[sci.space.shuttle] After Endeavour, what then?

pittman@mwk.uucp (05/02/91)

Is Endeavour (OV-105) the absolutely last shuttle to be built?  Everything
I hear seems to indicate that, yet common sense tells me that with Freedom
going up over the next decade, the current shuttle fleet may be too old to
service it.  The older spacecraft are already about ten years old; that means
that at the point that Freedom becomes operational, Columbia would be
approaching twenty years of age.  The youngest orbiter, Endeavour, would then
be pushing ten.

Pardon my naivete, but what is the design lifetime of a shuttle orbiter?

--- Darrell Pittman        pittman@mwk.uucp               ---
--- M. W. Kellogg Co.      pittman%mwk@lobster.hou.tx.us  ---
--- Houston, TX            (713) 753-4410                 ---

pstinson@pbs.org (05/03/91)

In article <346.281f448d@mwk.uucp>, pittman@mwk.uucp writes:
> Is Endeavour (OV-105) the absolutely last shuttle to be built?
It will probably be the last of the Enterprise class of space shuttles to be
built, but it will not be the last space shuttle to go into service.  Space
Station Freedom will eventually be visited by a new generation of space
shuttle, possibly a single stage to orbit design that will emerge from the NASP
project.  There are also two stage designs being considered.  We must keep in
mind the current shuttle design was drawn up nearly twenty years ago and it is
time to take note of what we have learned from it and move on to the next
class.  Intrepid?

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/04/91)

In article <346.281f448d@mwk.uucp> pittman@mwk.uucp writes:
>Pardon my naivete, but what is the design lifetime of a shuttle orbiter?

According to the Office of Technology Assessment, the Shuttle system will
need to be replaced in the 2000-2010 frame. NASA Langley is working on
design concepts for a Shuttle II, now called AMLS or Advanced Manned
Launch System, these studies include everything from just like the
Shuttle but with a fly-back payload to a Hermes-like spaceplane on
a beafed up Titan to a air-launched system similar to the German
Sanger II concept.
However, by 2010, a NASP (X-30, fly to orbit, land and take off like
a 747) derived cargo and passenger carrier may be available.
As far as operating the space station, almost anything will do. The
soviet station is supported by a Delta-class launcher.

                       Frank Crary
		       UC Berkeley

In article <346.281f448d@mwk.uucp> pittman@mwk.uucp writes:
>Is Endeavour (OV-105) the absolutely last shuttle to be built? ...

Debatable point.  NASA now tends to side with the Rogers Commission, the
NRC, the OTA, and others who have studied the issue, in believing that an
ongoing supply of new orbiters is needed to keep the shuttle fleet viable
in the face of accidents and wear.  Unfortunately, the Augustine Commission
recommended against it, and Congress is hostile to the extra expense.  At
the moment, the farthest things are going is construction of a new set of
"structural spares" (the old set having been used to build Endeavour).

>Pardon my naivete, but what is the design lifetime of a shuttle orbiter?

Theoretically, I believe it was set at something like 200 flights.  Nobody
knows, yet, whether that has any relation to reality.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

In article <1991May3.120004.12584@pbs.org> pstinson@pbs.org writes:
>... it will not be the last space shuttle to go into service.  Space
>Station Freedom will eventually be visited by a new generation of space
>shuttle...

Freedom will be in a museum, or in pieces strewn over Australia :-), before
NASA gets funding to build a second-generation shuttle.

>time to take note of what we have learned from it and move on to the next
>class...

Very true.  We should have been moving on it years ago, in fact.  No sign
of motion yet.
--

In article <1991May4.081930.14921@agate.berkeley.edu> fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) writes:
>However, by 2010, a NASP (X-30, fly to orbit, land and take off like
>a 747) derived cargo and passenger carrier may be available.

The operative word, of course, is "may".  I give the X-30 itself only a 50%
chance of flying by then, although the recent revival of military interest
in it may help.
--

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (05/05/91)

Henry Spencer (henry@zoo.toronto.edu) says:

> I give the X-30 itself only a 50% chance of flying by [2010], although
> the recent revival of military interest in it may help.

Why so pessimistic?  Most of the reports so far in "Aviation Week"
about the progress of NASP seem to be that research is going better
than expected. I don't remember ever hearing this before about any
other major vehicle.

In article <HESKETT.91May4202553@polymnia.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu> heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
>> I give the X-30 itself only a 50% chance of flying by [2010]...
>
>Why so pessimistic?  Most of the reports so far in "Aviation Week"
>about the progress of NASP seem to be that research is going better
>than expected...

Technically the program is in fine shape.  But by X-plane standards it is
staggeringly expensive.  Congress is increasingly reluctant to spend that
much on a pure research project, and the White House is correspondingly
reluctant to ask for it.  The X-30 effort has already been hit with "you
may be ready to build it but we're not ready to pay for it; go away and
improve the technology for a few years and ask us again" once.  It would
not be at all surprising if this happens repeatedly.
--

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.213944.7721@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>The operative word, of course, is "may".  I give the X-30 itself only a 50%
>chance of flying by then, although the recent revival of military interest
>in it may help.

