[sci.space.shuttle] Space Shuttle Enterprise

noe@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Roger Noe) (04/24/91)

Follow-ups directed to sci.space.shuttle.

In article <1648@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> jarrell@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Ron Jarrell) writes:
>Huntsville has the Pathfinder on display.  My friends at Marshall tell
>me that it was an orbiter body built for vibration tests prior to
>the drop tests, as such it's an orbiter, but not built to fly.
>(Pathfinder's existence might explain why there's a number missing in
>the OV series... It's usually the one left out of lists.)

Can someone confirm this?  Is OV-100 Pathfinder?  One of the lists Ron Jarrell
refers to would look like the following:
	OV-099 Challenger
	OV-101 Enterprise
	OV-102 Columbia
	OV-103 Discovery
	OV-104 Atlantis
	OV-105 Endeavour
I assume they actually started the numbering scheme at 101, with what were to
be the operational OV bodies, and then backtracked when Challenger was turned
into an operational OV.  Does anyone know differently?
--
Roger Noe                            roger-noe@uiuc.edu
Department of Computer Science       noe@cs.uiuc.edu

pjs1@waikato.ac.nz (04/25/91)

In article <2814A667.538E@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu>, noe@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Roger Noe)
 writes:

> Can someone confirm this?  Is OV-100 Pathfinder?  One of the lists Ron Jarrell
> refers to would look like the following:
> 	OV-099 Challenger
> 	OV-101 Enterprise
> 	OV-102 Columbia
> 	OV-103 Discovery
> 	OV-104 Atlantis
> 	OV-105 Endeavour
> I assume they actually started the numbering scheme at 101, with what were to
> be the operational OV bodies, and then backtracked when Challenger was turned
> into an operational OV.  Does anyone know differently?

	I have always assumed that Challenger was OV-101 and have never heard
of the Enterprise. As it never flew would I be correct in thinking that
something was wrong with it's body and hence it's inards were used to make the
challenger?

	On a similar subject, we (New Zealand) are about to see THE CHALLENGER
(the movie), is it any good and how accurate/factual is it.

dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.140350.3543@waikato.ac.nz>, pjs1@waikato.ac.nz writes:

|> 	I have always assumed that Challenger was OV-101 and have never heard
|> of the Enterprise. As it never flew would I be correct in thinking that
|> something was wrong with it's body and hence it's inards were used to make the
|> challenger?

To the best of my knowledge, Enterprise was the first full-scale flight
quality orbiter constructed.  Among other things, it was used for vibration
testing.  Since these tests subjected it to serious overloads, it is forever
prohibited from flight.  It is now property of the Smithsonian Air & Space
Museum.

--
Brad Mears
dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov

Opinions are expressly forbidden.  | "It is better to die on your feet
I speak for myself and no other.   |  than live on your knees"

In article <1991Apr25.195733.11534@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>, dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) writes:

|> To the best of my knowledge, Enterprise was the first full-scale flight
|> quality orbiter constructed.  Among other things, it was used for vibration
|> testing.  Since these tests subjected it to serious overloads, it is forever
|> prohibited from flight.  It is now property of the Smithsonian Air & Space
|> Museum.

Please allow me to humbly wipe the egg from my face.  I am informed by someone
that should know, that I was wrong.  The corrected history is like this -

OV-099 : Challenger
OV-100 : Pathfinder
OV-101 : Enterprise

OV-099 was the first vehicle to ENTER the assembly line.  This does not mean it
was the first one to get rolled-out.  The first one out was Pathfinder.  The
second was Enterprise, and the third was Challenger.

Pathfinder (OV-100) was used for the Mated Vertical Ground Vibration Test (MVGVT).
This was the "vibration testing" to which I referred.
Enterprise (OV-101) was used for the Approach and Landing Test (ALT).  The ALT
involved mating Enterprise to the SCA and then releasing it during flight.  This
allowed NASA to test the landing procedures.  The reason Enterprise is barred
from flight is NOT that it experienced "overloads".  Rather, it was never
qualified for space-flight (as opposed to air-flight).  Its only purpose in life
was ALT.

--

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/26/91)

In <1991Apr25.140350.3543@waikato.ac.nz> pjs1@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>In <2814A667.538E@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu>, noe@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> > Can someone confirm this?  Is OV-100 Pathfinder?
> > OV-099 Challenger
> > OV-101 Enterprise

> I have always assumed that Challenger was OV-101 and have never heard
> of the Enterprise. As it never flew would I be correct in thinking that
> something was wrong with it's body and hence it's inards were used to make
> the challenger?

