[sci.space.shuttle] U.S. Army skydiving team to jump onto KSC Monday, APRIL 1

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (04/04/91)

          Mitch Varnes                                   March 29, 1991
          407/867-2468

          KSC Release No. 38-91

          NOTE TO EDITORS/NEWS DIRECTORS

          U.S. ARMY SKYDIVING TEAM TO JUMP ONTO KSC MONDAY, APRIL 1

               Shortly after the Space Shuttle Discovery ends its  six-hour
          trek to Launch Pad 39-A on Monday,  April 1, seven of the world's
          best skydivers will bail out of an Army U-21    airplane  soaring
          some 7,000 feet over America's manned spaceport.

               The  Golden Knights,  the Army's premier demonstration team,
          will conduct one of several hundred such promotional performances
          they do around the country each year.   Jumping from the plane in
          unison,  the  seven  skydivers  intend  to  join hands and form a
          circle as they freefall at speeds up to 120 miles per  hour.    A
          staff  photographer  -- skydiving about 10 feet above the team --
          will then attempt to photograph the group with the Space  Shuttle
          centered within the human circle.

               After  freefalling for about one minute,  the Golden Knights
          -- all of whom are current or former national skydiving champions
          --  will  individually  pull   the   ripcords   releasing   their
          parachutes.   The skydivers will then steer themselves to a land-
          ing in a grassy field outside of the launch pad.

               The seven Golden Knights performing at KSC  are  group  com-
          mander Lt.  Col.  Kirk M.  Knight, Sgt. 1st Class Gary N. Mohler,
          Sgt. 1st Class James R. Nipper, Staff Sgt. Chuck E. Lackey,  Sgt.
          Randy M.  Kern, Sgt. Neal C. Beverly and Sgt. Charles W. Jackson.
          The photographer is Sgt. Kevin G. Breaux.

               The Golden Knights are one of three official  Department  of
          Defense  demonstration  teams.    The other two are the U.S.  Air
          Force's Thunderbirds and the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels.

               The performance is currently set for 11 a.m. on Monday,  but
          the  event is tied to the Shuttle's move to the launch pad.   In-
          terested news media should keep posted on rollout status.

          News Media wishing to  cover  the  Golden  Knights  demonstration
          should be at the KSC Press Site by 10:30 a.m.  for transportation
          to the launch pad.   A brief and informal question and answer op-
          portunity  with the Golden Knights may be available following the
          event.

               The KSC News Center may be contacted for additonal  informa-
          tion at 407/867-2468.

james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) (04/05/91)

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

>               Shortly after the Space Shuttle Discovery ends its  six-hour
>          trek to Launch Pad 39-A on Monday,  April 1, seven of the world's
>          best skydivers will bail out of an Army U-21    airplane  soaring
>          some 7,000 feet over America's manned spaceport.

>               After  freefalling for about one minute,  the Golden Knights
					     ^^^^^^^^^^
Will be deader than doornails.  Permissible freefall time from 7,000'
is about 35 seconds.  That takes you down to 2,000'.  Another 11-12
seconds takes you to an impact crater :-)

>          -- all of whom are current or former national skydiving champions
					 ^^^^^^
Most assuredly former if they pull a stunt like that :-)

No flames, just minor corrections.  A very interesting article; thanks
for posting it.

--
  James Gillespie,     /~~~~~~~~\   Every American citizen has a chance of
 Edinburgh University /   @  @   \  becoming president.  But that's just a

edotto@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Otto) (04/05/91)

>>          some 7,000 feet over America's manned spaceport.

>>               After  freefalling for about one minute,  the Golden Knights
>Will be deader than doornails.  Permissible freefall time from 7,000'
>is about 35 seconds.  That takes you down to 2,000'.  Another 11-12
>seconds takes you to an impact crater :-)

What are you complaining about?  35 seconds IS about one minute...

He's about as accurate as George "Read my lips, then open your wallet" Bush...

(This is not a flame on the original author, BTW - just a political diatribe.)

*                             *  Netmail addresses:                            *
*  Edward C. Otto III         *    edotto@uipsuxb.ps.uiuc.edu                  *
*  University of Illinois     *    edotto@uiucux1.cso.uiuc.edu                 *