[sci.space.shuttle] NASA Select coverage questions

lmm@cci632.cci.com (Lance Michel) (04/30/91)

There are a few NASA Select Coverage questions I just have to ask...
I'm interested in finding out about the people behind the scenes in
Houston.  Does anybody know them?  Who they are?  What their training or
background is?
Specifically:
1.    I recently heard that many CAPCOMs get mission assignments.  How about
the current CAPCOMs?  I think one is named Kathy?

2.     Speaking of Kathy, I seem to remember that she was 'in a motherly way'
last fall.  What did she have?  Does she know she has CAPCOM fans...

3.     What's the guy (in the lower left of the room) with three Sun
Workstations to himself doing?

4.     Is F2/T5 scrambled?  It looks like there is a 'MET' schedule, but I can't seem to sync it up.

5.     Why is this DOD mission so public?  Usually it's blacked out.

Thanks

|   "Storms have come, rains wash the Earth away.        |  Lance Michel    |
|    Dark skys fall now, into another day."              |  lmm@cci632.UUCP |
|________________________________________________enya____|__________________|
          (Song stuck in my head at the moment)

dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.194149.6749@cci632.cci.com>, lmm@cci632.cci.com (Lance Michel) writes:

|> 1.    I recently heard that many CAPCOMs get mission assignments.  How about
|> the current CAPCOMs?  I think one is named Kathy?

Historically, CAPCOMs have always been members of the astronaut corps.  Being
a CAPCOM is simply another assignment you get when you aren't training for
your own mission.  You may be thinking of Kathy Thornton.  I read that
Kathy got assigned to her first mission.  I'm not sure if it has flown yet.

|> 2.     Speaking of Kathy, I seem to remember that she was 'in a motherly way'
|> last fall.  What did she have?  Does she know she has CAPCOM fans...

Kathy gave birth to Laura "Thunder" Thornton sometime in 88-89.  Could this be
the time-frame you're thinking of?  I haven't worked with/around/near her since
'89, so she might have been expecting again.  Laura got her nickname due to the
vast amount of pre-delivery time she spent in the simulators.  There was a
running joke that she (Laura) had more simulator time than most of the "grown-up"
astronauts.

--
Brad Mears
dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov

Opinions are expressly forbidden.  | "It is better to die on your feet
I speak for myself and no other.   |  than live on your knees"

isg7243@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (GEERTS, IS) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.194149.6749@cci632.cci.com>, lmm@cci632.cci.com (Lance Michel) writes...

>There are a few NASA Select Coverage questions I just have to ask...
>5.     Why is this DOD mission so public?  Usually it's blacked out.

They said it was because it's much cheaper this way. (I think it was
the official DOD representative who said it.)

>Thanks
No problem. After all, I could be wrong. ;)

>|   "Storms have come, rains wash the Earth away.        |  Lance Michel    |
>|    Dark skys fall now, into another day."              |  lmm@cci632.UUCP |
>|________________________________________________enya____|__________________|
>          (Song stuck in my head at the moment)

            -Indra

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.171044.27329@isc.rit.edu> isg7243@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.194149.6749@cci632.cci.com>, lmm@cci632.cci.com (Lance Michel) writes...
>>

>>There are a few NASA Select Coverage questions I just have to ask...
>>5.     Why is this DOD mission so public?  Usually it's blacked out.

So that shortwave listeners could follow the mission.  :}

I had fun listening to Discovery last night on 7.185MHz (LSB), at least
the retransmit on that frequency from Washington.

Most of the time was spent copying readings from various systems/
experiments/??, but my kids thought it was great.  (So did I.)

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

mjb@netcom.COM (Martin Brown) (05/03/91)

In article <12652@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:

>I had fun listening to Discovery last night on 7.185MHz (LSB), at least
>the retransmit on that frequency from Washington.

What about us interested potential listeners here is So. Cal., the home of JPL!

Are the shuttle communications being retransmitted on some freq. here?

From Mt. Wilson?

Thanx for any info!

                                 - mjb -

                              mjb@netcom.com