[sci.space.shuttle] OIL & TILES

jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) (03/16/91)

This is to the people who reponed to my idea about using shuttle tiles to aide
fire fighting the oil well fires in the desert.

First, The construction.  I wouldn't think that the structure would need to be
completely solid.  With as much smoke that they give off, one wouldn't need
that trap every piece of smoke.  The oil flow after the fires out could flow
freely.

Second, The tiles are included because at the time they were introduce, the
space shuttle publicitity was high on them resisting heat.  They showed a
guy holding a tile after it was torched with a welding torch.  If anything,
does anybody think they would make good fire wallls.  Its seems to protect
the shuttle pilots when they reenter into a self generated wall of fire.

Third, I thank you for your responces.  I did know that bombs could be used!
I question how safe they are to use!  What about chain reaction?  There are
a lot of oil there just ready to blaze.  What about the damage to
surranding
areas?

Forth, Now that we showed the world how powerful our technology has made us,
Lets show off and show how our technology can help man instead of destroying
it!  We are raging a war on the environment and the party has just begun.
The fires over there will affect the world as a whole and rally around and
win this one!!!!!

Jim   (jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu)

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar15.181742.20073@welch.jhu.edu> jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) writes:
>This is to the people who reponed to my idea about using shuttle tiles to aide
>fire fighting the oil well fires in the desert.
>
>First, The construction.  I wouldn't think that the structure would need to be
>completely solid.  With as much smoke that they give off, one wouldn't need
>that trap every piece of smoke.  The oil flow after the fires out could flow
>freely.

NO NO NO.....with respect, ask yourself this. If you block heat what happens
??? It builds up! Your dome idea is not close to being feasible because by
building a dome you trap such heat that whatever structure/dome/giant lid
you use will get anihilated, as well as melting the very foundation or
sand that exists around the fire area. Add on to that the fact that as you
close the structure more and more forcefull winds are created as the fire
sucks more air in less space.

>Second, The tiles are included because at the time they were introduce, the
>space shuttle publicitity was high on them resisting heat.  They showed a
>guy holding a tile after it was torched with a welding torch.  If anything,
>does anybody think they would make good fire wallls.  Its seems to protect
>the shuttle pilots when they reenter into a self generated wall of fire.

yes but the heat has somewhere to go, most of it is deflected off the
craft, your dome doesnt do that.

>Third, I thank you for your responces.  I did know that bombs could be used!
>I question how safe they are to use!  What about chain reaction?  There are
>a lot of oil there just ready to blaze.  What about the damage to
>surranding
>areas?

No chain reaction! What's going to react? The only fear is that the super
heated metal well equipment re-ignites the fire, or that the explossion
just fails to work.

>Forth, Now that we showed the world how powerful our technology has made us,
>Lets show off and show how our technology can help man instead of destroying
>it!  We are raging a war on the environment and the party has just begun.
>The fires over there will affect the world as a whole and rally around and
>win this one!!!!!
>
>Jim   (jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu)

Whatever.....its not like there is no incentive to put out the fire, afterall
oil is Kuwait's only source of income (other than what ever investments they
have going). You just have to understand that it is a logistical nightmare
to put out so many well fires, with limited companys that have been doing
this sort of thing for years.

Bill

jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.221601.21156@dmntor.UUCP> bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.181742.20073@welch.jhu.edu> jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) writes:

>>Forth, Now that we showed the world how powerful our technology has made us,
>>Lets show off and show how our technology can help man instead of destroying
>>it!  We are raging a war on the environment and the party has just begun.
>>The fires over there will affect the world as a whole and rally around and
>>win this one!!!!!
>>
>>Jim   (jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu)
>
>Whatever.....its not like there is no incentive to put out the fire, afterall
>oil is Kuwait's only source of income (other than what ever investments they
>have going). You just have to understand that it is a logistical nightmare
>to put out so many well fires, with limited companys that have been doing
>this sort of thing for years.
>
>Bill

Not whatever, please!  putting out those fires goes beyond any measure of
income!!!!!!!!!  Everyday spent near any of the smoke is like being hookup
to something alot worse then your car exhaust!!!  See how longs it takes
for the cancer rate to rise.  There is also the oil spill.  From the news
I've read in this group, I know your are ALL intelligent and creative.
Let's pull together and help these limited companys that have been doing
 this sort of thing for years.

