[sci.space.shuttle] New Shuttle Computers

mike@uc780.umd.edu (02/28/91)

John,
  Feel free to post more info from that article, like specifics perhaps
on the processor itself.  I have been wanting to get more info on this
subject for some time (personal curiosity) ever since I heard they were
finally going to scrap the peice-of-ancient-history AP101B's with
something that wasn't at least quite so ancient technologically speaking.

Mike Santangelo
Academic Computing UMUC

jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) (02/28/91)

The Electronic Engineering Times for 25 February 1991 has an article about
the new shuttle computers which are scheduled to fly on Discovery "next week."
The new AP101S computers use static-RAM memory and Schottky logic, replacing
the old core-memory AP101B computers.  A summary of the differences:

	       Memory					         First
	Memory  tech-     CPU       Size,    			 Shuttle
Computer size  nology     Speed     Weight    Power   MTBF	 Flight
AP101S  128Kx2 Radiation  1.2 Mips  1 box,    550W  20,000+ hrs. 3/91 STS-39
	32-bit resistant	    10x9x18'
	words  CMOS SRAM            64 pounds
AP101B  104Kx1 Ferrite    0.4 Mips  2 boxes,  650W   5,200 hrs.  4/81 STS-1
        32-bit cores		    10x8x19'
	words                       120 pounds

(I'm suspicious of the size figures; I'd expect them to be the same size,
and I have quite carefully preserved the single-tick foot unit indicator,
even though the box obviously does not dwarf the technicians next to it in
the front page photo... :-)

To improve the radiation resistance of the "radiation resistant" SRAMs,
they use 25 check-bits for each 16-bit halfword, and a background task
scrubs out soft ECC errors from all of memory every two seconds.

The article also includes a sidebar on complaints by IBM about how silly
NASA is about specifications and obsolete component qualification methods.

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (02/28/91)

In article <27FEB91.17144348@uc780.umd.edu> mike@uc780.umd.edu writes:

     Feel free to post more info from that article, like specifics perhaps
   on the processor itself.  I have been wanting to get more info on this
   subject for some time (personal curiosity) ever since I heard they were
   finally going to scrap the peice-of-ancient-history AP101B's with
   something that wasn't at least quite so ancient technologically speaking.

Some people who worked on the F-8 DFBW phase II, with the AP-101s,
think that these are a piece of something else entirely.

(Phase I used Apollo computers, salvaged from returned capsules.
When Dave Scott left Dryden, one of the presentations was "his"
Apollo computer.)
--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (03/05/91)

In article <2352@ksr.com>, jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) writes:
|> The Electronic Engineering Times for 25 February 1991 has an article about
|> the new shuttle computers which are scheduled to fly on Discovery "next week."
|> The new AP101S computers use static-RAM memory and Schottky logic, replacing
|> the old core-memory AP101B computers.

Does the article say if the RAM is battery-backed or otherwise anything
in place to make the memory non-volatile?  One standard procedure is
"freeze-drying" a GPC (general purpose computer), which relies on the
memory being non-volatile.  I'm curious if they are going to scrap that
procedure or not.  Freeze-drying consists of loading the re-entry software
into a GPC and turning the GPC off.  That way if the tape drives that
contain the software both break, at least they have one computer to
get them home again.

Thanks for the summary!  My wife will be most interested in it.

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) (03/05/91)

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>In article <2352@ksr.com>, jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) writes:
>|>The Electronic Engineering Times for 25 February 1991 has an article about
>|>the new shuttle computers which are scheduled to fly on Discovery "next week."
>|>The new AP101S computers use static-RAM memory and Schottky logic, replacing
>|>the old core-memory AP101B computers.

>Does the article say if the RAM is battery-backed or otherwise anything
>in place to make the memory non-volatile?  One standard procedure is
>"freeze-drying" a GPC (general purpose computer), which relies on the
>memory being non-volatile.

The article specifically mentions leaving several flight routines in
"battery-backed SRAM", avoiding having to load them off of tape in-flight.
The article doesn't say whether all the SRAM is battery-backed or just some
choice piece, though.

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (03/05/91)

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
> In article <2352@ksr.com>, jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) writes:
> |> The Electronic Engineering Times for 25 February 1991 has an article about
> |> the new shuttle computers which are scheduled to fly on Discovery "next week."
> |> The new AP101S computers use static-RAM memory and Schottky logic, replacing
> |> the old core-memory AP101B computers.
>
> Does the article say if the RAM is battery-backed or otherwise anything
> in place to make the memory non-volatile?  One standard procedure is
> "freeze-drying" a GPC (general purpose computer), which relies on the
> memory being non-volatile.  I'm curious if they are going to scrap that
> procedure or not.  Freeze-drying consists of loading the re-entry software
> into a GPC and turning the GPC off.  That way if the tape drives that
> contain the software both break, at least they have one computer to
> get them home again.
>
> Thanks for the summary!  My wife will be most interested in it.
>
> 		William LeFebvre
> 		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
> 		Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> 		Northwestern University
> 		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

Static RAM memory, I believe, is non volatile memory.

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu       "Good musicians execute
                                           their music but bad ones
Voice : (305) - 284 - 6482                 murder it !!! "

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (03/06/91)

Sorry folks,

Static Ram is NOT non volatile.  It simply doesn't need refreshing.

When the power goes off, so does the data.

There might be hope, though.  Radio Electronics magazine recently
had an article about standard CMOS with little ferric capacitors
etched right onto the chip to keep the logic gates intact when the
power is removed.  According to the article, it can keep data safe
for up to one year.  If this technology is successful, it could be
the next version of the flight computer.

sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.013344.7971@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>>
>> Does the article say if the RAM is battery-backed or otherwise anything
>> in place to make the memory non-volatile?  One standard procedure is
>
>Static RAM memory, I believe, is non volatile memory.

   No, static ram simply doesnt require the refresh cycle that dynamic
 ram requires. It is still volatile -- you'll lose the contents if it
 loses power.

