[sci.space.shuttle] Computer Controlled Landing?

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/15/91)

Can someone settle an argument for me? I read when the shuttle first
came into being, that it's computer was so intelligent that it could
launch, orbit, and land all under complete computer control. I also
read a few years ago that while the computer is capable of landing
the shuttle, they haven't trusted it to do so yet. Is this still
true? Has the computer actually performed a landing of the shuttle with
no control from the pilot being exerted at all? If so, when? Also,
a pointer to corraborative evidence (magazine article, etc.) would
be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

In article <1077@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
>Can someone settle an argument for me? I read when the shuttle first
>came into being, that it's computer was so intelligent that it could
>launch, orbit, and land all under complete computer control. I also
>read a few years ago that while the computer is capable of landing
>the shuttle, they haven't trusted it to do so yet...

In theory, I think the only thing the computer can't do is lower the
landing gear.  (That is under manual control as a safety precaution,
since the gear cannot be raised again in flight.)  In practice, I believe
it is still the case that all landings to date have been manual.  I
could be wrong.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

dcorbett@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Dan Corbett) (03/19/91)

In article <1077@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
>Can someone settle an argument for me? I read when the shuttle first
>came into being, that it's computer was so intelligent that it could
>launch, orbit, and land all under complete computer control. I also
>read a few years ago that while the computer is capable of landing
>the shuttle, they haven't trusted it to do so yet...

It sounds as if you were reading the NASA wish list of _desired_ funcions.
They've been working on a program called AUTOLAND for years, now.  In one
of the early flights, they ran an early version of AUTOLAND in parallel with
the pilot.  The pilot had the real control.  After the landing, the AUTOLAND
data was compared to what the pilot actually did.  AUTOLAND would have
dropped them into the Atlantic (KSC landing, obviously).  Ever since, NASA
has had a hard time "trusting" the computers, as you so aptly put it.

I left the shuttle program in 1985, so this info is getting old now.

Dan Corbett
Department of Computer Science
University of Technology, Sydney

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/19/91)

In article <> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1077@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
>>... I read when the shuttle first came into being,... that it's computer...
>>could launch, orbit, and land all under complete computer control. I also
>>read a few years ago that while the computer is capable of landing
>>the shuttle, they haven't trusted it to do so yet...

>In theory, I think the only thing the computer can't do is lower the
>landing gear. ...  In practice, I believe
>it is still the case that all landings to date have been manual.

Part of the arguable difference is the EXACT terminology being refered to.
When NASA & Henry say that every landing has been manual so far, they really
mean that the pilot controlled the stick and put the gear on the ground.
What is being left out, is that the pilot only took control away from the
computer a very short time before this event.  If my memory serves, the first
flights, used the computer to fly the shuttle down to about 100 feet.
Now, if you ask me, the computer has done (virtually) every part of the
landing except put the wheels on the ground.  While the computer is probably
supposed to be able to do this. The risks are crazy given the skill level
required and the ability of the manned pilots sitting in the seats.....
The ground is a nasty place with thermal currents, unpredictable cross winds,
gusts and other 'features', these are/can be quite small, but with (basically)
a dc-9 glider on a falling stone glide path, a very small error could be fatal
to craft and crew.  There is a magic touch to add to a perfect approach as
soft a landing as possible, which is nearly impossible to write in software.
If you want an idea how difficult it is, buy a rc glider and try flying and
landing it.  Experience counts....
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/22/91)

	Reading this thread, I recalled the perfect landing of the Soviet
	Shuttle... unmanned and under computer control.  It was
	simply amazing to watch (even on tv).  I was impressed....

	Not to say that the extra 'touch' a experienced human can provide
	isn't important... I believe that it could be VITAL under
	certain circumstances....   I think that the computer SHOULD
	be able to land the shuttle... just in case something goes 'wrong'
	and the pilots are unable to perform the landing.  I recall
	reading about Mike Collins' experience during a Gemini spacewalk
	where some chemical vapors got into his helmet and blinded him
	for a period.... a similar situation might occurr in the shuttle
	cabin.

	-Mike-

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (03/23/91)

Here's an interesting though for this thread :

What if, instead of using an intelligent stand alone computer, you used a
computerized fly by wire flight system that could, in an emergency, be flown
from the ground via computer link.  You could use a preprogrammed re-entry
program (due to the ionization radio blackout) for reentry and pick it up
from there.  I don't think it would not be hard to hook a shuttle simulator to
a computer uplink and attach that to the shuttle's flight systems.

Any thoughts ?

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

In article <1991Mar22.210230.8265@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>... You could use a preprogrammed re-entry
>program (due to the ionization radio blackout) for reentry...

Actually, there is no radio blackout any more.  The plasma sheath blocks
radio waves only on the forward and downward faces of a reentering craft;
antennas pointed *up* work fine, so reentry communications are quite
feasible via relay satellite.

(Note, however, that this adds extra communications delays to any remote-
piloting scheme.)
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry