[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Status for 04/19/91

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (04/22/91)

          KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - FRIDAY, APR. 19, 1991 - 10 a.m.

                     STS-39/DoD - DISCOVERY (OV 103) - PAD 39-A
                                  LAUNCH - APRIL 23

          WORK IN PROGRESS:
          - Launch countdown preparations.
          - Removal of service  platforms  from  the  deck  of  the  mobile
          launcher platform (MLP).
          - Removing handrails from the launch platform.
          - Preparing the MLP hazardous gas detection system for launch.
          -  Removal  of protective covers from the orbiter's reaction con-
          trol system thrusters.
          - Removing platforms from the crew cabin.
          - Payload servicing operations.

          WORK COMPLETED:
          - Pressurization of the hypergolic propellant system for flight.
          - Purging of the power reactant storage and  distribution  system
          for flight.
          -  Check  of  a  purge duct clamp in the aft compartment.  Aft is
          closed out for flight

          WORK SCHEDULED:
          - Final payload preparations.
          - Launch countdown begins at 8:45 a.m. EDT Saturday, April 20.
          - Closing the payload bay doors for flight Sunday.
          - STS-39 flight crew arrival at 6:30 p.m. EDT Saturday.
          - Launch at 7:05 a.m. EDT Tuesday, April 23.

           STS-40/SPACELAB LIFE SCIENCES 1 - COLUMBIA (OV 102) - OPF BAY 1
                                    LAUNCH - MAY

          WORK IN PROGRESS:
          - Thermal protection system operations.
          - Closing the aft compartment for transfer to the VAB.
          - Cleaning the payload bay.
          - Close the payload bay doors.
          - Leak checks of the crew cabin.

          WORK SCHEDULED:
          - Leak tests of the Spacelab payload this weekend.
          - Tow to the Vehicle Assembly Building targeted for April 24.

                       STS-43 - ATLANTIS (OV 104) - OPF BAY 2

          WORK IN PROGRESS:
          - Jacking and leveling the orbiter in the processing facility.
          - Gaining access to the vehicle.
          - Preparing to power up the orbiter.
          - Removal of ferry kit items.

          WORK COMPLETED:
          - Demated from the 747 just before midnight.
          - Tow to the OPF started at about 5 a.m. this morning.

          WORK SCHEDULED:
          - Opening the payload bay doors this weekend.
          - Removal of the tail cone on Monday.

                         STS-40 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB

          WORK IN PROGRESS:
          - Routing cables between the tank and boosters and  launch  plat-
          form.
          - Closing out the solid rocket booster field joints for flight.

          WORK SCHEDULED:
          - Mating the Shuttle Columbia to the external tank next week.

jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr22.014200.4520@news.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

>          KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - FRIDAY, APR. 19, 1991 - 10 a.m.
>

>                         STS-40 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB
>

>          WORK IN PROGRESS:
>          - Routing cables between the tank and boosters and  launch  plat-
>          form.
>          - Closing out the solid rocket booster field joints for flight.
>
>          WORK SCHEDULED:
>          - Mating the Shuttle Columbia to the external tank next week.

I know I don't keep up with this group as much as I should, but when was
the go-ahead given to launch the shuttle from Vandenburg? Must have been
over a year ago given the amount of work necessary to get SLC-6 ready.

Will this launch be open to the public, or do we just hang around in Lompoc
and wait for a BIG NOISE  :-)

- Jack

||Jack Hagerty, Robotic Midwives, Ltd.        jack@rml.UUCP (smart mailers)||
||Livermore, CA		       ...!uunet!lll-winken!rml!jack (dumb mailers)||
||(415) 455-1143	   jack%rml@lll-winken.llnl.gov (desperate mailers)||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|| "The Biblical God is a sloppy manufacturer. He's not good at design,    ||
||  He's not good at execution. He'd be out of business if there was       ||
||  any competition." - Carl Sagan, _Contact_                              ||

pstinson@pbs.org (04/23/91)

In article <267@rml.UUCP>, jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) writes:
> In article <1991Apr22.014200.4520@news.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>>
>>          KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - FRIDAY, APR. 19, 1991 - 10 a.m.
>>

>>                         STS-40 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB
>

> I know I don't keep up with this group as much as I should, but when was
> the go-ahead given to launch the shuttle from Vandenburg?

In this case VAB stands for Vehicle Assembly Building and it is located at the
Cape (in Florida).  It was originally used for Saturn V's and is large enough
to hold several moonrockets in the verticle position.

In article <267@rml.UUCP> jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) writes:
>I know I don't keep up with this group as much as I should, but when was
>the go-ahead given to launch the shuttle from Vandenburg?

VAB is Vehicle Assembly Building, at the Cape.  Vandenberg is VAFB.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.114242.12469@pbs.org> pstinson@pbs.org writes:

>In this case VAB stands for Vehicle Assembly Building and it is located at the
>Cape (in Florida).  It was originally used for Saturn V's and is large enough
>to hold several moonrockets in the verticle position.

Which is why it was named the Vertical Assembly Building.

Peter Jarvis..........

oliver@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (04/26/91)

In article <3380@phred.UUCP>, petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) writes:
> In article <1991Apr23.114242.12469@pbs.org> pstinson@pbs.org writes:
>>
>>In this case VAB stands for Vehicle Assembly Building and it is located at the
>>Cape (in Florida).  It was originally used for Saturn V's and is large enough
>>to hold several moonrockets in the verticle position.
>
> Which is why it was named the Vertical Assembly Building.
>
> Peter Jarvis..........

Just a few nits.  First the VAB is on the NASA Kennedy Space Center which is on
Merrit Island.  Second, NASA Reference Publication 1059 Revised lists VAB as
the Vehicle Assembly Building.  There is a VIB which is the Vertical Integration
Building used for stacking Titans and it is located on Cape Canaveral Air Force
Station.
--

Pat Oliver -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3323

In article <3380@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) writes:
>>In this case VAB stands for Vehicle Assembly Building ...
>... it was named the Vertical Assembly Building.

It was, however, renamed the Vehicle Assembly Building early in Project
Apollo.
--

petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr25.161031.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> oliver@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:

>First the VAB is on the NASA Kennedy Space Center which is on
>Merrit Island.  Second, NASA Reference Publication 1059 Revised lists VAB as
>the Vehicle Assembly Building.  There is a VIB which is the Vertical Integration
>Building used for stacking Titans and it is located on Cape Canaveral Air Force
>Station.
>Pat Oliver -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC

It may list it that way now, but its original name was
Vertical Assembly Building when they used to stack Saturn V's there.

Peter Jarvis......Physio-Control, Redmond, Washington