[sci.space.shuttle] briefings

larson@snmp.sri.com (Alan Larson) (04/09/91)

  While watching NASA select, I have noticed that the change of shift
briefings are often cancelled due to lack of press interest.  Sometimes
it is frustrating, since there are times when it would be nice to have
a review of what has happened, and some of the reasons for some of the
things, but probably in a little more techinical detail than the press
media would want.

  It would be nice if viewers could call in to the number given with
their questions to be presented at the briefing.  It would be even
nicer if it were an 800 number, and would help show that people do
actually watch NASA select during missions, and that there is interest.

	Alan

p.s. so, why did they manually deploy the antenna arm after it was
     freed, instead of continuing with the powered deploy?

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/12/91)

In article <23027@unix.SRI.COM> larson@snmp.sri.com (Alan Larson) writes:
> While watching NASA select, I have noticed that the change of shift
> briefings are often cancelled due to lack of press interest.  Sometimes
> it is frustrating, since there are times when it would be nice to have
> a review of what has happened, and some of the reasons for some of the
> things, but probably in a little more techinical detail than the press
> media would want.

There usually is a summary and replay of the days events in the evening
(9PM CST, I think).  If you have a stable NASA Select feed, you could
set up your VCR to tape it.  My cable system bounces NASA Select between
channels 32, 34, and 35, so I never know which channel to tape.

> It would be nice if viewers could call in to the number given with
> their questions to be presented at the briefing.  It would be even
> nicer if it were an 800 number, and would help show that people do
> actually watch NASA select during missions, and that there is interest.

I think that they do have a system like this for journalists.  At least
I recall announcements several years ago that qualified journalists could
call the press office at JSC with questions whenever they announced that
a breifing was cancelled.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john