[sci.space.shuttle] NASA Select

WYLBB@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Michael Linn) (08/16/88)

I've heard a lot of mention about "NASA Select", which is presumably
some sort of cable TV channel.

How can one get access to it?
Is it available nationwide or only in certain regions?
Is there a fee to subscribe to it?

Would someone please fill me in on the details?

                                                  Thanks.

tif@cpe.UUCP (09/02/88)

Written 11:19 am  Aug 16, 1988 by cunyvm.bitnet!wylbb in cpe:sci.space.shuttle
>/* ---------- "NASA Select" ---------- */
>I've heard a lot of mention about "NASA Select", which is presumably
>some sort of cable TV channel.
>
>How can one get access to it?

In Fort Worth, Sammons Cable includes NASA Select on channel 50 (in
something called "Tier III" if you're interested).

I recently saw someone mention "NASA Select Radio".  I had never heard
of that.  Now can someone tell me how to get that?

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{convex,killer}!ninja!cpe!tif

M.W.Hey@newcastle.ac.uk (William Hey) (04/30/91)

Greetings,

Would anyone able to recieve NASA Select care to describe the events they
witness; anecdotes, quotes, etc?  The UK media are completely duff in this
respect, the most we can expect to here is "The shuttle was lauched today"
sandwiched between the dead-donkey and the theme tune.

Any information would be appreciated, especially regarding the current
STS-39 mission.

Cheers,

Bill

-----------------------+-----------------------------+
|    William Hey          M.W.Hey@newcastle.uk.ac    |
|    Astrophysics : Newcastle University, England.   |
-----------------------+-----------------------------+

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/03/91)

In <1991Apr30.151421.3863@newcastle.ac.uk> M.W.Hey@newcastle.ac.uk writes:
> Would anyone able to recieve NASA Select care to describe the events they
> witness; anecdotes, quotes, etc?

NASA Select is 24 hrs a day during shuttle missions.  Many cable systems
carry all or part of NASA Select, and it is available to people with
home dishes.

The events center around a display of a map with the orbits, a globe type
display showing the orbit, a view of something from space, a view of mission
control, or a veiw of the control center running whatever experiment is being
worked at the moment.  The capcom to orbitor voice link is always on, so you
can hear the astronauts no matter what is going on in the back ground.

There are also special events during broadcast as they happen.  There
are usually 2 or 3 change of shift press breifings, although these tend
to be cancelled if nothing fun is going on.  A review of the highlights
of the day are run during prime time.  On launch day, this consists of
replays of every concievable launch angle and shots using telescopic
tracking cameras.

Some space events are carried live.  The EVAs were covered quite well,
the NASA select views saw just as much as the contollers.  There are
cameras in the payload bay to watch sattelite launches.  Some of the
tricky stuff is recorded on a VTR in the Shuttle and down-linked after
the event is over, you don't get to watch everything in real-time.

My favorite part of NASA select is the occasional "tour" offered by
the crew using a portable camera.  I also enjoy it when they turn a
camera on for Earth-watching.  It's fun to try to correlate things on the
ground with a map.

As far an anecdotes, I'm sure that I don't catch all of the jokes.  I
also usually do not get the jokes behind the selection of wake up music.
I usually try to note the earliest mention of problems witht the TAGS
(text and graphics system--the space FAX machine).  This time it took
only 4 hours for the TAGS system to jam up the first time.  On mission,
the TAGS became hopelessly jammed up.  They worked on it for a few hours,
then gave up.  Later on, one of the crew radioed down that they would
volunteer to stay in space for an extra day to try to get the TAGS fixed.
Mission control replied that they could possibly work in an EVA to help
get fix the TAGS.

> The UK media are completely duff in this
> respect, the most we can expect to here is "The shuttle was lauched today"
> sandwiched between the dead-donkey and the theme tune.

Do you have access to CNN?  Captain Ted (Turner) likes the shuttle quite
a bit.  They frequently carry long reports on the daily shuttle activities.
Today, for example, they ran film of the gas canisters being ejected from
Discovery for the gas discharge experiment.  They spent about a minute
showing film from space.  After this, they ran a story about the roll out
of Columbia and the SpaceLab mission.

> Any information would be appreciated, especially regarding the current
> STS-39 mission.

STS-39 is especially fun to watch on NASA Select because they always have
one team working while the other team sleeps (red & blue teams).  Also,
there is a lot of activities--a sattelite launch and retreival, manuvers,
engine firings, a telescope, and a few bugs to keep things exciting.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john