   While its encouraging that NASA is finally moving beyond core memory
 for the shuttle ( welcome to the 90's ), why use writeable memory for
 program storage? As their code is extremely stable, it shouldnt be any
 problem to put everything they use into masked roms without any great
 penalty in weight or size ( mask roms have much better density than
 static rams ) with it all non volatile, non writeable.

   With the 230 lbs they saved they could put a couple hundred meg disk
 array on each CPU and...  Ooops! A technology must be atleast 10 years
 old before they trust it on the shuttle...

   The sidebar to the article was atleast as interesting as the article;
 It concerned the testimony of Dr Lewis Branscom to the House Science,
 Technology and Space Committee.

      [ ... ]

       "I was startled to discover that NASA did not allow any
      hardware to fly that was not previously flown--we sold them
      1968 technology" said Branscom. "I was even more shocked
      that NASA declined to give an MTBF [mean time between
      failure] for each of the five [general purpose computers that IBM
      sold NASA]. They would not give us a spec, but instead a goal.
      I believe it was 1,640 hours. We at IBM doubled that for internal
      guidence and peace of mind." said Branscom. In contrast, he
      noted that "the mean time between failure for a $2,000 computer
      for your home carries a commercial spec of 10,000 hours."

      [ ... ]

   ( and is a lot more powerfull as well )

--
Look Ma! No .sig!
                                        ..!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nowhere!sking

In article <1991Mar5.013344.7971@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>Static RAM memory, I believe, is non volatile memory.

No.  "Static" and "dynamic" refer to irrelevant details of the memory
technology; both are volatile unless battery backup or something similar
is done.  (Static memory *is* more amenable to battery backup.)
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.013344.7971@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>>
>> Does the article say if the RAM is battery-backed or otherwise anything
>> in place to make the memory non-volatile?  One standard procedure is
>> "freeze-drying" a GPC (general purpose computer), which relies on the
>> memory being non-volatile.  I'm curious if they are going to scrap that
>> procedure or not.  Freeze-drying consists of loading the re-entry software
>> into a GPC and turning the GPC off.  That way if the tape drives that
>> contain the software both break, at least they have one computer to
>> get them home again.
>>
>> Thanks for the summary!  My wife will be most interested in it.
>>
>> 		William LeFebvre
>> 		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
>> 		Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
>> 		Northwestern University
>> 		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>
>
>Static RAM memory, I believe, is non volatile memory.
>
>- Jonathan
>Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu       "Good musicians execute
>                                           their music but bad ones
>Voice : (305) - 284 - 6482                 murder it !!! "

Nope, sorry, STATIC RAM is quite volatile.  It just doesn't need to
be refreshed every so many milliseconds like Dynamic RAM.  If you
remove power to it though, data goes away.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Michael F. Santangelo                 + Inet: mike@uc780.umd.edu
VMS / UNIX Systems                    +       mike@socrates.umd.edu
Academic Computing UMUC               + Bnet: MIKE@UC780
(The University of Maryland,          +       MIKE@UMUC (not visited often)
 University College)                  +<Your clever net-phrase here>

jwl@garnet.berkeley.edu (James Wilbur Lewis) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar06.063034.12021@nowhere.uucp> sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:

>   With the 230 lbs they saved they could put a couple hundred meg disk
> array on each CPU and...

...watch their data get turned into a worthless pile of iron oxide if
the spacecraft changes attitude while the drives are spinning!

-- Jim Lewis

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (03/07/91)

jwl@garnet.berkeley.edu (James Wilbur Lewis) writes:
> In article <1991Mar06.063034.12021@nowhere.uucp> sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:
>>
>>   With the 230 lbs they saved they could put a couple hundred meg disk
>> array on each CPU and...
>
> ....watch their data get turned into a worthless pile of iron oxide if
> the spacecraft changes attitude while the drives are spinning!
>
> -- Jim Lewis

Hmm. Never thought of that.  I'm still in the dark ages (using an Apple II)
so I've not much firsthand experience with hard drives but I understand they are
incredibly finicky and it seems perfectly plausible that not only would
an attitude change wreck the drives but the vibrations of liftoff probably
wouldn't do much good either.

Anyway, since we're discussing technology too new for NASA, what
about optical drives - a CD-ROM drive (apart from being slow) would be
perfect for a non changing program like the STS uses.

- Jonathan      (yes the person responsible for non-volative S-RAM !!)

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/08/91)

jwl@garnet.berkeley.edu (James Wilbur Lewis) writes:

>In article <1991Mar06.063034.12021@nowhere.uucp> sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:
>>
>>   With the 230 lbs they saved they could put a couple hundred meg disk
>> array on each CPU and...

>...watch their data get turned into a worthless pile of iron oxide if
>the spacecraft changes attitude while the drives are spinning!

>-- Jim Lewis

I have heard of a "military spec" for hard drives which when adhered
to guarentees hard disks which can be mounted in any attitude (upside
down or whatever) and can withstand shock of several Gs with no adverse
effects.

Of course, I would have guessed that onthe Shuttle, they would be using
solid state "drives".

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

joefish@disk.uucp (joefish) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar5.201242.7993@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>Sorry folks,
>
>Static Ram is NOT non volatile.  It simply doesn't need refreshing.
>
>When the power goes off, so does the data.
>
>There might be hope, though.  Radio Electronics magazine recently
>had an article about standard CMOS with little ferric capacitors
>etched right onto the chip to keep the logic gates intact when the
>power is removed.  According to the article, it can keep data safe
>for up to one year.  If this technology is successful, it could be
>the next version of the flight computer.
>Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu       "Good musicians execute
>                                           their music but bad ones
>Voice : (305) - 284 - 6482                 murder it !!! "

Non-volatile RAM is in large supply now.   It is used extensively
in portable computers, and even as non-volatile RAM-disks on
portables instead of floppy drives.

I don't know if it would be better than battery powered backup RAM
or not, and it would certainly cost more.

There are several kinds of chips that are non-volatile, such as
electronically eraseable eprom and UV eraseable EPROM, but the
design of the system and the long lead time needed to develop
the required reliability may prevent some of the newer
chips from being used.

