[sci.space.shuttle] Re : Vehicle pass & Vehicl Info

gandalf@pro-electric.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (05/01/91)

Greetings and Salutations:

From: dalerp@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Robert P. Dale)
>In the Surface Airway Observations (SAO) for the Shuttle Landing
>Facility (X68) they put wind data for NTH,CNTR,STH in the remarks
>section during launch time.  Can anyone tell me what sites those
>are and if any one is the shuttle launch pad?

There are two meteorological pads located at each end of the SLF (Shuttle
Landing Facility).  The SLF is located approximately 5 miles plus from the
launch pad.  I would assume that these are the stations that are referred
to as NTH (North) and STH (South) since the SLF is aligned 330 degrees /
150 degrees.  There is probably a central wind data station there also.

From: scott@ubvax.UB.Com (Scott Scheiman)
Subject: Please respond: another request re. viewing launch
>What's the advice for viewing?  Where/when should I go?  Who can
 >I ask about this?  Do I need to make reservations?

The next launch is sometime in May.  You may write to the following address
for a launch pass:

NASA Vehicle Pass
PA - Pass
Kennedy Space Center, FL
                       32899

In general, if you know the launch that you wish, ask for that launch.  If
you
know a general time frame, then ask for that time frame.

From: pjs1@waikato.ac.nz
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle Enterprise

>I have always assumed that Challenger was OV-101 and have never heard
>of the Enterprise. As it never flew would I be correct in thinking that
>something was wrong with it's body and hence it's inards were used to make
the
>challenger?

Enterprise was always (from what I have heard) been meant to only be a test
article, never meant to fly.  Challenger (OV-99) was originally a
structural test article and then was deemed useable and turned into a real
vehicle.

>On a similar subject, we (New Zealand) are about to see THE CHALLENGER
>(the movie), is it any good and how accurate/factual is it.

If this is the same "THE CHALLENGER" (The movie) that was made here in the
U.S., it is full of wonderful emotional mush, but technically it is VERY
soft, and mostly inaccurate.

From: vec@acadia.Kodak.COM (Vance Cochrane)
Subject: Shuttle Statistics

>max gross @ takeoff
>max landing weight
>max payload
>basic empty weight
>length
>wingspan
>height

>stall speeds
Stall Speeds? When? How? A-O-A?  The Shuttle is a lifting body.

               Overall Shuttle        Orbiter
Length          184.2 feet             122.17 feet
Height           76.6 feet              56.67 feet
Wingspan                                78.06 feet
Cargo Bay Length                         60 Feet
          Diameter                       15 Feet
Approximate Weight
Gross liftoff     4.5 Million Pounds
(Payload Dependant)
SRB Thrust (Ea.)  2.9 Million Lbs Of Thrust
SRB Weight (Ea.)  1.1 Million Lbs.
   Without Propellant 192,000 Lbs
External Tank Loaded 1.655 Million Lbs
                  Dry   66,000 Lbs.

Main Engines                    393,800 LBS Thrust 104% @ Sea Level
                                490,000 LBS Thrust 104% @ Vacuum

With Three Engines and the vehicle dry (No Hypergols, Ammonia, water, H2 or
O2, etc.)  OV-102 178,289 Lbs, OV-103 171,419 Lbs & OV-104 171,205 Lbs.

Touchdown Speed  211 To 226 Miles Per Hour
At KSC, Max Payload of 55,000 Lbs, 110 Nautical Mile Orbit for a 28.5
degree launch.  Max payload of 41,000 Lbs for a 57 degree inclination.  For
OV-102 launches, weight must be decreased by 8,400 Lbs.
Max Landing Weight Of 240,000 Lbs. For Abort, 230,000 Lbs. For Nominal
Landings.

Ken Hollis

Contact Ken Hollis through these paths:
     ProLine:  gandalf@pro-electric