[sci.space.shuttle] Re Fuel-line door questions...

gandalf@pro-electric.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (03/02/91)

Greetings and Salutations:

From: mmachlis@athena.mit.edu (Matthew A Machlis)
Subject: Fuel-line door questions...
>Is there any kind of sensor which indicates to the crew or ground
>controllers whether or not the doors are closed?

Just about everything mechanical on the orbiter has instrumentation of some
type, and the doors are no exception.  There are two indicators per door
for a total of four, that indicate if the door is closed and latched.
There are also drives to pull the door closed once it gets close to the
close position.

>Is there any way they could try to close them manually through an EVA?

Yes.  They could cycle them and try to help them into the almost closed
position, then hopefully the uplock latches would be positioned to pull the
door completely shut.  Hopefully the tile on the door would not be damaged.
This is pure speculation as to how they would try to close the door.
 The doors are made out of beryllium, the same type of material the old
brakes were made out of.  The brakes were actually carbon lined beryllium.

Of course this whole discussion is no longer applicable since Discovery is
rolling back to fix the hinge.

Ken Hollis
----
ProLine:  gandalf@pro-electric
Internet: gandalf@pro-electric.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-electric!gandalf
ARPA:     crash!pro-electric!gandalf@nosc.mil

mears@hpindda.cup.hp.com (David Mears) (03/11/91)

Here's a hypothetical.  (I'm actually somewhat hesitant to even bring
up the subject, as I neither want to jinx anything, nor do I want
people to think of me as morbid and write me nasty letters.)

What if ...  Something were to happen and a shuttle were stranded in
orbit.  For some reason it can't land.  NASA feels that there are
two things they could try.  One has a very slight chance of saving
the crew, but is likely to lose both crew and ship.  The other is
reasonably guaranteed of saving the ship until some sort of service
mission could repair it, but the crew can not survive.

What would NASA do?  I highly suspect that they would have to try
to rescue the crew just because of PR, even if they didn't feel
confident.  But what should NASA do?  What would the crew want NASA
to do?  What would you want NASA to do?

David B. Mears
Hewlett-Packard
Cupertino CA
hplabs!hpda!mears
mears@hpinddf.cup.hp.com

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (03/15/91)

In article <3330036@hpindda.cup.hp.com> mears@hpindda.cup.hp.com (David Mears) writes:
>What if ...  Something were to happen and a shuttle were stranded in
>orbit.  For some reason it can't land.  NASA feels that there are
>two things they could try.  One has a very slight chance of saving
>the crew, but is likely to lose both crew and ship.  The other is
>reasonably guaranteed of saving the ship until some sort of service
>mission could repair it, but the crew can not survive.
>
>What would NASA do?

Never mind PR considerations! The shuttle orbiter is just bits of
metal, etc., and could be replaced (albeit at a high cost) but the
crew are human beings, and as such are irreplacable. If I were on that
crew, I would want (nay, expect) NASA to risk their equipment to save
my life.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.