Joe Fischer       joefish@disk.UUCP

gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar5.013344.7971@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>>
>> Does the article say if the RAM is battery-backed or otherwise anything
>> in place to make the memory non-volatile?  One standard procedure is
>> "freeze-drying" a GPC (general purpose computer), which relies on the
>
>Static RAM memory, I believe, is non volatile memory.
>
>- Jonathan

Argh. Non-volatile, when referring to computer memory, refers to storage
media that can maintain the stored data in the absence of power. Core planes,
rom, prom, eprom, eeprom, and bubble memory are non-volatile.
	Random-Access-Memory(RAM) comes in 2 flavors: dynamic and static. Dynamic
memory requires an occaisional memory refresh pulse to maintian the stored
data. If the refresh is lost, the data is lost. Static memory, OTOH, can
maintain it's data without any kind of refresh mechanism. Both types require
the continual presence of electrical power, however small, to maintain data.

gregc@cimage.com

gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar06.063034.12021@nowhere.uucp> sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:

>   While its encouraging that NASA is finally moving beyond core memory
> for the shuttle ( welcome to the 90's ), why use writeable memory for

You mean: Welcome to the 70's!  :-)

gregc@cimage.com

In article <1991Mar7.010752.10632@agate.berkeley.edu> jwl@garnet.berkeley.edu (James Wilbur Lewis) writes:
>In article <1991Mar06.063034.12021@nowhere.uucp> sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:
>>
>>   With the 230 lbs they saved they could put a couple hundred meg disk
>> array on each CPU and...
>
>...watch their data get turned into a worthless pile of iron oxide if
>the spacecraft changes attitude while the drives are spinning!
>
>-- Jim Lewis

Actually, no. I have moved hard drives through several axies of rotation
while working on them to no ill effect. I would *not* recommend this be
done on a regular basis, however. Modern, small radius platers with light
weight winchester head technology should not be adversly affected. I doubt
that very much engineering work would be required to rate a drive for an
environment in which it would have to survive axis re-orientation while
operating. Most 3.5" harddrives that are used in laptops have to able to
handle this.
	HOWEVER, I would be much more worried about the effects of launch and
re-entry vibrations on the drive. THAT would be the killer.
	The bottom line is that harddrives are only useful in situations where
you will be *writing* alot of new data. The control program for the
shuttle is only *read* during flight, never written. A read only tape drive
can be made much more rugged than a hard drive.

gregc@cimage.com

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar9.044834.27802@cimage.com>, gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) writes:

>done on a regular basis, however. Modern, small radius platers with light
>weight winchester head technology should not be adversly affected. I doubt
>that very much engineering work would be required to rate a drive for an
>environment in which it would have to survive axis re-orientation while
>operating. Most 3.5" harddrives that are used in laptops have to able to
>handle this.

Yah, but most 3.5" hard drives are not in the process of being used whilst
being moved around (ie: You don't use a laptop on a rollercoster). Of course,
some brilliance will make the next generation of hard drives without (many)
moving parts in the next 2 years and they'll get retrofitted to the shuttle
follow-on in oh, 2030 :-)

>	The bottom line is that harddrives are only useful in situations where
>you will be *writing* alot of new data. The control program for the
>shuttle is only *read* during flight, never written. A read only tape drive
>can be made much more rugged than a hard drive.

Ick. Tape is slow. I like the CD-ROM idea better.

     Reform may be dying in the Soviet Union, but we have the right to
                introduce it to the DECUS Board of Directors.

  -- >                  SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU                        < --

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar9.044834.27802@cimage.com> gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) writes:

>  The bottom line is that harddrives are only useful in situations where
>you will be *writing* alot of new data. The control program for the
>shuttle is only *read* during flight, never written. A read only tape drive
>can be made much more rugged than a hard drive.

Well, then, hard drives are in a lot of trouble and will probably
never fly.

We were using a read-only tape drive in the F-15 HIDEC (Highly
Integrated Digital Engine Control) when we were doing one phase of a
trajectory control program.  We ended up aborting a lot of trajectory
guidance flights when the miserable tape drive died as we tried to
load the trajectory guidance code and checkpoints shortly after
takeoff.  We weren't doing anything like high-g maneuvering, either.
Just taxi, takeoff, and try to load on climbout.

Fortunately we had contingency flight cards and could do other test
points.  The Shuttle flight control system is another matter entirely.

--

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/11/91)

In article <SHAFER.91Mar9103052> shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
>In article <1991Mar9.044834.27802@cimage.com> gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau)
>>  The bottom line is that harddrives are only useful in situations where
>>you will be *writing* alot of new data. The control program for the
>>shuttle is only *read* during flight, never written. A read only tape drive
>>can be made much more rugged than a hard drive.

   I don't have proof positive, but would wager sums of money that the shuttle
'system' is NOT read only, else nasa would have certainly done 'rom' work.
A MAJOR defect of tape systems in interactive systems like flight controls
is the search/seek/acquire time.  When the shuttle is traveling mach 3 and
it yaws slightly or is determined to be off course slightly, a several second
delay while the appropriate correction program/data is loaded could be tragic.
The same can be said about the prefromance problem if all data is out together,
and miles of tape needs to be fast forwarded as the shuttle transitions between
major segments of it's mission (1. ignition, 2. launch, 3. clear tower, 4. roll
5. etc....)

>We were using a read-only tape drive in the F-15 HIDEC (Highly
>Integrated Digital Engine Control) when we were doing one phase of a
>trajectory control program.  We ended up aborting a lot of trajectory
>guidance flights when the miserable tape drive died as we tried to
>load the trajectory guidance code and checkpoints shortly after
>takeoff.  We weren't doing anything like high-g maneuvering, either.
>Just taxi, takeoff, and try to load on climbout.

