[sci.space.shuttle] Barbara Boxer

brody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Adam R. Brody) (05/10/91)

Anybody know Barbara Boxer's views on space?  I just got a
solicitation for some campaign funds and was wondering if
she was worthy of any.

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (05/10/91)

In article <8119@eos.arc.nasa.gov> brody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Adam R. Brody) writes:
>Anybody know Barbara Boxer's views on space?

Give her a call and ask her (202-225-5161). That way you can ask about issues
you care about and get specific answers. Somebody there would be happy to
talk to you.

If you like what you hear, drop a note in with your check and tell her.
If you don't like what you hear, drop a note in without your check and tell
her. Get your friends to do the same.

  Allen

|Allen W. Sherzer |        Allen's tactics are too tricky to deal with      |
|   aws@iti.org   |             -- Harel Barzilai                           |

dave@fps.com (Dave Smith) (05/11/91)

In article <8119@eos.arc.nasa.gov> brody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Adam R. Brody) writes:
>Anybody know Barbara Boxer's views on space?  I just got a
>solicitation for some campaign funds and was wondering if
>she was worthy of any.

I saw Boxer on C-Span the other day in a subcomittee meeting on the Space
Station.  She was asking Richard Truly some very pointed questions about the
financing he was requesting for the station.  I don't know if I could call
her pro-space but she did seem to be actively interested in making NASA
ask for the appropriate budget for the committments it has made.  Whether
this was because she was interested in seeing a working space station or
because she liked to needle NASA I couldn't be sure.

Watching C-Span is a bit of an exercise in futility, though, because one
longs to holler at these bone-heads in Congress and go beat them over the
heads with a big stick until they start asking the _right_ questions.
The sub-comittee meeting on the B-2 that was on that day made me want to
puke.  "So General X, in your opinion, if we don't have the B-2 then truth,
justice and the American Way will be imperiled?"

--
David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego        ucsd!celit!dave or dave@fps.com

cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (05/12/91)

In article <8119@eos.arc.nasa.gov> brody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Adam R. Brody) writes:
>Anybody know Barbara Boxer's views on space?  I just got a
>solicitation for some campaign funds and was wondering if
>she was worthy of any.

I looked Boxer up in _The Space Activist's Handbook, 1990 Edition_.  The
Handbook rates House members based on 17 key votes.  Boxer has participated
in 6 of these.  Her score: 20%, i.e. 20% of the time she voted pro-space by
Spacepac (the Handbook publisher) standards.  She is a member of the House
Space Caucus.

--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute