[sci.space.shuttle] Gamma Rays

denisl@bwdlh149.BNR.CA (Denis Langlais) (04/06/91)

Does anyone know anything about the Gamma Ray Observatory?

Denis Langlais    Bitnet:  denisl@bnr.ca
BNR Ltd.          Phone: (613) 763-3686

lee@physics.ubc.ca (Henry Lee) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.174006.16983@bwdls61.bnr.ca> denisl@bwdlh149.BNR.CA (Denis Langlais) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about the Gamma Ray Observatory?
>

>Denis Langlais    Bitnet:  denisl@bnr.ca
>BNR Ltd.          Phone: (613) 763-3686

Denis,

I refer you to the new May issue of Sky & Telescope.
There is an article about the GRO (Gammy Ray Observatory).

Henry Lee  <lee@physics.ubc.ca>

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (04/08/91)

> Does anyone know anything about the Gamma Ray Observatory?

Yes. The current issue of Sky & Telescope has a nice write up on the
GRO. They article includes photos of the spacecraft, diagrams of the
instruments, descriptions of the data each is expected to provide, and
what researchers hope to learn from the mission. There's more still.

What's more, you should know that S & T does this sort of thing for
every (NASA) spacecraft that has any kind of astronomical mission. For
a recent example, they covered the ASTRO mission similarly. They gave
even more detailed coverage to the Hubble Space Telescope
(Kalideoscope?).