As hard drive technology improves, density increases, head size decreases,
amplifier/noise improves, shock/temp stability improves, all of whiich we
see every day, EVENTUALLY, they (nasa/contractors) will probably be able to
make drives that have enough head fly space & 'stuff' like density, speed,
etc, that will make them reliable enough for the demanding rigors of space
flight or sim.  I've heard it flung around about portable drives and stuff,
but this is like comparing a skateboard to a porsche.  Ask a few people who
were using computers during the world series earthquakes.  The reports I've
seen put the computer damage in the millions, and that wasn't just water damage
or stuff either...   I have yet to see anybody using a portable that was
moving in 3 axis, vibrating 'inc' at multiple frequencies and accelerating
and decelerating through multiple planes simultaneously.
Mary's story provides a indication just how rugged and demanding data i/o
services need to be for hostile enviroments AND what happens EVEN when the
hostile environment is planned for.
I wish Mary was able to provide a bit more info in regards to the flight/data
system. Such as how much tape storage and other data storage was required
for the system described.  And possibly a indication of how long a period of
time during which the biggest portion of this was to be done.  I suspect that
even this system had to have compromises made, and experienced a forced
reduction of desired data.  Further that these limits efectively lengthened
the total time (number of flights) required to complete everything desired.
The shear amount of data for even 1 flight handled would astound most people
in both volume and time.

al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.164459.5216@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>As hard drive technology improves, density increases, head size decreases,
>amplifier/noise improves, shock/temp stability improves, all of whiich we
>see every day, EVENTUALLY, they (nasa/contractors) will probably be able to
>make drives that have enough head fly space & 'stuff' like density, speed,
>etc, that will make them reliable enough for the demanding rigors of space
>flight or sim.  I've heard it flung around about portable drives and stuff,
>but this is like comparing a skateboard to a porsche.

>I have yet to see anybody using a portable that was
>moving in 3 axis, vibrating 'inc' at multiple frequencies and accelerating
>and decelerating through multiple planes simultaneously.

I recall that a GRID portable computer (with hard drive) *was* flown
on a shuttle flight.  I also seem to remember that it had more
computing power and memory than *all* of the shuttle's onboard
computers...

I believe it was used for plotting the shuttle's position and
trajectory.  Does anyone have the details?

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Department of Computer Science

sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.164459.5216@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>In article <SHAFER.91Mar9103052> shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
>>In article <1991Mar9.044834.27802@cimage.com> gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau)
>>>  The bottom line is that harddrives are only useful in situations where
>>>you will be *writing* alot of new data. The control program for the
>>>shuttle is only *read* during flight, never written. A read only tape drive
>>>can be made much more rugged than a hard drive.
>
>   I don't have proof positive, but would wager sums of money that the shuttle
>'system' is NOT read only, else nasa would have certainly done 'rom' work.
>A MAJOR defect of tape systems in interactive systems like flight controls
>is the search/seek/acquire time.  When the shuttle is traveling mach 3 and
>it yaws slightly or is determined to be off course slightly, a several second
>delay while the appropriate correction program/data is loaded could be tragic.
>The same can be said about the prefromance problem if all data is out together,
>and miles of tape needs to be fast forwarded as the shuttle transitions between
>major segments of it's mission (1. ignition, 2. launch, 3. clear tower, 4. roll
>5. etc....)

   This is precisely what the AP101B required. Again quoting from the article
 in the E E Times;

           "we've always underestimated memory requirements in the
        shuttle program" Littleton [ manager at JSC Orbiter Avionics
        Systems office ] said. "We had a concern for transition from
        orbiter ascent-type software to re-entry software in the case
        we might need a transatlantic abort".
           As a result of the new computer-data organization, NASA
        will use the extra memory to place in SRAM many of the flight
        routines that previously were off-line -- resident on tape
        drives that required them to be loaded into system memory on
        demand. Now these commands could be at the ready in battery
        backed SRAM, boosting the flexibility of the shuttle mission.

   It would be interesting to see some of this software. Some early 70's
 fortran code no doubt...

--

roberts@CMR.NCSL.NIST.GOV (John Roberts) (03/12/91)

>From: cabp10@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Theora Jones, In Person!)
>Newsgroups: sci.space.shuttle
>Subject: Re: New (!?!?!?!) Shuttle Computers
>Date: 7 Mar 91 14:23:11 GMT

> Excuse me for my ignorance in this matter, but I'm still a student and I find
>it completely unbelievable that NASA are using technology that even 'toy'
>home computers no longer use...
> Core memories???? I was under the impression they went out about the same time
>as gas street lights and computers that took up a whole building just to add
>two numbers !

"Went out" of what? Went out of *fashion*??? You feel the Shuttle computers
must have the newest technology, the shiniest chrome, the biggest tailfins,
just to *impress* people? [Note 1]. I'd say a much better criterion is the
question of what it takes to do the needed job. For the Shuttle flight control
system, I gather that the actual processing requirements are fairly low -
what's really critical is reliability. Part of the assurance of reliability
is having a good "track record", particularly in the specific expected
mode of operation. The inevitable result is that systems with the highest
reliability requirements tend to use considerably older technology than
systems that are only concerned with performance. The situation is extreme
in the case of the Shuttle, because a reliable system had to be specified
back in the 1970s, and having found a system that works, there had to be
considerable incentive to find a replacement, because of the effort in
verifying compatibility. Magnetic memory has a longer history than
semiconductor memory, and has features that recommend it for high-reliability
space applications. It's interesting that semiconductor memory reliability
has advanced to the point that it can be considered as a valid replacement
for core for this purpose. Regarding the new computers, I suspect it was
the longer MTBF rather than the faster operation that prompted the change.

> Magnetic Tape???? what about disks????? even floppies, with up to 20MB on a
>single 3.5" provide a sturdier, more convenient answer.. and how about the
>DATAPac technology? 100MB and more hard disks, especially suited to being
>roughed around?

Relatively few storage media have actually disappeared from use. Often, the
different technologies develop application niches for which they offer better
performance for price than other technologies. Disk drives are for random
access, high throughput and fairly low access latency, and are good where
intermixed reading and writing are desired. Magnetic tapes are for serial
access, moderate data rate, usually reading *or* writing but not both,
low price, and massive quantities of data. Archiving and loading software
are often better served by tape. Just as an example, we recently obtained
a tape drive that uses 8mm video tapes. Now we can go to local stores and
buy a cartridge about the size of a standard audio cassette, which costs
about $5.00 and will store about 2.3 gigabytes of data. I don't know of any
disk technology that comes anywhere close in price/capacity. Similarly, the
application for which the Shuttle uses its tape drive sounds like one of
those better handled by tape.

