[sci.space.shuttle] Edwards landings

mmachlis@athena.mit.edu (Matthew A Machlis) (05/11/91)

There are two main reasons why to land at Edwards instead of Florida:
1) Weather, as someone just mentioned.  There is about 90 minutes between
when the orbiter is committed to landing at a particular site and when it
actually touches down, and during that 90 minutes the weather in Florida
can change drastically, as opposed to the stable Edwards weather.

2) Room for error.  I just read that several flights ago, one of the shuttles
actually touched down 700' short of the runway at Edwards.  Out there in the
desert you could land several thousand feet short with no big deal.  The
Florida runway does have a 1000' overrun at either end of the runway, but this
is still less error margin than at Edwards.\

I would definitely like to see them landing at Florida regularly to save all
that money, but only when it has been determined to be totally safe (at least
not any riskier than landing at Edwards).

Matt Machlis
MIT Space Systems Laboratory
(617)253-2272

rroberts@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ross Allan Roberts) (05/11/91)

>2) Room for error.  I just read that several flights ago, one of the shuttles
>actually touched down 700' short of the runway at Edwards.  Out there in the
>desert you could land several thousand feet short with no big deal.  The
>Florida runway does have a 1000' overrun at either end of the runway, but this
>is still less error margin than at Edwards.\

Isn't braking a factor too? I thought I read once that a shuttle landing at
KSC burned completely through its brake linings trying to stop in time. I
do know they have beefed up the brakes, but it's still a quick stop at KSC.

|Ross Roberts			   |   KEYSTONE DRAFT LIGHT DRY!!!	 |
|rroberts@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu|The Great Light Beer In a Can	 |
|				   |That Tastes Like Beer In A Bottle	 |
|Vai, Rush, Apple, Pioneer, Honda  |That Tastes Like Beer In A Keg	 |
|and about $50,000 are all I need! |With No Beer Taste, and No Aftertaste|

gaudiot@priam.usc.edu (Jean-Luc Gaudiot) (05/11/91)

Why is the shuttle committed to landing at KSC 90 minutes prior to landing?
It seems to me (looking at the last flight path) that, say over Vancouver,
it still had sufficient altitude to reach either site.  This would mean
that commitment to a landing site could occur much later, right?

I am sure I am missing something important, then ...

Jean-Luc Gaudiot
The Flying Frenchman

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/14/91)

In article <1991May10.181129.1554@athena.mit.edu>, mmachlis@athena.mit.edu (Matthew A Machlis) writes:

> I would definitely like to see them landing at Florida regularly to save all
> that money, but only when it has been determined to be totally safe (at least
> not any riskier than landing at Edwards).
>
> --
> Matt Machlis
> MIT Space Systems Laboratory
> (617)253-2272

Its safer to land at Edwards.  The lake bed has a large margin for error.

Moving the prime landing site to KSC is waiting on:

1) the new brakes on the orbiters  (this is complete)

2) Installation of the drag chutes on the orbiters.  (Endevour will be the
first)

3) complete testing of the new brakes, drag chute, and nose will steering.

When all this is done.  Then the KSC will be prime.

--

Mike Kent -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3791