[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Movies

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (03/14/91)

In article <14694@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> rax8@phx.mcd.mot.com (Steve Roberson ) writes:
> Anyone remember the movie "Space Camp" where they landed a shuttle-full
> of kids by remote control? At night?

That movie was pretty bogus.  I do think, however, that the plot had
one of the kids land the shuttle at night at White Sands.  If you recall,
they went into a flat spin upon re-entry and it was up to one of girls
on board to recover from the spin.

I was disappointed that the female astronaut in the movie acted and talked
like she knew almost nothing about the shuttle.  And she must have missed
class the day that they talked about abort procedures, like abort once
around.

On a related note, I saw "Moonraker" the other night.  The movie got
off to a bad start--they show a shuttle ignite its main engines while
riding on the back of a 747.  No wonder the average person is so mis-
informed about the space program.

A bunch of us at work tried working out alternate openings for the shuttle
theft at the start of Moonraker (during coffee break, of course).  The best
suggestion was having the shuttle de-mate from the 747, then glide down and
mate up with a new Soviet stealth cargo plane.  This solves the problem of
having the shuttle engines fire, and it explains how the shuttle was able to
fly out of the area.  Gee, nothing unrealistic about that 8-).

The rest of Moonraker was pretty good provided that you were willing
to let your mind accept a few more unrealistic shuttle operations.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

spcecdt@deeptht.santa-cruz.ca.us (John DuBois) (03/16/91)

+
+A bunch of us at work tried working out alternate openings for the shuttle
+theft at the start of Moonraker (during coffee break, of course).  The best
+suggestion was having the shuttle de-mate from the 747, then glide down and
+mate up with a new Soviet stealth cargo plane.  This solves the problem of
+having the shuttle engines fire, and it explains how the shuttle was able to
+fly out of the area.  Gee, nothing unrealistic about that 8-).

    If the OMS tanks were surreptitiously filled before moving the shuttle,
those engines could be fired... (still leaves lots of problems, though).

+The rest of Moonraker was pretty good provided that you were willing
+to let your mind accept a few more unrealistic shuttle operations.

    Am I the only one who would swear that when Moonraker first came out,
the shuttle launch they showed didn't include any SRBs?  It came out before
there had been any real launches, so perhaps the general public wasn't well
enough informed to catch it.  I saw it recently and it was certainly more
realistic than that.  But I've had others swear to me that the first release
*did* show SRBs.  Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I have this recollection
of seeing it and knowing it was *wrong*...

	John
--
John DuBois	spcecdt@deeptht.santa-cruz.ca.us	KC6QKZ

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/22/91)

	There were definately SRB's on Moonraker shuttles... I have
	read an article on the special effects of Moonraker (in Cinefex
	I believe) that described the dificulties in handling the VERY
	*HOT* model SRB's....  they developed a mechanism to allow the
	solid motors drop out of the SRB shells as soon as the shot
	was done, to prevent the heat from damaging the shuttle model.

	-Mike-

	(this discussion is obviously in the wrong group.... apologies)