> I would be looking at, AT THE LEAST, radiation hardened datapacs, storing the
>flight programs (with 3 backups,each one oriented a different way so that a
>sharp manuver that might just crash the heads on one will only move them on
>another)

Right now, the Shuttle computers are not reliant on any mechanical storage
media during use. Do you propose to change this? Can you think of a reason
to justify the increased risk if the nonmechanical storage for runtime use
already does a completely satisfactory job? Given that we don't want a
failure of any one processor or processor-disk assembly to bring down the
whole system, do you want 15 separate disk drives, or just the one set
with an extremely complex safety interlock mechanism?

>I would expect radiation hardened processors, of an industry sstandard
>type (80x86, or 680x0 series)

Why - so high school students can write the Shuttle flight programs?
This is a very highly specialized software package, with all sorts of
constraints that do not apply to most other software. It makes sense to build
a computer to run the particular intended application, and making special-
purpose computers out of standard bit-slice components is a long-established
industry standard.

Also, there may be operational constraints we do not know about. For example,
if pipelined instruction fetch were deemed undesirable, this would eliminate
most of the latest commercial microprocessors from consideration.

>for easy replacement, and a well tested and
>trusted product.

I hope you don't think they would just buy one off the shelf and stick it in
without at least weeks of intensive testing. Remember the stakes if the system
fails at the wrong time.

>As has been suggested by someone else already, EAROMS or just
>straight ROMS can be used for holding much of the non changing code in memory
>during a flight.

They tend to be slower than RAM, and at least EAROMs are probably less reliable
than RAM - certainly fewer write cycles.

> as for RAM needs, if in 1991, the leading manufacturers of semiconductors can
>put upwards of 10^6 transistors on a chip, but can't make radiation resistant
>store, then we shouldn't be puttin people into space, we should be putting them
>into the space inside some peoples heads, to find the technology we need!!!!

Remember that "radiation resistant" does not mean the same thing as "radiation
proof". I'm sure radiation resistant DRAM exists, even though static RAM is
likely to be more resistant. (Static RAM also tends to be faster.) But I think
you're missing the point of the choice of static RAM: it's much simpler to
use in a real-time system.

Considerable research has been done in recent years on how to make computer
programs more reliable. It's almost impossible to eliminate all bugs in
a complex control system, but with great effort the effect can be minimized.
It has been remarked that the Shuttle control software is one of the most
nearly perfect large pieces of code ever written. Part of this is due to
the effort to make it as nearly deterministic as possible. For instance,
I believe branches are forbidden, and probably also interrupts. DRAM requires
frequent periodic refresh, "independent" of the state of execution. This
can be done externally via a DRAM controller, but since this forces wait states
on the processor at unpredictable times, it would not be acceptable for
this use. The alternative is to perform refresh every few milliseconds under
processor control, so every part of the code must include provisions for the
refresh. Also remember that you have several processors running in lock-step
mode, so the refreshes must not throw off synchronization, and yet you want
as few single points of failure as possible, so an external clock periodically
polled is probably not acceptable.

In short, I presume the designers felt that DRAM was not worth the additional
trouble compared to static RAM at this time. There's no guarantee that this
will always be the case.

>Theora Jones  Strathclyde University, SCOTLAND   || " I can fly higher than an
>CABP10@uk.ac.strath.vaxa (somewhere on JANET)    ||   Eagle, with you as the
>CABP10%vaxa.strath.ac.uk (elsewhere, hopefully)  ||   wind beneath my wings "
>CABP10%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@ukacrl (just might work)||                 8:-) 1990
>WE SUPPORTED DESERT STORM ! KUWAIT IS NOW FREE ! ||      "Lets be MAWS!"

[Note 1]: What's latest and most fashionable is not always the best guide
for selection of an item for a specific application. For instance, in
comparison to analog display watches, digital display watches are at least
as accurate, usually more durable, generally easier to read, and considerably
cheaper - and yet many people would rather die than be caught wearing a
digital display watch (unless it reads "SPORTS WATCH" in big letters, and can
calculate multiple lap intervals, etc.), because the analog display watches
are all the fashion rage now. I suppose they do make better jewelry, but for
the most part the digital displays are the superior choice for the basic
function of telling time.

Similarly for circuit designs, we sometimes still use the venerable 555 timer
and 74120 digital pulse synchronizer. They were both designed more than 20
years ago, and yet for some applications they're still a very good choice.

         John Roberts
         roberts@cmr.ncsl.nist.gov

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar06.063034.12021@nowhere.uucp>, sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:

|>    While its encouraging that NASA is finally moving beyond core memory
|>  for the shuttle ( welcome to the 90's ), why use writeable memory for
|>  program storage? As their code is extremely stable, it shouldnt be any
|>  problem to put everything they use into masked roms without any great
|>  penalty in weight or size ( mask roms have much better density than
|>  static rams ) with it all non volatile, non writeable.

They load different parts of the software for different phases of flight.
The 101-B (and 101-S) computer are not capable of addressing much more than
125K words, so they are constrained in that regard.  The software is just
too large to have all of it loaded in at the same time.  And since it isn't
all needed at the same time......  At the very least there are separate
programs for ascent, orbit, and reentry.  I am fairly confident that there
are several parts of the ascent software that get loaded in at various
phases of ascent.  I'll check with my wife later today if I think of it.
She would know, or at least would be able to look it up.

In article <00945591.AE398080@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
|> >	The bottom line is that harddrives are only useful in situations where
|> >you will be *writing* alot of new data. The control program for the
|> >shuttle is only *read* during flight, never written. A read only tape drive
|> >can be made much more rugged than a hard drive.
|>
|> Ick. Tape is slow. I like the CD-ROM idea better.

A tape drive is what they use now.  It has the advantage of being a
"proven" and "well established" technology.  Would you trust YOUR life
to a CD-ROM drive?  I might.  Would you trust YOUR life to dynamic ram?
I certainly would not.

In article <YAMAUCHI.91Mar10135135@heron.cs.rochester.edu>, yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
|> I recall that a GRID portable computer (with hard drive) *was* flown
|> on a shuttle flight.  I also seem to remember that it had more
|> computing power and memory than *all* of the shuttle's onboard
|> computers...

A modified GRID is standard equipment on every shuttle flight.  It is
used by the crew to determine orbital position.  It is informational
ONLY.  It does not actually control anything.  I think it is only there
to make the crew feel better:  it is not used in any of the standard
operating procedures.  Its display is basically a duplicate of the big-
screen map in mission control.

A GRID, for those who don't know, is a laptop '386 machine.  It is
convection cooled.  NASA modified it by taking out the builtin modem
(not very useful in orbit) and adding a cooling fan in its place---
convection cooling doesn't work too well in orbit.

In article <1991Mar10.210059.26743@nowhere.uucp>, sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:
|>    It would be interesting to see some of this software. Some early 70's
|>  fortran code no doubt...

Nope.  I've seen some.  It's IBM assembly language.  I'm not sure about
its origins---it may have originally been generated by a compiler.  But
the assembly code itself has been modified (dare I say "hacked on") quite
a bit thru the years.  I'll try to get more details this evening.

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

roberts@CMR.NCSL.NIST.GOV (John Roberts) (03/12/91)

>From: dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey)
>Newsgroups: sci.space.shuttle
>Subject: Re: New (!?!?!?!) Shuttle Computers

>To be a little more fair, they have a very complex vehicle. It is
>important to make sure that changes don't affect the system in unexpected
>ways, so it takes a lot of integration engineering and testing to do that.

Good point.

>Besides the fact that NASA is supposed to be pushing technology if their
>existence is to have any value to the taxpayers.  The state of the Shuttle GPC
>indicates pretty clearly that the current
>NASA (at least the manned space side) is scared to death of anything new.
>That, though, is the ultimate state of any hidebound bureaucracy:  it's
>better not to make a mistake than not to accomplish anything.

That's what Congress consistently tells them with respect to manned
spaceflight, so it's hard to blame them for taking that attitude.

NASA does push computer technology on the ground, and (I believe) in
flight control systems for experimental aircraft such as the X-29.
But the Shuttle is not primarily intended as a testbed for flight control
systems - it does push technology in several areas (such as the SSME design),
but is also supposed to serve as an operational system. In this context,
I think they can perhaps be forgiven for not trying to use the very latest
technology in *every* aspect of the Shuttle.

>Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu    ***  IMAGINE YOUR LOGO HERE  ******

John Roberts
roberts@cmr.ncsl.nist.gov

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (03/12/91)

In article <YAMAUCHI.91Mar10135135@heron.cs.rochester.edu>, yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
>I recall that a GRID portable computer (with hard drive) *was* flown
>on a shuttle flight.  I also seem to remember that it had more
>computing power and memory than *all* of the shuttle's onboard
>computers...

Sure. But not open on someone's lap chuggin' away upon launch :-)

jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) (03/12/91)

roberts@CMR.NCSL.NIST.GOV (John Roberts) writes:
>"Went out" of what? Went out of *fashion*??? You feel the Shuttle computers
>must have the newest technology, the shiniest chrome, the biggest tailfins,
>just to *impress* people?

Oh, come on now.  I think the Shuttle would look GREAT with tailfins!  :-)
[Although it might not look like it, I'm actually agreeing with John Roberts
here, just looking at the questions from a slightly different viewpoint]

>>I would expect radiation hardened processors, of an industry sstandard
>>type (80x86, or 680x0 series)
>Why - so high school students can write the Shuttle flight programs?
>This is a very highly specialized software package, with all sorts of
>constraints that do not apply to most other software. It makes sense to build
>a computer to run the particular intended application, and making special-
>purpose computers out of standard bit-slice components is a long-established
>industry standard.

Well, as I understand it, the AP-101 architecture is pretty much a small
IBM 360, which was pretty "standard" when it was designed.  NASA now has
a huge stack of assembly-language (or near-assembly-language) software
which is extremely thoroughly debugged -- not "well, gee, it ran ok twice
in a row" but debugged as in hundreds of suspicious software engineers can't
find any more problems.  That is NOT the kind of investment you throw away
just so that Flight Simulator will run on the flight system...  :-)

>>As has been suggested by someone else already, EAROMS or just
>>straight ROMS can be used for holding much of the non changing code in memory
>>during a flight.
>They tend to be slower than RAM, and ... EAROMs [have] fewer write cycles.

ROMs aren't all that slow (they're faster than the cores that got replaced).
However, battery-backed-up SRAM (as is indeed found in the AP-101S) is faster,
and certainly more flexible -- you can recover the address space used by the
launch program!  (:-)  An EPROM-based semiconductor-"disk" might make sense,
but as you point out, tape drives now have capacities far in excess of a
reasonable semiconductor disk system.

>>as for RAM needs, if in 1991, the leading manufacturers of semiconductors can
>>put upwards of 10^6 transistors on a chip, but can't make radiation resistant
>>store, then ...
>Remember that "radiation resistant" does not mean the same thing as "radiation
>proof". I'm sure radiation resistant DRAM exists, even though static RAM is
>likely to be more resistant. (Static RAM also tends to be faster.) But I think
>you're missing the point of the choice of static RAM: it's much simpler to
>use in a real-time system.

DRAM refresh isn't really all that tough a problem, and can be made as
deterministic as you like if the DRAMS are fast enough.  I think it is more
likely that the key is the battery backup -- DRAM refresh consumes power at
the same rate as normal use, whereas SRAMs frequently have power-down modes
consuming fractional microwatts (this, though, depends on whether the memory
"scrubbing" is performed when the system is powered down; if it is, then the
SRAMs probably aren't being put into low-power mode...); and, of course,
SRAMs are generally more radiation resistant as you mention.

bdietz@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jack Dietz) (03/12/91)

As I recall from the very early flights and a dog-eared copy of the
Space Shuttle Operator's Manual, the original shuttle programs were
written in Very High-level Shuttle Instruction Code (VHSIC).  This
came up during those T-00:31 launch aborts when the announcers were
trying to cover programmers frantically debugging on national
television...

