[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle computers

wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.162201.16502@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.171707.27685@isc.rit.edu> isg7243@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>
>The reason why the landing gear are lowered only by human command, by the
>way, is that they cannot be raised again once lowered.  So they'd better
>not get lowered prematurely.

I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable, logical, and utterly
necessary reason for this, but...

Why in the *hell* can they only *lower* the landing gear?
Theoretically, I suppose, you only need to lower it in flight, but it
still seems like bonebrain engineering to me.

	* Turbopumps that fail at a hostile glance

	* Solid boosters as safe as a $2 skyrocket

	* Landing gear that only goes in one direction

	The Shuttle:  "It's got modern, stone-age technologeeee!"
                       (Sung to the Flintstones Theme)

In article <1076@igor.Rational.COM> wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:
>Why in the *hell* can they only *lower* the landing gear?
>Theoretically, I suppose, you only need to lower it in flight, but it
>still seems like bonebrain engineering to me.

No, it's minimum-weight engineering.  Being able to raise the gear again
needs extra machinery.

It's common in spacecraft for actions that go only one way to be implemented
with machinery that is only capable of going one way, but is simpler and
lighter than two-way machinery.  Pyrotechnic valves are an example:  the
valve opens when you fire a small explosive charge, which makes for a very
lightweight and reliable valve actuator that only goes one way.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/04/91)

> 	* Turbopumps that fail at a hostile glance

	ever tried buring crygenic Ox and Hydrogen at very high pressure?
	The Shuttle program has never had a turbo pump fail durring powered
flight, some test units failed, but thats why they test them.

> 	* Solid boosters as safe as a $2 skyrocket

	SRB's are not as safe as liquid fueled rockets.  They cost less to
	deveolop and the Shuttle program was on a tight development budget.

> 	* Landing gear that only goes in one direction

	Why do you need to raise the landing gear.  Is the shuttle going to
	wave off and go around again on a landing.? The Landing gear doors have
to close very tightly to keep the heat from re-entry from getting in and
burning up the tires/landing gear.  In fact the doors open with a piro-technic
assist.

> 	The Shuttle:  "It's got modern, stone-age technologeeee!"
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                        (Sung to the Flintstones Theme)

	I don't think you have enough information to make the kind of
statements you are making.

--

Mike Kent -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3791

oliver@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/04/91)

In article <1076@igor.Rational.COM>, wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:

> I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable, logical, and utterly
> necessary reason for this, but...
>
> Why in the *hell* can they only *lower* the landing gear?
> Theoretically, I suppose, you only need to lower it in flight, but it
> still seems like bonebrain engineering to me.

There are two major reasons that I can think of.  First of all is why would you
want to raise the gear?  The Orbiter is a glider, it doesn't have the power to
go around on a missed approach, so there is not a flight requirement to raise
the landing gear.  Second, all the plumbing that it takes to raise the landing
gear has weight.  NASA tries to eliminate all weight which serves no useful
purpose, and on a space vehicle, equipment to raise the landing gear serves no
useful purpose.

Additionally, by not having the hydraulics system to raise the landing gear on
board the overall complexity of the hydraulics system is reduced.  This means
fewer things which have to be checked out during the vehicle turnaround.  Less
cost, less risk of something breaking, and just plain good engineering.
--

Pat Oliver -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3323

wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.111445.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>> 	* Turbopumps that fail at a hostile glance
>>

>	ever tried buring crygenic Ox and Hydrogen at very high pressure?
>	The Shuttle program has never had a turbo pump fail durring powered
>flight, some test units failed, but thats why they test them.

Those same tests have shown a high rate of failure for the turbo
pumps.  I believe their readjusted mean time to failure is now rated
at some ludicrously small fraction of the initial estimates.

Many other design features of the shuttle haven't failed
catastrophically yet (e.g., heating tiles) but that's because NASA has
spent multiples over original estimates for maintenance and
replacement.

My main problem with the pump is as they can be regarded as symbols of
the design philosophy of the shuttle:  Make the the system dependent on
unproven designs that require the utmost of the technology.  Designing
for the last .1% of the capabilities of the technology does not
portend a robust system.

>> 	* Solid boosters as safe as a $2 skyrocket
>
>	SRB's are not as safe as liquid fueled rockets.  They cost less to
>	deveolop and the Shuttle program was on a tight development budget.

