[sci.space.shuttle] New

) (03/07/91)

 Excuse me for my ignorance in this matter, but I'm still a student and I find
it completely unbelievable that NASA are using technology that even 'toy'
home computers no longer use...
 Core memories???? I was under the impression they went out about the same time
as gas street lights and computers that took up a whole building just to add
two numbers !
 Magnetic Tape???? what about disks????? even floppies, with up to 20MB on a
single 3.5" provide a sturdier, more convenient answer.. and how about the
DATAPac technology? 100MB and more hard disks, especially suited to being
roughed around? (thats the ones where you plug them out of one computer, sling
them in your brief case, shake them to bits on the subway, then plug them into
another machine, and the data is 100% guaranteed)

 I would be looking at, AT THE LEAST, radiation hardened datapacs, storing the
flight programs (with 3 backups,each one oriented a different way so that a
sharp manuver that might just crash the heads on one will only move them on
another) I would expect radiation hardened processors, of an industry sstandard
type (80x86, or 680x0 series) for easy replacement, and a well tested and
trusted product. As has been suggested by someone else already, EAROMS or just
straight ROMS can be used for holding much of the non changing code in memory
during a flight.
 as for RAM needs, if in 1991, the leading manufacturers of semiconductors can
put upwards of 10^6 transistors on a chip, but can't make radiation resistant
store, then we shouldn't be puttin people into space, we should be putting them
into the space inside some peoples heads, to find the technology we need!!!!

Theora.

--
sig (made it through the ethernet alive!)
Theora Jones  Strathclyde University, SCOTLAND   || " I can fly higher than an

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar7.142311.10412@vaxa.strath.ac.uk>, cabp10@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Theora Jones, In Person!) writes:

>  Excuse me for my ignorance in this matter, but I'm still a student and I find
> it completely unbelievable that NASA are using technology that even 'toy'
> home computers no longer use...
>  Core memories???? I was under the impression they went out about the same time
> as gas street lights and computers that took up a whole building just to add
> two numbers !
>  Magnetic Tape???? what about disks????? even floppies, with up to 20MB on a

The paperwork needed to order the change would fill TWO buildings.

To be a little more fair, they have a very complex vehicle. It is
important to make sure that changes don't affect the system in unexpected
ways, so it takes a lot of integration engineering and testing to do that.

They've just gone overboard with the principle.  Working with outdated
equipment just because it was available off the shelf in 1974 ends up
being a safety hazard, because you can't incorporate advances in capability.
Besides the fact that NASA is supposed to be pushing technology if their
existence is to have any value to the taxpayers.  The state of the Shuttle GPC
indicates pretty clearly that the current
NASA (at least the manned space side) is scared to death of anything new.
That, though, is the ultimate state of any hidebound bureaucracy:  it's
better not to make a mistake than not to accomplish anything.
--
Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN USA

rnm8s@helga4.acc.Virginia.EDU (Rory Neil Mcleod) (03/11/91)

	Theora:  The computers on board the shuttle aren't the
only pieces of equipment that are out dated and used on the
shuttle or used to get the bird launched.  With notable exceptions,
the equipments used to launch the shuttle is the same as it was
designed in the late '70's.  There is of course, good reason for
this: each piece of equipment must be tested and all of its failure
modes well known.  Once a system is in place, and it works, it
is not likely to be replaced.

	It takes either failure or poor performance to get the
anyone interested in changing something.   The Environmental
Control System (ECS), of which most of the equipment is located
underneath the launch pad, is largley comprised of Apollo era
equipment.  It works, and, just as importantly, everyone who
works on the system knows ALOT about it.  Of course, the
Bureacracy tends to slow the rate at which changes are made,
but, the STS is a huge system, what may seem like a little
change to one system may have a major impact someplace else.
The checks and balances are there for a reason.

Rory McLeod
Dept Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
University of Virginia

Ex-NASA KSC
   ECS&PVD
   TV-MSD-13

ricci@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mark Ricci - CATS) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar7.142311.10412@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cabp10@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Theora Jones, In Person!) writes:

> Excuse me for my ignorance in this matter, but I'm still a student and I find
>it completely unbelievable that NASA are using technology that even 'toy'
>home computers no longer use...

