[sci.space.shuttle] Times for Endeavour at Ellington Field May 2-3?

pittman@mwk.uucp (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.205016.10826@news.arc.nasa.gov>, yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>                         ENDEAVOUR (OV 105) - PALMDALE, CALIF.
>
>                Endeavour is being prepared for delivery to KSC  this  week.
>           Today,  worker  are conducting a practice run of mating Endeavour
>           to the 747 using the new  Orbiter  Lifting  Frame.  Endeavour  is
>           scheduled  to  be  mated  to the agency's new 747 Shuttle Carrier
>           Aircraft tomorrow.
>
>                The first leg  of  the  cross  country  ferry  flight,  from
>           California  to  Texas,  is  scheduled for May 2.  A refueling and
>           overnight stop is planned at Ellington Field in  Houston,  Texas.
>           The journey,  from Texas to Florida,  will continue the next day.
>           The estimated time of arrival at KSC is midday.

  Can anyone tell me the scheduled arrival and departure times for Endeavour
at Ellington Field?  Will there be any opportunity for the public to view
the orbiter on the ground?

--- Darrell Pittman        pittman@mwk.uucp               ---
--- M. W. Kellogg Co.      pittman%mwk@lobster.hou.tx.us  ---
--- Houston, TX            (713) 753-4410                 ---

ollie@hydra.unm.edu (Ollie Eisman N6LTJ) (05/03/91)

What is the maximum range for the 747 with shuttle?  I've often
wondered why they stop in TX while going from Calif. to Florida.
Does the 747 gobble that much fuel when flying with a shuttle on
its back?  Is it the extra drag that's to blame?

Curious..

--
Ollie Eisman (N6LTJ)	ollie@hydra.unm.edu	(505)277-4845
3505 Lafayette Rd. NE #3, Albuquerque, New Mexico  87131, USA

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (05/04/91)

In article <345.281e8d51@mwk.uucp>, pittman@mwk.uucp writes:
>   Can anyone tell me the scheduled arrival and departure times for Endeavour
> at Ellington Field?  Will there be any opportunity for the public to view
> the orbiter on the ground?

According to N-TV this morning, Endeavour will overnight at Biggs Army
Air Field in El Paso.  Apparently it has something to do with the
weather in the East.
--
Perry G. Ramsey         Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu  Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN USA