At least you don't claim they've never failed....

>> 	* Landing gear that only goes in one direction
>
>	Why do you need to raise the landing gear.  Is the shuttle going to
>	wave off and go around again on a landing.?

I had no scenario in mind when I asked the question, but an obvious
one occurrs to me now:  What do you do when the gear deploys
partially?  Hasn't this already happened or is my memory playing
tricks?  I seem to remember a Shuttle touching down without the nose
gear down and scrubbing its nose pretty good.  Regardless, NASA
undoubtedly has contingency plans in place to deal with this without
being able to raise the gear, but it is still a question of robustness
vs. weight/complexity/cost to determine need.

My problem with the robustness of the Shuttle system is that it seems
to be designed to deal with just one major failure at a time.  NASA's
answer to those highly unlikely scenarios combining two major failures
is to say that the crew is SOL.  Say there is a tile failure that
results in major structural damage to a wing during reentry, yet the
Shuttle makes it through the remainder of the descent pattern through
to final approach in one piece.  Then the crew drops the gear, but
only the nose and one wing gear deploy (presumably the failed gear is
in the burned wing).  Crippled thusly, would you rather set the bird
down on two points and take the chance of tumbling if the wing snaps
or would you rather raise the gear and pancake cleanly?  I know, I
know, wing loadings/structural stress is much higher during reentry
and descent than touchdown, etc.; if you've gotten it that far, it'll
probably stay in one piece.  Still, that or another scenario could
occur in which it would be desirous to raise the gear.

>The Landing gear doors have
>to close very tightly to keep the heat from re-entry from getting in and
>burning up the tires/landing gear.  In fact the doors open with a piro-technic
>assist.

I don't see why this would make it more difficult to raise the gear.
Presumably it would make it more difficult to close the gear bay
doors.

>> 	The Shuttle:  "It's got modern, stone-age technologeeee!"
>>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>                        (Sung to the Flintstones Theme)
>
>	I don't think you have enough information to make the kind of
>statements you are making.

I'm sure you NASA guys (contractors are close enough) are tired of
getting ribbed about the Shuttle, but the fact is that anyone who has
followed the program these many years knows the problems.  Everyone
from NASA to USA Today has discussed the SRBs and turbo pumps.  In
other words, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what's
wrong with the Shuttle, at least with regard to the major problem
components.

Basically, though, my problems aren't with any one aspect of the
Shuttle as much as NASA's disregard for robustness.  NASA keeps
claiming it wants to fly the Shuttle like a 747; year after year they
have grandiose plans requiring more and more Shuttle flights, but they
never meet their current launch schedule because system problems keep
launches grounded.  A more robust system might make it off the ground on time.
Further, NASA wants to make all those flights without planning for the
increased likelihood of a major failure.  It boggles the mind that
NASA wants to increase flights without increasing robustness.  More
flights equals a higher chance of failure over time.  Wouldn't you
want to decrease that possibility as you increase its likelihood?
That is, wouldn't you want to make it less likely to fail as you give
it more chances to do so?

The really glaring mistakes came during the post-Challenger redesign.
Given the chance to rethink the philosophy of Shuttle design, NASA
essentially kept the same dogma.  They upped the ratio to one major
failure per 78 Shuttle flights without making any but the most minimal
attempts to increase the survivability of the system, and almost no
attempts to increase crew survivability in the case of such a failure
(descent pole indeed).

v071pzp4@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Craig L Cole) (05/07/91)

In article <1082@igor.Rational.COM>, wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes...
>In article <1991May3.111445.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>>> 	* Landing gear that only goes in one direction
>>
>>	Why do you need to raise the landing gear.  Is the shuttle going to
>>	wave off and go around again on a landing.?
>
>I had no scenario in mind when I asked the question, but an obvious
>one occurrs to me now:  What do you do when the gear deploys
>partially?  Hasn't this already happened or is my memory playing
>tricks?  I seem to remember a Shuttle touching down without the nose
>gear down and scrubbing its nose pretty good.

