[sci.space.shuttle] New U.S. Space Shuttle Endeavour to rollout

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (04/26/91)

Mark Hess
Headquarters, Washington, D.C.                                April 24, 1991
(Phone:  202/453-4164)

Janet Dean
Rockwell International, Downey, Calif.
(Phone:  213/922-5227)

RELEASE:  91-62

NEW U.S. SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR TO ROLLOUT

	The United States' new Space Shuttle orbiter, the Endeavour,
will rollout tomorrow at a ceremony at Air Force Plant 42 in Palmdale,
Calif., where the orbiter was assembled by Rockwell International
Corporation's Space System Division (SSD).

	A crowd to include several thousand Rockwell employees and their
families, government leaders and top Rockwell and NASA officials is
expected as the Endeavour makes its public debut.  Endeavour is the
fifth operational orbiter Rockwell has built for the U.S. Space Shuttle
program.

	 NASA Administrator Richard H. Truly calls Endeavour NASA's
finest Space Shuttle yet and praised the efforts of tens of thousands
of people on the NASA/industry team across the nation who contributed
to the new orbiter's construction.

	Truly stated, "On behalf of NASA and the nation, I am extremely
proud to be taking delivery of the Space Shuttle orbiter Endeavour, the
latest in a line of magnificent flying machines.  Painstakingly built
by some of the finest and most dedicated members of the
government/industry work force in America and equipped with extremely
capable avionics and mechanical systems, Endeavour will join our fleet
of remarkable space ships -- Columbia, Discovery and Atlantis -- in
carrying out the world's grandest adventure, the exploration of this
vast new ocean we call space."

	Members of the crew of Endeavour's first flight will be on hand
to receive the ceremonial "keys" to Endeavour from  Rockwell.

	Dr. Robert Duce, Dean of the University of Rhode Island's
Graduate School of Oceanography and Vice Provost for Marine Affairs,
will present NASA with Endeavour's first "payload" -- a sternpost
remnant recovered from the orbiter's namesake, the first sailing ship
commanded by British explorer Captain James Cook in 1768-1771.  On the
trip, Cook observed and recorded the transit of the planet Venus.  The
artifact will be carried aboard Endeavour on her maiden voyage.

	The name Endeavour resulted from a nationwide orbiter-naming
competition supported by educational projects created by student teams
in elementary and secondary schools.  President Bush chose the name,
which was proposed by both a fifth grade class in Mississippi and a
team of Georgian students in grades 8-12.

	Endeavour is scheduled to be mated to NASA's new Shuttle Carrier
Aircraft at the Rockwell Palmdale facility early next week and flown to
Ellington Field, near NASA's Johnson Space Center, Houston, for an
overnight stay.  Endeavour is scheduled to arrive at the Kennedy Space
Center, Fla., on May 3.

	A total of $1.8 billion was spent on Endeavour:  approximately
$1.6 billion on the orbiter vehicle and orbiter support items such as
extravehicular mobility units, television cameras, upgrades to the
Remote Manipulator System, government- furnished equipment such as
recorders and support for safety and quality inspections; and
approximately another $0.2 billion on four Space Shuttle main engines.

	SSD manages the Endeavour construction program under the direction
of the Johnson Space Center.  Fabrication of Endeavour's forward and
aft fuselages, forward reaction control system, crew compartment and
secondary structures was completed at SSD's headquarters facility in
Downey, Calif.  Final assembly, test and checkout were performed at the
SSD Palmdale facility.  In addition, more than 250 major subcontractors
and approximately 3,450 associated suppliers nationwide performed work
on Endeavour's components and support services, accounting for nearly
50 percent of the total work on the program.

sharp@mizar.usc.edu (Malcolm Sharp) (04/26/91)

Does anyone know if Endeavour can be seen by the general public
before it leaves for KSC?  Also, is next week's departure time
known...I'd love to see that!
Thanx.

rwelarat@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (RU1 Welaratna) (04/27/91)

>approximately another $0.2 billion on four Space Shuttle main engines.
                                       ^^^^

Four engines?  I thought all the shuttle had just three main engines with
another two maneuvering (sp?) jets.  Can someone clear this up?

--
Another stupid opinion from,
RU1 Welaratna

In article <11918@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rwelarat@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (RU1 Welaratna) writes:
>Four engines?  I thought all the shuttle had just three main engines with
>another two maneuvering (sp?) jets.  Can someone clear this up?

Presumably this is three flight engines plus a spare.  Actually there will
be more, since engine life is only ten flights or so.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

mll@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Mark Littlefield) (04/27/91)

In article <11918@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, rwelarat@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (RU1 Welaratna) writes:

|> >approximately another $0.2 billion on four Space Shuttle main engines.
|>                                        ^^^^
|>
|> Four engines?  I thought all the shuttle had just three main engines with
|> another two maneuvering (sp?) jets.  Can someone clear this up?
|>
|> --
|> Another stupid opinion from,
|> RU1 Welaratna
|> rwelarat@jarthur.claremont.edu
|> rwelaratna@hmcvax.bitnet

The engines are rotated and occasionally serviced.  You wouldn't want
a system that had no spare parts now, would you?

Mark L. Littlefield             Automation and Robotics Division
internet: mll@aio.jsc.nasa.gov       Intelligent Systems Branch
USsnail:  Lockheed Engineering and Sciences
          2400 Nasa Rd 1 / MS 19
          Houston, TX 77258

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (05/10/91)

On <Apr 26 19:59> RU1 Welaratna writes:

 RW> Four engines?  I thought all the shuttle had just three main engines with
 RW> another two maneuvering (sp?) jets.  Can someone clear this up?

A spare?

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/14/91)

In article <3218.282A166A@ofa123.fidonet.org>, rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) writes:
> On <Apr 26 19:59> RU1 Welaratna writes:
>
>  RW> Four engines?  I thought all the shuttle had just three main engines with
>  RW> another two maneuvering (sp?) jets.  Can someone clear this up?
>
> A spare?

Yes, NASA bought 4 engines with Endevour.... each shuttle uses three so yes a
spare.

--

Mike Kent -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3791