[sci.space.shuttle] Definition of "APU"

Tom.Hocking@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Tom Hocking) (04/14/91)

According to my list of NASA Acronyms, APU stands for "Auxiliary Power
Unit."  However, the shuttle needs them to generate power any time the
orbiter is not attached to umbilicals.

--
Tom Hocking
Education Coordinator

	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

jonkatz@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jonathan W. Katz) (04/14/91)

In article <3331@beguine.UUCP> Tom.Hocking@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Tom Hocking) writes:

>According to my list of NASA Acronyms, APU stands for "Auxiliary Power
>Unit."  However, the shuttle needs them to generate power any time the
>orbiter is not attached to umbilicals.
>
>--

That's not quite true.  The APU's are needed during ascent and descent to
power the hydraulic systems.  The orbiter gets the majority of its electrical
power from three fuel cells that convert hydrogen and oxygen to
electricity and water.

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (04/15/91)

In article <3331@beguine.UUCP>, Tom.Hocking@bbs (Tom Hocking) writes:

>According to my list of NASA Acronyms, APU stands for "Auxiliary Power
>Unit."  However, the shuttle needs them to generate power any time the
>orbiter is not attached to umbilicals.

The shuttle uses fuel cells to generate its electrical power.  During launch
and landing, it needs auxillary power to move its aerodynamic control surfaces
and gimbal its main engines.  The three APUs provide this power.  They are
turned on 5 minutes before launch, turned off about 12-1/2 minutes after
launch, turned back on about 3 minutes before the deorbit burn (approximately 1
hour before landing) and turned back off again 2 minutes after landing.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {uunet,harvard,world}!ksr!clj

edotto@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Otto) (04/15/91)

Tom.Hocking@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Tom Hocking) writes:

>According to my list of NASA Acronyms, APU stands for "Auxiliary Power
>Unit."  However, the shuttle needs them to generate power any time the
>orbiter is not attached to umbilicals.

The APU, or Auxilary Power Unit, does NOT provide 'power'...it provides
hydraulic pressure to move the elevons and gimbal the engines, etc.

The electricity on-board the shuttle is provided by means of several
fuel cells located under the mid-deck.

*                             *  Netmail addresses:                           *
*  Edward C. Otto III         *    edotto@uipsuxb.ps.uiuc.edu                 *
*  University of Illinois     *    edotto@uiucux1.cso.uiuc.edu                *
*  Printing Services Office   *    UIPSA::OTTO (Decnet node 46.99)            *
*  54A E. Gregory Dr.         *    otto@uipsa.dnet.nasa.gov                   *
*  Champaign, IL  61820       *  Office phone: 217/333-9422                   *

	"As knowledge is to ignorance, so is light unto the darkness."

		       ---     GO 'PODS!     ---