Pardon me, but when did _this_ happen? The only landing related failure
was the last KSC landing pre-Challenger. One of the shuttle's brakes
locked, blowing one of the tires. This led to the ending of KSC landings
until the nosewheel steering system was installed (done) and new
carbon-carbon brakes were isntalled (done, but still being tested)

> [Scenario for raising gear deleted]
>
>I don't see why this would make it more difficult to raise the gear.
>Presumably it would make it more difficult to close the gear bay
>doors.

I've always been told that the landing gear mechanism is designed to
be simple -- it'll only open once (per trip), but it'll always
open _right_.

An interesting sidenote - I've always understood that the shuttle
can land completely autonomously, but someone has to be there to
at least lower the landing gear, since the shuttle computers are
in no way in control of it. The reason that the computers aren't
able to lower them, is _because_ they only open once. NASA didn't
want a computer glitch to lower the landing during launch (really
ugly thought) or in orbit (still ugly). The shuttle couldn't
survive reentry with its landing gear down.

I can't quite agree with NASA on this one. Having landing gear you
can raise would have made the system a little more complex and maybe
a bit heavier, but the one-shot gear opens up a couple of new
problems:

1) Inability to test gear in orbit before landing.
2) Inability to land (safely) should the astronauts become
   incapacitated.

That, of course, is only true if the shuttle can land completely
autonomously. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Craig Cole
University at Buffalo
V071PZP4@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
V071PZP4@UBVMS.BITNET

dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) (05/07/91)

In article <1082@igor.Rational.COM>, wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:
|> >	Why do you need to raise the landing gear.  Is the shuttle going to
|> >	wave off and go around again on a landing.?
|>
|> I had no scenario in mind when I asked the question, but an obvious
|> one occurrs to me now:  What do you do when the gear deploys
|> partially?  Hasn't this already happened or is my memory playing
|> tricks?  I seem to remember a Shuttle touching down without the nose
|> gear down and scrubbing its nose pretty good.

Wrong.  If that had happened, it would have done more than scrub the nose.

|> My problem with the robustness of the Shuttle system is that it seems
|> to be designed to deal with just one major failure at a time.  NASA's
|> answer to those highly unlikely scenarios combining two major failures
|> is to say that the crew is SOL.

Wrong.  The basic design goal for shuttle has *always* been that it should be
able to withstand two failures and still assure crew safety.  This level of
fault-tolerance exists for *most* failures.  It is a harsh reality that you
can't protect against some failures.  For example, what do you do if a wing
falls off?  Deploy the backup wing?

|> Still, that or another scenario could
|> occur in which it would be desirous to raise the gear.

Why don't you make a list of the scenarios in which it is desirous to raise the
gear?  Compute the probability for each of these happening.  Now compute the
risk you've *added* by introducing all this new equipment (motors, hydraulics, etc).
Do you still want that capability?

|> I'm sure you NASA guys (contractors are close enough) are tired of
|> getting ribbed about the Shuttle,

I'm tired of irresponsible flamage.  If you ever want to have a *serious*
discussion about shuttle, give me a call.

|> but the fact is that anyone who has
|> followed the program these many years knows the problems.  Everyone
|> from NASA to USA Today has discussed the SRBs and turbo pumps.  In
|> other words, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what's
|> wrong with the Shuttle, at least with regard to the major problem
|> components.

You may not have to be a rocket scientist, but you need a better source of
information than USA Today.

|> Wouldn't you
|> want to decrease that possibility as you increase its likelihood?

Do YOU have an infinite supply of money?

--
Brad Mears
dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov

Opinions are expressly forbidden.  | "It is better to die on your feet
I speak for myself and no other.   |  than live on your knees"

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/08/91)

In article <1082@igor.Rational.COM>, wab@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:
>>	ever tried buring crygenic Ox and Hydrogen at very high pressure?
>>	The Shuttle program has never had a turbo pump fail durring powered
>>flight, some test units failed, but thats why they test them.
>
> Those same tests have shown a high rate of failure for the turbo
> pumps.  I believe their readjusted mean time to failure is now rated
> at some ludicrously small fraction of the initial estimates.

I believe the initial rating for the Space Shuttle Main Engine was 30 flights.
they are now rated at 10 flights.  Is that a ludicrously small fraction?

> My main problem with the pump is as they can be regarded as symbols of
> the design philosophy of the shuttle:  Make the the system dependent on
> unproven designs that require the utmost of the technology.  Designing
> for the last .1% of the capabilities of the technology does not
> portend a robust system.

