[net.music] The Music of Ethiopia, Peter Gabriel, OPtion

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (09/26/85)

> From: gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP

> The pipes that end Peter Gabriel's "San Jacinto" are digital samples
> of an Ethiopian instrument played by someone who is be dead due to
> starvation or political involvement.

This is not actually true....  The music at the end of "San Jacinto" is
made from a Fairlight sample of Peter Gabriel blowing through a pipe in
a junk yard.

On the other hand, the music at the beginning of "The Family and The
Fishing Net" is taken nearly verbatum from some Ethiopian folk music.

> Sorry if it's too general (there is no mention of Kate Bush
> anywhere...not even Bushmen), etc.

It's not consider polite to call them "Bushmen".  "!Kung" is the proper
term.

			"And the talk goes on"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

P.S.  I'm going to cancel my subscription to OPtion if they don't write
anyting about Kate Bush soon!  (Actually not, because any magazine that
writes about Birdsongs of the Mesozoic can't be all that bad.)  Not even
a peep about KB in the whole "B" issue!  But Peter Gabriel shows up
every now and then -- you'd think OPtion could at least say something
about his transcendent desciple....

gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (09/26/85)

Doug is absolutely right on the Gabriel sampled stuff being on
"Das Fischernet" rather than "San Jacinto". Sorry to all you
sticklers out there. I'm also sorry you missed the lousy attempt
at punditry and KB. Perhaps if I'd said that her fans were all
into !Kung fu.......

Greg

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/26/85)

In article <5385@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>P.S.  I'm going to cancel my subscription to OPtion if they don't write
>anything about Kate Bush soon!

Good idea!  I've already canceled my subscriptions to Architectural Digest,
Datamation, and Bon Appetit due to their lack of Kingsmen coverage!

Do you realize, BTW, that it's been nearly *eight years* now since Scientific
American last mentioned the Sex Pistols (Dr. Matrix, 12/77)?

AWR