[sci.space.shuttle] Pathfinder

petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) (05/07/91)

Just to let everyone know that the Pathfinder can be found at the Space and
Rocket Center (home of Space Camp/Academy), Huntsville, Alabama. The Saturn V
also there, is on its side and segmented so you can see more of it and is
about 500 feet from Pathfinder. The Saturn V is a full article, not a mockup.
Marshall Space Flight Center is about 5 miles away and the tour is impressive.

Peter Jarvis............

wdh@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (W. David Higgins) (05/07/91)

In article <3394@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis) writes:
>Just to let everyone know that the Pathfinder can be found at the Space and
>Rocket Center (home of Space Camp/Academy), Huntsville, Alabama. The Saturn V
>also there, is on its side and segmented so you can see more of it and is
>about 500 feet from Pathfinder. The Saturn V is a full article, not a mockup.

	I haven't been to the Alabama Space Center in a couple of years,
but one interesting thing to note is the 1st->2nd and 2nd->3rd interstage
cowlings are (were?) used as buildings!.  I remember walking into the conical
2nd to 3rd stage assembly which was being used as a pre-show staging
area and thinking to myself "Jeeze, look at the quality of the construction
of this tin building", doing a double take, and realizing just what I
was standing in.  The museum also has one of the nicest OmniMax theatres
I've ever seen.  All in all, a nice place to visit.  Recommended.
--
--  W. David Higgins                   wdhiggins@hrshcx.mkt.csd.harris.com
--  Harris Computer Systems,  Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33309       305-973-5351