Also, in the instructions from the SSOM, several times during the
launch sequence the instructions tell the commander to punch in a
command to load another software package.  [OPS] 105, for example,
loaded the package used between T-19 minutes and T-5 minutes, I
believe.

A suggestion: If the instruction space is limited to 128K words or
so, bank switching sounds like an answer -- copying the routines
directly to ROM images with an added instruction to switch banks at
the end of each.

Howabout a milspec SPARC processor?  (just kidding)  Actually, the
XT-370 computers which IBM made for a while used a 68000 with the
microcode replaced to run 370 programs on an expander card.  Perhaps
NASA could convince a couple of companies to update that chip in a
radiation-hardened manner?
--
The Army Axiom:                       | Jack Dietz (bdietz@ucsd.edu)
  Any order that can be misunderstood | Looking Forward to a Future

pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) (03/13/91)

In article <2601@ksr.com>, jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) writes:
> roberts@CMR.NCSL.NIST.GOV (John Roberts) writes:
> >"Went out" of what? Went out of *fashion*??? You feel the Shuttle computers
> >must have the newest technology, the shiniest chrome, the biggest tailfins,
> >just to *impress* people?
>
> Oh, come on now.  I think the Shuttle would look GREAT with tailfins!  :-)

Hey, Dyna-Soar had tailfins...

--
This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov)

lou@caber.valid.com (Louis K. Scheffer) (03/13/91)

A hard disk drive would probably work OK on the shuttle, although perhaps not
during launch.  Hard disk drives are surprisingly rugged while running.  When
operating, the air bearing is quite stiff, and keeps the head off the surface
very easily.  The bearings are quite strong, so the most likely limiting factor
would be the servos that keep the head on track.  These servos have a few
hundred hertz of bandwidth and about 10 Gs of acceleration, so they can handle
many Gs at low frequencies.  Maneuvers are probably OK, but the vibrations of
launch probably would not be.

NASA used to use standard commercial disc drives (from HP) in the Kuiper(?)
observatory, which is the plane they fly with the infrared telescope.  The
drives had to cope with vibration, reduced atmospheric pressure (a problem
for most hard disks), gyroscopic effects, temperature variations, etc.
These were about 1975 vintage drives, though, which had large disk-to-head
clearances, and these drives also retracted the heads when not in use.
I don't know what they use now.

Optical drives should be better still, since the head to disc spacing can
be so large (1 mm) and does not depend on air bearings.

mlc@aten.cca.rok.com (Michael L. Cook) (03/13/91)

According to the recent PBS NOVA series on the Soviet space program,
the Soviets are using the same booster to launch current manned flights
as they used for Gagarin's first flight.  They have much the same concerns
for safety, upgrades as we do.   Inertia for using what works is very strong,
and not just in the space program.

Michael Cook
Internet: mlc%gva.decnet@consrt.rok.com
"Post no bills"

colwell@omews1.intel.com (Robert Colwell) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar7.010752.10632@agate.berkeley.edu> jwl@garnet.berkeley.edu (James Wilbur Lewis) writes:
>In article <1991Mar06.063034.12021@nowhere.uucp> sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:
>>
>>   With the 230 lbs they saved they could put a couple hundred meg disk
>> array on each CPU and...
>
>...watch their data get turned into a worthless pile of iron oxide if
>the spacecraft changes attitude while the drives are spinning!

In the "for what it's worth" category, I submit the following.  In the
early 80's somebody bought a Perq graphics workstation for use in pursuing
his dream of winning the America's Cup sailing prize.  At the time we
figured he was doing some kind of graphical modelling of the hull or
something.  Turns out the guy had the whole machine, Winchester disk and
all, mounted in a gimbal in the boat itself, and he was using the computer
to help plan race strategies in real time.  Given all the elaborate
precautions we had to take to even move a machine on a flat floor (head
locking screws etc.) our jaws dropped when we heard about this.  He claimed
it worked just fine.  Of course, if we tried to apply his "technology" to
the shuttle I suspect it's not his technical acumen we'd want, it's his
luck.

Bob Colwell  colwell@mipon2.intel.com  503-696-4550
Intel Corp.  JF1-19
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124

In article <1991Mar13.084501@aten.cca.rok.com> MLC%GVA.DECNET@CONSRT.ROK.COM writes:
>the Soviets are using the same booster to launch current manned flights
>as they used for Gagarin's first flight.  They have much the same concerns
>for safety, upgrades as we do.   Inertia for using what works is very strong,
>and not just in the space program.

I think you're confusing continued use of the same basic design with
upgrading its innards.  Yes, the A booster is still in use.  In fact, it
goes further:  ignoring some variations in upper stages, the launcher
used for Soyuz today is the same one that launched Sputnik 1.  It's the
only mass-produced launcher on Earth.

However, the Soviets have upgraded their spacecraft repeatedly, and
presumably (although there is little information available) have done
the same for the launcher.

Contrast this to the US, which regularly throws out old basic designs
in favor of a clean sheet of paper, but then balks at doing minor
upgrades during their operational lifetime.
--

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/14/91)

In article <> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Mar13.084501@aten.cca> MLC%GVA.DECNET@CONSRT.ROK.COM writes:
>>the Soviets are using the same booster to launch current manned flights
>>as they used for Gagarin's first flight.  They have much the same concerns
>>for safety, upgrades as we do.   Inertia for using what works is very strong,
>>and not just in the space program.