I think you are probably right.  Many of the problems of the shuttle can be
trace back to the fact that NASA had to develop the technology to build the
Shuttle in the first place.  It just did not exist in the 70's.

>>> 	* Solid boosters as safe as a $2 skyrocket
>>
>>	SRB's are not as safe as liquid fueled rockets.  They cost less to
>>	deveolop and the Shuttle program was on a tight development budget.
>
> At least you don't claim they've never failed....

If NASA had the funding they would have developed liqued fuel boosters.

>>> 	* Landing gear that only goes in one direction
>>
>>	Why do you need to raise the landing gear.  Is the shuttle going to
>>	wave off and go around again on a landing.?
>
> I had no scenario in mind when I asked the question, but an obvious
> one occurrs to me now:  What do you do when the gear deploys
> partially?  Hasn't this already happened or is my memory playing
> tricks?  I seem to remember a Shuttle touching down without the nose
> gear down and scrubbing its nose pretty good.

Has not happened.

>  Regardless, NASA
> undoubtedly has contingency plans in place to deal with this without
> being able to raise the gear, but it is still a question of robustness
> vs. weight/complexity/cost to determine need.
      ======

Weight thats the key.  By the way the shuttle has a contengeny system to deploy
the gear.  It has pyro assist if need be.

> My problem with the robustness of the Shuttle system is that it seems
> to be designed to deal with just one major failure at a time.  NASA's
> answer to those highly unlikely scenarios combining two major failures
> is to say that the crew is SOL.  Say there is a tile failure that

Its a matter of weight.  If you design full robustness, they it weighs so much
that you have no payload at all.  You could easily add 60,000 pounds of
redundant equiptment and still have a vehicle that is no where as safe as a
jet plane.  Lets face it, with the energies and speed and margins of error,
space flight is a dangerous business.  It will be a long time until we can
develop systems the deliver the performance and safety of a commercial airliner
without major weight penalties. You can't carry 3 extra main engines... you
can't carry air breathing engines and the fuel the run them.  Launch systems
just can't carry that much extra weight.

> I'm sure you NASA guys (contractors are close enough) are tired of
> getting ribbed about the Shuttle, but the fact is that anyone who has
> followed the program these many years knows the problems.  Everyone
> from NASA to USA Today has discussed the SRBs and turbo pumps.  In
> other words, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what's
> wrong with the Shuttle, at least with regard to the major problem
> components.

There are no questions that the shuttle has problems. Its is still the most
advanced launch system we have.

> Basically, though, my problems aren't with any one aspect of the
> Shuttle as much as NASA's disregard for robustness.  NASA keeps
> claiming it wants to fly the Shuttle like a 747; year after year they
> have grandiose plans requiring more and more Shuttle flights, but they
> never meet their current launch schedule because system problems keep
> launches grounded.
>  A more robust system might make it off the ground on time.

We are flying a when its safe not to a minute schedule.  NASA has made every
major launch window for plantary probes it has launched from the Shuttle.
The "launch on time" thing is more of an artifact of the press than NASA.

> Further, NASA wants to make all those flights without planning for the
> increased likelihood of a major failure.  It boggles the mind that
> NASA wants to increase flights without increasing robustness.  More
> flights equals a higher chance of failure over time.  Wouldn't you
> want to decrease that possibility as you increase its likelihood?
> That is, wouldn't you want to make it less likely to fail as you give
> it more chances to do so?

Thats true if we never flew we would never loose and orbiter.
NASA's launch manifest has 7 flights this year, 9 in 1992, 10 in 1993
I hardly call that "grandiose plans requiring more and more"  NASA is committed
to finding the maximum SAFE flight rate.

> The really glaring mistakes came during the post-Challenger redesign.
> Given the chance to rethink the philosophy of Shuttle design, NASA
> essentially kept the same dogma.  They upped the ratio to one major
> failure per 78 Shuttle flights without making any but the most minimal
> attempts to increase the survivability of the system, and almost no
> attempts to increase crew survivability in the case of such a failure
> (descent pole indeed).

I have never seen what NASA claimed the failure rate to be before challenger
but I would guess it was billed as higher than 1 per 78.  The changes to many
systems were major.  SRB's Main engines, APU's, Brakes.  All most nothing could
save any crew in any vehicle from a challenger type break up.