I spent eight years programming for various defense firms and I was told that
the military is reluctant to switch to new technologies for existing programs
without an awful lot of testing.  They seem to prefer old and known to new and
unknown.

It doesn't make a lot of sense in some ways, but then again, you're talking
about people's lives and there is going to be a certain amount of overkill
when it comes to safety.

Of course, for a new program, they will include as many new and exotic
technologies as possible. :^)

Mark
  Mark Ricci - CATS              | "I don't think so! Homey don't play dat."
  Commodore Applications and     |
  Technical Support              |    - Homey the Clown
  ricci@cbmvax.commodore.com     |         In Living Color

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (03/12/91)

In article <6963@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) writes:

|> To be a little more fair, they have a very complex vehicle. It is
|> important to make sure that changes don't affect the system in unexpected
|> ways...

especially since any such "unexpected" behavior could cost us up to seven
lives.

|> They've just gone overboard with the principle.

That's a matter of opinion.

|> Working with outdated
|> equipment just because it was available off the shelf in 1974 ends up
|> being a safety hazard, because you can't incorporate advances in capability.

I don't see that as a "safety hazard".  An impediment to progess, yes.
And perhaps an impediment to *increasing* the level of safety.

|> Besides the fact that NASA is supposed to be pushing technology if their
|> existence is to have any value to the taxpayers.  The state of the Shuttle GPC
|> indicates pretty clearly that the current
|> NASA (at least the manned space side) is scared to death of anything new.

If you want to see NEW technology being used at NASA, check out the
UNmanned projects.  They aren't afraid to use new technology.  Why?
because the worst that can happen is we lose an expensive piece of
equipment.  If something goes mysteriously wrong with the shuttle, we
could lose LIVES!  The manned space program is intentionally safety
conscious.  They don't want any surprises.  Thus they stick with what
they know has worked in the past.  If they wanted to completely change
around the GPCs, using the most up-to-date technology that they think
would work in orbit (an important consideration, by the way), they would
have to start the orbiter's testing process all over again:  drop it
from a 727, have an initial test flight with two test pilots and with
ejection seats, etc., etc., etc.  By the time they were convinced that
everything worked smoothly, the technology would be woefully out of
date.

Also, something people seem to have forgotten:  the GPCs are redundant.
They have to talk to each other to carry out this redundancy.  There's
some non-trivial hardware in there to make that happen.  You just can't
do that with 5 IBM PC clones clamped on an ethernet.  This goes far
beyond the computers themselves.  All of that would have to be scrapped
and redone as well.  Why did they choose the 101-B in the first place?
Because they knew that it worked in fighters when they first started
designing this stuff.

|> That, though, is the ultimate state of any hidebound bureaucracy:  it's
|> better not to make a mistake than not to accomplish anything.

No, that is the ultimate state of anything that deals with human lives:
it's better to be safe and alive than to be cutting-edge and dead.

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (03/12/91)

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) writes:

>...  The state of the Shuttle GPC
>indicates pretty clearly that the current
>NASA (at least the manned space side) is scared to death of anything new.
>That, though, is the ultimate state of any hidebound bureaucracy:  it's
>better not to make a mistake than not to accomplish anything.

Hmm, does NASA think Apollo 11 would have made it to the moon if
it had been carrying those WWII-era differential analyzers used to
compute ballistic trajectories?
--
Dan Rose
drose@ucsd.edu

In article <1991Mar7.142311.10412@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cabp10@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Theora Jones, In Person!) writes:
>... I would expect radiation hardened processors, of an industry sstandard
>type (80x86, or 680x0 series) for easy replacement...

Do remember that this hardware was designed in the mid-70s; the processors
you mention did not exist then.  And I'm not sure what you mean by "easy
replacement", given that rad-hardened processors are usually single-source
items even if the architecture is in wide use.  (There *is* one significant
advantage of using something standardized:  the ability to use commercial
hardware for development.)  In general, it's clear that the computers would
look very different if they were being designed today and the software was
being rewritten from scratch.  Those conditions do not apply.

>... if in 1991, the leading manufacturers of semiconductors can
>put upwards of 10^6 transistors on a chip, but can't make radiation resistant
>store...