>upgrading its innards.  Yes, the A booster is still in use.  In fact, it
>goes further:  ignoring some variations in upper stages, the launcher
>used for Soyuz today is the same one that launched Sputnik 1.  It's the

>However, the Soviets have upgraded their spacecraft repeatedly, and

I think you can go a step farther.  In terribly generic terms, the actual
launcher is kinda a big roman candle and the 'smarts' are generally more
confined around the capsule, from which any control I/O is kinda routed.
Further, the soviet design philosophy has been to keep all the 'smarts'
possible on the ground and to actually launch very 'spartan' equipment.
Therefore, the soviets could well make great strides in computer upgrades for
the system without making (virtually) ANY modifications (at least ones we
could see) to either the capsule or launch vechicle.
I saw some film of the inside of the soviet lunar module recently.  The voice
over suggested it looked like a 19'th century steam engine, but I thougt it
looked much like the control room of a WWII submarine.  The pilot stood in
front of about 10 large steel handles, assumeably pulling handles to operate
positioning jets....  Even in 1970 I don't think I could have been convinced
to ride in this....
al

--

msjohnso@daisy.WichitaKS.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar9.044834.27802@cimage.com> gregc@dgsi.UUCP (Greg Cronau/10000) writes:
>	The bottom line is that harddrives are only useful in situations where
>you will be *writing* alot of new data. The control program for the
>shuttle is only *read* during flight, never written. A read only tape drive
>can be made much more rugged than a hard drive.

I wonder if they've considered using CD-ROM as a storage medium for the control
programs. It's rugged, the drives can be lighter than tapes, the media is
not alterable except by drastic accident on-board, etc.

Well, maybe someday....
--
Mark Johnson   On the air:  WB9QLR/0  USnail: NCR Peripheral Products Division
E-mail:  Mark.Johnson@Wichita.NCR.COM         3718 N. Rock Rd.

eagle@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) (03/19/91)

msjohnso@daisy.WichitaKS.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) writes:
>I wonder if they've considered using CD-ROM as a storage medium for the control
>programs. It's rugged, the drives can be lighter than tapes, the media is
>not alterable except by drastic accident on-board, etc.

Have you ever used a CD player?  I don't think a CD-ROM is a viable
alternative, as it is very easy to "skip" a CD player (for instance,
just tap or hit the desk near a CD player and listen to it skip).  I
should think that the g-forces and vibrations experienced during launch
would be too harsh for the CD-ROM drive.

>Well, maybe someday....

>Mark Johnson

Daniel
Name: Daniel C. L'Hommedieu III   Snail: NCSU Box 21531/Raleigh/NC/27607
INet: eagle@catt.ncsu.edu         Prodigy ID: bccj33d   Tel:919 737 6143
	"Atheism's too easy--there's nothing to it." --unknown
CTFTW: Is equal opportunity enhanced through quotas?

jadahlin@acsu.buffalo.edu (jason a dahlin) (03/19/91)

eagle@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) writes:
>msjohnso@daisy.WichitaKS.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) writes:
>>I wonder if they've considered using CD-ROM as a storage medium for the control
>>programs. It's rugged, the drives can be lighter than tapes, the media is
>>not alterable except by drastic accident on-board, etc.

>Have you ever used a CD player?  I don't think a CD-ROM is a viable
>alternative, as it is very easy to "skip" a CD player (for instance,
>just tap or hit the desk near a CD player and listen to it skip).  I
>should think that the g-forces and vibrations experienced during launch
>would be too harsh for the CD-ROM drive.

I would think that they could manage a sufficient anti-role mechanism to
counteract this.  They already have cheap ones in most good discmans.

My question is this... does anyone know if cd-rom is effected by magnets or
magnetic forces?

papa sm00sh
--
jadahlin@acsu.buffalo.edu
v285raag@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

morgan@spectra.com (Mike Morgan) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.231328.24932@ncsu.edu> eagle@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) writes:
>msjohnso@daisy.WichitaKS.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) writes:
>>I wonder if they've considered using CD-ROM as a storage medium for the control
>>programs. It's rugged, the drives can be lighter than tapes, the media is
>>not alterable except by drastic accident on-board, etc.
>
>Have you ever used a CD player?  I don't think a CD-ROM is a viable
>alternative, as it is very easy to "skip" a CD player (for instance,
>just tap or hit the desk near a CD player and listen to it skip).  I
>should think that the g-forces and vibrations experienced during launch
>would be too harsh for the CD-ROM drive.
>
>>Well, maybe someday....

And that some day is today. Already companies such as Hewelett Packard and
Meridian Data already produce CD-ROM publishing systems. I believe manuals
for Boeing Jets are one such application. The big problem is not the skip
that occurs on many of the poorly made musical CD players, but the seek and
retrieve time required by the CD-ROM drives. Also, the inability to record
reduces their desirability. However, I would not be surprised if they become
standard fare on future missions.

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (03/21/91)

In article <66172@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> jadahlin@acsu.buffalo.edu (jason a dahlin) writes:

   My question is this... does anyone know if cd-rom is effected by magnets or
   magnetic forces?

I don't know about magnets, although I'd expect the answer to be "No".

However, according to Norman Bushnell (Feedback, New Scientist, 23
Feb) CDs outgas.

"If the discs are stored under low pressure, gas will seep out of the
plastics materials used in making them.  The gas forms bubbles in the
plastics which make it impossible for the laser in the player to read
the disc.

"`It happened mainly with early discs,' says Bushnell. `But you can
still have a CD that plays perfectly, take it on a plane journey in
your baggage and find afterwards that it no longer plays.  Not a lot
of people know that.  It's not something the record companies like to
talk about.'  Surprise, surprise."

Since the baggage holds of most modern airliners are kept at about
6,000 to 8,000 ft pressure altitude, this implies it doesn't take much
of a delta-P to do the trick.

--

erics@sco.COM (eric smith) (03/27/91)

eagle@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) writes:

>Have you ever used a CD player?  I don't think a CD-ROM is a viable
>alternative, as it is very easy to "skip" a CD player (for instance,
>just tap or hit the desk near a CD player and listen to it skip).  I
>should think that the g-forces and vibrations experienced during launch
>would be too harsh for the CD-ROM drive.

Well I have a CD player in my car. It's only skipped twice in a year
and a half of constant use, both times during very heavy jolts while
going over railroad tracks.

Eric