--

rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Falconer) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May7.120505.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>> (descent pole indeed).

>I have never seen what NASA claimed the failure rate to be before challenger

>but I would guess it was billed as higher than 1 per 78.  The changes to many
>systems were major.  SRB's Main engines, APU's, Brakes.  Almost nothing could
>save any crew in any vehicle from a challenger type break up.
>
>--

	I have met and talked to a SR-71 Blackbird pilot who punched
out of his craft while travelling at just under Mach 3. He came through
it all right; was more badly hurt from landing in a saguaro cactus on
the ground. _If_ the shuttle had provision for crew ejection (and no,
I would not claim that to be a feasible post-Challenger refit) there
would have been a significant chance for STS-51L's crew (some of them)
to have survived. The forensic evidence suggests that several of the
people on the flight deck were alive and breathing (emergency air packs
do not spontaneously switch themselves on), said persons being killed
by the freely falling cabin's 350+kph impact with the Atlantic.

	The original shuttle should have incorporated (encapsulated?)
ejection capability. That it did not was one of the most egregious
design flaws yet promulgated by NASA. Let's do it right next time, eh?

--
||||||   Russ Teasdale -- rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  --  (Falconer)  |||||||
"Gentlemen, if we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure." - D. Quayle

harbour@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/14/91)

In article <282b9084.2da2@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Falconer) writes:

> In article <1991May7.120505.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>>> (descent pole indeed).
>
>>I have never seen what NASA claimed the failure rate to be before challenger
>
>>but I would guess it was billed as higher than 1 per 78.  The changes to many
>>systems were major.  SRB's Main engines, APU's, Brakes.  Almost nothing could
>>save any crew in any vehicle from a challenger type break up.
>>
>>--
>
> 	I have met and talked to a SR-71 Blackbird pilot who punched
> out of his craft while travelling at just under Mach 3. He came through
> it all right; was more badly hurt from landing in a saguaro cactus on
> the ground. _If_ the shuttle had provision for crew ejection (and no,
> I would not claim that to be a feasible post-Challenger refit) there
> would have been a significant chance for STS-51L's crew (some of them)
> to have survived. The forensic evidence suggests that several of the
> people on the flight deck were alive and breathing (emergency air packs
> do not spontaneously switch themselves on), said persons being killed
> by the freely falling cabin's 350+kph impact with the Atlantic.
>
> 	The original shuttle should have incorporated (encapsulated?)
> ejection capability. That it did not was one of the most egregious
> design flaws yet promulgated by NASA. Let's do it right next time, eh?
>

> --
> ||||||   Russ Teasdale -- rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  --  (Falconer)  |||||||
> "Gentlemen, if we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure." - D. Quayle

Actually, the shuttle had ejection seats installed for the first several (can't
remember the exact number of) flights.  The top of the crew compartment was
rigged to blow off first, of course.  This approach works fine with crews
of 4 or less.  But there are only 4 seats on the flight deck - the remaining
crew members are in (on?) the mid-deck from which there is no easy way out.
The ejection seats (and roof panel) were removed after the early flights.
It just didn't seem fair to give only half the crew an ejection seat.
(This is your captain speaking: we're having a bit of trouble so I'm
hittin' the silk.  Enjoy the rest of the flight :-).

I believe that there was talk of trying to put parachutes on the crew
compartment itself.  But I don't remember any details.  It probably ran
afoul on cost, weight penalty, or both (my guess - I really don't know).
--
Jeff   :   harbour@vf.jsc.nasa.gov   :   .sig void where prohibited by law

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/16/91)

In article <282b9084.2da2@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Falconer) writes:
>	The original shuttle should have incorporated (encapsulated?)
>ejection capability. That it did not was one of the most egregious
>design flaws yet promulgated by NASA. Let's do it right next time, eh?

The incorporation of encapsulated ejection capability to the shuttle
would have been quite expensive and massed several tonnes (which would
have cone out of payload capacity). NASA deciede that the extra safty
was not worth it. I would not call this a design flaw, unless the
objective of the design was to make an spaceceaft which was as close
to perfectly safe as possible. The shuttle was intended to do other
things (be a "space truck"I think was the phrase.)

				 Frank Crary
				 UC Berkeley