Jim

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.200754.2554@welch.jhu.edu> jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) writes:
>In article <1991Mar21.221601.21156@dmntor.UUCP> bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar15.181742.20073@welch.jhu.edu> jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) writes:
>
>>>Forth, Now that we showed the world how powerful our technology has made us,
>>>Lets show off and show how our technology can help man instead of destroying
>>>it!  We are raging a war on the environment and the party has just begun.
>>>The fires over there will affect the world as a whole and rally around and
>>>win this one!!!!!
>>>
>>>Jim   (jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu)
>>
>>Whatever.....its not like there is no incentive to put out the fire, afterall
>>oil is Kuwait's only source of income (other than what ever investments they
>>have going). You just have to understand that it is a logistical nightmare
>>to put out so many well fires, with limited companys that have been doing
>>this sort of thing for years.
>>
>>Bill
>
>Not whatever, please!  putting out those fires goes beyond any measure of
>income!!!!!!!!!  Everyday spent near any of the smoke is like being hookup
>to something alot worse then your car exhaust!!!  See how longs it takes
>for the cancer rate to rise.  There is also the oil spill.  From the news
>I've read in this group, I know your are ALL intelligent and creative.
>Let's pull together and help these limited companys that have been doing
> this sort of thing for years.
>
>Jim

You don't get it do you??? It's not a question of will, it is a question of
logistics. I acknowledge that the local ecological damage is severe, it is not
however a global catastrophy like some of the press and environment people
have suggested. What do you think happens to the oil when it is not burned
in oil fires.....its not made into baby formula! It is burned in the form of
fuel etc etc. It is not a 0 sum game I grant you, however you forget that
this oil will sooner or later end up polluting.

It is not a question of "lets pull together". This is not a backyard fence
building party! You're looking for a solution that doesn't exist. Your looking
for a miracle....this is the stuff of dreamers and pacifists, who allow
the negativeness of a situation to excuse all abandonment of logic and fact.

You original dome scheme was worthy of some response and the intensions are
good. However this debate is begining to degenerate into polemics, half-truths,
and eco-propaganda. Indeed we should take this debate to sci.ecology where this
sort of wanton wishfull thinking is appreciated.

Bill

petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar22.200754.2554@welch.jhu.edu> jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) writes:
>Not whatever, please!  putting out those fires goes beyond any measure of
>income!!!!!!!!!  Everyday spent near any of the smoke is like being hookup
>to something alot worse then your car exhaust!!!  See how longs it takes
>for the cancer rate to rise.  There is also the oil spill.  From the news
>I've read in this group, I know your are ALL intelligent and creative.
>Let's pull together and help these limited companys that have been doing
> this sort of thing for years.
>Jim

Please take this conversation someplace else! This is supposed to be
sci.space.shuttle............P.J.

jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) (03/29/91)

In article <3368@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) writes:
>In article <1991Mar22.200754.2554@welch.jhu.edu> jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) writes:
>>Not whatever, please!  putting out those fires goes beyond any measure of
>>income!!!!!!!!!  Everyday spent near any of the smoke is like being hookup
>>to something alot worse then your car exhaust!!!  See how longs it takes
>>for the cancer rate to rise.  There is also the oil spill.  From the news
>>I've read in this group, I know your are ALL intelligent and creative.
>>Let's pull together and help these limited companys that have been doing
>> this sort of thing for years.
>>Jim
>
>Please take this conversation someplace else! This is supposed to be
>sci.space.shuttle............P.J.

It started out as an idea that included shuttle tiles and the fact intelligent
people read this group.  The conversation turned to other aspects of the
situation.  I would still like to hear any ideas about how to put the fires
out, but as I already asked, take it to sci.environment or e-mail!

Sorry if you are affended by what is, without a doubt, an environmental
hazard.

Jim