Rad-hardening is a very specialized business that is not likely to attract
manufacturers who specialize in mass production of commodity parts.  DRAMs
are the ultimate in mass-produced commodity parts.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

In article <1991Mar11.201910.8476@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>If you want to see NEW technology being used at NASA, check out the
>UNmanned projects.  They aren't afraid to use new technology.  Why?
>because the worst that can happen is we lose an expensive piece of
>equipment...

Uh, I hate to burst your bubble :-), but the unmanned projects also avoid
new technology like the plague.  Losing that "expensive piece of equipment"
can mean waiting *decades* for another chance to fly your experiment to
its chosen destination.  There is enormous pressure to use off-the-shelf
technology even when new technology would greatly benefit the mission.
This is why the unmanned missions are still using 1965-vintage propulsion
systems.  They only recently started using solid-state image sensors
rather than image tubes, and *that* happened mostly because JPL's preferred
tubes were out of production and unobtainable!

The only time people aren't afraid to use new technology is when they can
lose a mission without serious damage to careers or funding.  The days
when that was true in (most of) NASA are long gone.  The Explorer-series
people can maybe risk it, since they've got steady funding for an ongoing
series of missions.  The planetary people certainly can't.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (03/14/91)

rnm8s@helga4.acc.Virginia.EDU (Rory Neil Mcleod) writes:

  Newton: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

> Bureacracy tends to slow the rate at which changes are made,
> but, the STS is a huge system, what may seem like a little
> change to one system may have a major impact someplace else.
> The checks and balances are there for a reason.

   News story: The introduction of high capacity hard disks in the
latest shuttle mission has had a strange reaction. STS-99 has run out of
maneuvering thruster fuel and is now spinning. It seems that the force
applied to spin the disks has followed Newton's laws, and the shuttle
is now also spinning - the opposite direction. Since the programs on the
disks are required for landing, they cannot be spun down until after
landing, and the shuttle cannot land until the disks are spun down.

   The shuttle astronauts are taking emergency dancing lessons (mostly
the "twist"), but whether this will help will not be known for several
hours.

   Mandatory :-).

petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar12.003321.13988@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> There is enormous pressure to use off-the-shelf
>technology even when new technology would greatly benefit the mission.
>This is why the unmanned missions are still using 1965-vintage propulsion
>systems.

Note the relatively new Boeing IUS. (The first one failed, but they're
working fine now).

Peter Jarvis...........

In article <3356@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) writes:
>> There is enormous pressure to use off-the-shelf
>>technology even when new technology would greatly benefit the mission.
>>This is why the unmanned missions are still using 1965-vintage propulsion
>>systems.
>
>Note the relatively new Boeing IUS...

I note it.  I also note that something very much like it could have been
built in 1965.  The electronics would have been clunkier, the performance
would have been a bit lower due to heavier casings, and they might not
have been able to do the telescoping nozzles, but there's hardly any
fundamentally new technology in the IUS.  It's a very ordinary two-stage
solid rocket.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.235853.6842@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>..... but there's hardly any
>fundamentally new technology in the IUS.  It's a very ordinary two-stage
>solid rocket.

Well what would you have designers put into a solid rocket booster
besides stronger, lighter (composites) casings and new electronics?
Those items are not trivial. The fuel? They've probably optimized solid
rocket propellant to burn the way they like it. What else are you looking
for in a solid rocket motor? -- P.J.

In article <3361@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) writes:
>Well what would you have designers put into a solid rocket booster
>besides stronger, lighter (composites) casings and new electronics?
>Those items are not trivial. The fuel? They've probably optimized solid
>rocket propellant to burn the way they like it. What else are you looking
>for in a solid rocket motor? -- P.J.

What I'm looking for ON a solid rocket motor is dust, plus a museum placard
saying "obsolete form of space propulsion system, abandoned in the early
1970s when ion rockets became practical".  We've known for twenty years how
to build rocket systems that perform far better than any solid rocket
motor ever will.  Bad enough that we are still launching comsats with them,
but it is a disgrace to NASA and mankind that we are still using them for
deep-space probes that are desperate for every bit of launch performance.