the simpler thing, why does doing the more difficult thing have
any chance of success?
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (03/06/91)

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) writes:
> >Of course fixing the doors would be simpler, but the question was,
> >what if you _couldn't_?

> If you can't do the simpler thing, why does doing the more difficult thing
> have any chance of success?

This is a simplistic response to the question. "Difficulty" isn't a linear
measure. This isn't D&D where you roll 6d6 to see if you can get the doors
closed, and 9d6 to see if you can change orbits. It may require tooling
you don't have or procedures you can't perform in vaccuum. It may be that
you could achieve partial success: rescuing some of the crew, perhaps,
by using payload thrusters. Or rescue the crew and lose the orbiter.

For that matter you might be able to save the orbiter by putting it in a
higher orbit, rather than trying to save the crew. It's a complex question
and deserves more than a simple answer.
--
               (peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)
   `-_-'

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (03/08/91)

>>>problem should not be fatal.  All they would have to do is send up
>>>Columbia or Atlantis to pick up the crew of Discovery.  You might also
>>>have to send up a Progress resupply ship (or two) for the crew while they
>>>wait for the next shuttle to be mission ready  8-(
>
>This whole thread is a (bad) joke, right?  ALL they would have to do is to
>launch another shuttle?  It strains credulity to believe NASA could ready and
>launch a shuttle in time to rescue another shuttle in distress.  And, shuttle
>orbits are chosen with mission requirements in mind, not to accommodate some
>hypothetical resupply from Progress or rendezvous with Mir.  Yes, the differing
>inclinations would be a major factor working against a rendezvous.  Leaving
>aside that (and other orbital mechanics considerations), the shuttle hasn't yet
>ever had a docking system installed.  When it does, it won't be compatible with
>the Soviet system.  Progress would have nothing useful to do even if it and the
>shuttle were in the same orbit.  Also, since only two EVA suits are carried on
>a shuttle mission, any crew transfer to Mir would involve the the untested
>rescue balls.  It certainly seems simpler to just get the damn doors closed.

Now now don't be harsh, yes your right about getting the doors closed however
hypothetically if NASA HAD TOO they could probably manage a rescue with another
shuttle. NASA would tempararily suspend many of its redundant safety proceeduresand other proceedures that bog down the turn around time. Large organisations
rarely are as efficient as they can be until an emergency takes-place.

Bill

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.171349.14914@dmntor.UUCP>, bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) writes:

>>This whole thread is a (bad) joke, right?  ALL they would have to do is to
>>launch another shuttle?  It strains credulity to believe NASA could ready and
>>launch a shuttle in time to rescue another shuttle in distress.  And, shuttle
>>orbits are chosen with mission requirements in mind, not to accommodate some
>>hypothetical resupply from Progress or rendezvous with Mir.  Yes, the differing
>>inclinations would be a major factor working against a rendezvous.  Leaving
>>aside that (and other orbital mechanics considerations), the shuttle hasn't yet
>>ever had a docking system installed.  When it does, it won't be compatible with
>>the Soviet system.  Progress would have nothing useful to do even if it and the
>>shuttle were in the same orbit.  Also, since only two EVA suits are carried on
>>a shuttle mission, any crew transfer to Mir would involve the the untested
>>rescue balls.  It certainly seems simpler to just get the damn doors closed.
>>
> Now now don't be harsh, yes your right about getting the doors closed however
> hypothetically if NASA HAD TOO they could probably manage a rescue with another
> shuttle. NASA would tempararily suspend many of its redundant safety proceeduresand other proceedures that bog down the turn around time. Large organisations
> rarely are as efficient as they can be until an emergency takes-place.

Yeah.  Look at how fast the military moved getting all the troops over to the
middle east - and the military is FAMOUS for its beaurocracy (sp?).  Had the
flare up in the middle east happened in any way other than an outright invasion
but made moving troops over there neccessary, I bet we would some serious red
tape tangles.  All you need is some serious situation and someone will simply
say "Damn the torpedos - full speed ahead" and get the job done.

> Bill
>
>>Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu       "Good musicians execute
                                           their music but bad ones
Voice : (305) - 284 - 6482                 murder it !!! "

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar8.003229.8019@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, jdeitch@umiami (Jonathan Deitch) writes:

>>>This whole thread is a (bad) joke, right?  ALL they would have to do is to
>>>launch another shuttle?  It strains credulity to believe NASA could ready and
>>>launch a shuttle in time to rescue another shuttle in distress.
>>>		  It certainly seems simpler to just get the damn doors closed.
>>>
>> Now now don't be harsh, yes your right about getting the doors closed however
>> hypothetically if NASA HAD TOO they could probably manage a rescue with another
>> shuttle. NASA would tempararily suspend many of its redundant safety
>> proceedures and other proceedures that bog down the turn around time. Large organisations
>> rarely are as efficient as they can be until an emergency takes-place.

Given the shuttle processing facilities at the Cape, given the parts
cannabilization that goes on to fly one shuttle at a time, and given the
consumable situation on a shuttle, I stand by my statement.  You might get
"lucky" and have two shuttles nearing flight-readiness at one time (most likely
due to one of them having been delayed so the other catches up), but I still
hold it's extremely unlikely that a second shuttle could be launched in time to
rescue the first, even if you cut every corner in sight.  NASA has plans to
stick extra seats in the mid-deck to accommodate a rescued crew, but I think
that plans like these are predicated on a larger fleet and a shorter
turn-around time.

>Yeah.  Look at how fast the military moved getting all the troops over to the
>middle east - and the military is FAMOUS for its beaurocracy (sp?).  Had the
>flare up in the middle east happened in any way other than an outright invasion
>but made moving troops over there neccessary, I bet we would some serious red
>tape tangles.  All you need is some serious situation and someone will simply
>say "Damn the torpedos - full speed ahead" and get the job done.

I don't see how looking at the military buildup in the middle east tells us
anything useful about rapidly launching a shuttle.  Also, it took *MONTHS* to
get the military over there--this wasn't quite a rapid deployment.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) (03/09/91)

>>This whole thread is a (bad) joke, right?  ALL they would have to do is to
>>
>Now now don't be harsh, yes your right about getting the doors closed however
>hypothetically if NASA HAD TOO they could probably manage a rescue with another
>shuttle. NASA would tempararily suspend many of its redundant safety
>proceedures and other proceedures that bog down the turn around time.
>Large organisations rarely are as efficient as they can be until an
>emergency takes-place.
>
>Bill

Speaking of bad jokes. How about a dose of reality here? Movies like
"Marooned" to the contrary, I sincerely doubt that NASA would risk losing
a *second* shuttle on the *very slight* chance of saving another one. When
I say "losing a shuttle", I mean both the vehicle *and* crew, not just the
vehicle. Those safety procedures are there for a reason. Unless there happens
to be a shuttle already sitting on the pad, I doubt they could get one
launched even if *ALL* safety procedure were ignored. And that would be a
suicidal risk.

gregc@cimage.com