Enterprise was supposed to be a flying bird.  After the drop tests, it
was decided that Enterprise was overwieght and it would take too much
work to refit it for flight.  Columbia then became the first shuttle to
be flight ready since it was next in line.  Challenger actually started
life as a test frame.  It was decided to refit it for flight when they
decided not to refit Enterprise.  Challenger retained the OV number
of the test frame, OV-99.

I don't know if Pathfinder was ever officially issued an OV number.
All of my books are in storage, so I cannot look it up 8-(.

> On a similar subject, we (New Zealand) are about to see THE CHALLENGER
> (the movie), is it any good and how accurate/factual is it.

It received good new.reviews because of all of the shuttle processing
footage.  The story was a bit hokey, but everyone seemed to like the scene
were the engineers were trying to stop the flight.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

noe@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu (Roger Noe) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.140350.3543@waikato.ac.nz> pjs1@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>	I have always assumed that Challenger was OV-101 and have never heard
>of the Enterprise. As it never flew would I be correct in thinking that
>something was wrong with it's body and hence it's inards were used to make the
>challenger?

Never flew?  Enterprise was the first orbiter vehicle to fly.  It was also
the first one to roll out from Rockwell International's Palmdale facility
and be delivered to NASA.  (This was something like January, 1977.)  During
the summer of 1977, Enterprise was mated to the fuselage of a modified
Boeing 747 and taken on captive flights for testing.  On 12 August 1977,
Enterprise flew free from an altitude of 22,800 feet and landed on the
desert bed at Edwards Air Force Base.  It made four more such flights
in what were called collectively the approach and landing tests (ALT).

According to official NASA statements at the rollout, Enterprise was to become
an operational orbiter vehicle after completing these early tests.  NASA
later discovered that it would be able to refurbish to flight readiness
either Enterprise or the orbiter which came to be called Challenger, pri-
marily for fiscal reasons.  Deciding it would be more advantageous (cheaper,
faster, whatever) to make Challenger the operational vehicle, they did so
and left Enterprise to be forever earthbound.  Unquestionably some of
Enterprise's "innards" were used in Challenger - NASA is quite adept at
"cannibalizing" their shuttle fleet in a continuing juggling act.  I've
even heard the joke told that NASA plans to reduce its actual astronaut
corps to only 5 or 10 complete astronauts, and move around their internal
organs and such from one human body to another.  To do this, they need
brainless, spineless bodies in which they can place the nervous systems
of trained astronauts.  Why do you think they've been taking members of
the U.S. Senate and Congress up there?  (I've heard this joke told because
I'm the one who tells it.  I first told it in a widely ignored April Fool
posting to Usenet some years ago.)
--

fdg@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Frank P. DiGiuseppe) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.203708.20989@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>, dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) writes:
> Pathfinder (OV-100) was used for the Mated Vertical Ground Vibration Test (MVGVT).
> This was the "vibration testing" to which I referred.

So where is Pathfinder now?

--
Frank P. DiGiuseppe	McGill Research Centre for Intelligent Machines
fdg@mcrcim.mcgill.edu	Dept. EE, McGill University, Montreal, PQ H3A 3A7

hychejw@infonode.ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) (04/26/91)

fdg@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Frank P. DiGiuseppe) writes:

>So where is Pathfinder now?

	I drive by Pathfinder every day.  Its at the Marshal Space
Flight Center in Huntsville Al.  It on display mounted to a complete
launch system of SRB and  exturnal tank.  Right next to it is the mockup
of the Saturn V.
--
                                  // Jeff Hyche
    There can be only one!    \\ //  Usenet: hychejw@infonode.ingr.com

jms20@po.CWRU.Edu (John M. Sully) (04/26/91)

In a previous article, fdg@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Frank P. DiGiuseppe) says:

>So where is Pathfinder now?

Pahtfinder now resides at the US Space Camp as part of their Rocket Park.
She's been mated to an ET, and 2 older SRBs, and is part of the
only full scale Shuttle stack on display (I think...please correct me
if this is wrong.)

Have a day...

John
--
| John M. Sully                    | "Why do I get the idea that |
| jms20@po.cwru.edu                |  someday I'll be describing |

jms20@po.CWRU.Edu (John M. Sully) (04/26/91)

>Enterprise was supposed to be a flying bird.  After the drop tests, it
>was decided that Enterprise was overwieght and it would take too much
>work to refit it for flight.  Columbia then became the first shuttle to
>be flight ready since it was next in line.  Challenger actually started
>life as a test frame.  It was decided to refit it for flight when they
>decided not to refit Enterprise.  Challenger retained the OV number
>of the test frame, OV-99.

This may be unture, but I heard a few years ago that during the last
drop test, Enterprise was set down rather hard and developed a bend
in the airframe, rendering in unflyable.

Have a day...

John