If I remember the timetables correctly, the X-30 is supposed to make its first
flight in 1996, with its first orbital flight in 1997. (Assuming, of course
Congress funds it.) If the program was to run 13 full years late, it would
still fly by 2010.
The credibility of the X-30 timetables is now (as of January) much better.
Instead of assuming the availability of materials and technology that have
not yet been developed, they have frozen the X-30's technology at the 1990
level. As a result, all the things they are assuming for a 1 first flight
are known to be there.

				       Frank Crary
				       UC Berkeley

bjax@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Jackson) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.213743.7574@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991May3.120004.12584@pbs.org> pstinson@pbs.org writes:
>>... it will not be the last space shuttle to go into service.  Space
>>Station Freedom will eventually be visited by a new generation of space
>>shuttle...
>
>Freedom will be in a museum, or in pieces strewn over Australia :-), before
>NASA gets funding to build a second-generation shuttle.

Funding is decided by Congress; but you might be interested to know NASA-
Langley is developing a "space taxi" based on lifting body technology that
is capable of carrying up to ten people to low earth orbit.  If funding for
further development is approved, we could be on the road to a shuttle adjunct,
that could serve as the "lifeboat" for the space station.

--
Bruce Jackson <bjax@grissom.larc.nasa.gov> NASA Langley Research Center
             MS 489, Hampton, VA  23665     (804) 864-4060

mvk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.082711.25435@agate.berkeley.edu> fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) writes:
>If I remember the timetables correctly, the X-30 is supposed to make its first
>flight in 1996, with its first orbital flight in 1997. (Assuming, of course
>Congress funds it.) If the program was to run 13 full years late, it would
>still fly by 2010.

From what I can tell, the most recent information regarding the X-30 is as
follows:  Preliminary design is currently underway and will proceed until 1993.
At that time a decision will be made whether to build two test vehicles.  Cost
of the two planes is estimated at $8 to $12 billion.  If funded, first flight
of the X-30 will be in late 1997 / early 1998, with an orbital attempt some-
time in 1999.

Mike

--
Michael Kent                                   mvk@itsgw.rpi.edu
McDonnell Douglas                              Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (05/07/91)

In article <346.281f448d@mwk.uucp> pittman@mwk.uucp writes:
>Is Endeavour (OV-105) the absolutely last shuttle to be built?

With luck, yes.

>Everything
>I hear seems to indicate that, yet common sense tells me that with Freedom
>going up over the next decade, the current shuttle fleet may be too old to
>service it.

Freedom can be serviced for a tenth the cost using expendables. With
no more new shuttles, NASA will need to use them. The taxpayers will
save billions if they do.

>Pardon my naivete, but what is the design lifetime of a shuttle orbiter?

I think it is 100 flights.

   Allen
|Allen W. Sherzer |        Allen's tactics are too tricky to deal with      |
|   aws@iti.org   |             -- Harel Barzilai                           |

In article <1991May5.122325.24559@news.larc.nasa.gov> bjax@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Jackson) writes:
>>Freedom will be in a museum, or in pieces strewn over Australia :-), before
>>NASA gets funding to build a second-generation shuttle.
>
>Funding is decided by Congress; but you might be interested to know NASA-
>Langley is developing a "space taxi" based on lifting body technology that
>is capable of carrying up to ten people to low earth orbit...

No, Langley is not "developing" it.  Langley is studying the possibility
of submitting a proposal to investigate maybe someday developing it.  Or
words to that effect. :-)  For all the hoopla about that project, its
funding is miniscule -- it's just another design study, and could easily
sink without trace like a lot of other NASA design studies.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/07/91)

While the shuttle was designed to have a 100 flight lifetime (as well
as fly 12 flights/year). However the Office of Technology Assessment
notes that this would require a reliability of 99.97%. If you assume
a more realistic reliability of 97.5% (one failure in 40 which is the
current total), an orbiter has a 50% chance of being lost by its 27th
flight.

				    Frank Crary
				    UC Berkeley

joefish@disk.uucp (joefish) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.170018.5455@iti.org> aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) writes:
>In article <346.281f448d@mwk.uucp> pittman@mwk.uucp writes:
>>Is Endeavour (OV-105) the absolutely last shuttle to be built?
>
>With luck, yes.
>
>>Everything
>>I hear seems to indicate that, yet common sense tells me that with Freedom
>>going up over the next decade, the current shuttle fleet may be too old to
>>service it.
>
>Freedom can be serviced for a tenth the cost using expendables. With
>no more new shuttles, NASA will need to use them. The taxpayers will
>save billions if they do.
>
>>Pardon my naivete, but what is the design lifetime of a shuttle orbiter?
>
>I think it is 100 flights.
>
>   Allen
>--
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|Allen W. Sherzer |        Allen's tactics are too tricky to deal with      |
>|   aws@iti.org   |             -- Harel Barzilai                           |
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

There are other things than fred to think about.   I think it would be
useful to build another shuttle, but without wings, without heat tiles,
without rudder, and without landing gear, and use it to go to geo orbit
and remove nonworking satellites, and bring them down to LEO and put
them in a shuttle that can land them.

The weight of the wings, tiles and rudder and landing gear, could be
put into tanks and fuel for the orbital maneuvoring engines, and for
extra oxygen and supplies.   This special shuttle could be one step
toward building interplanetary manned ships.    There is not going
to be much change in the cabin between present shuttles and any new
craft for extended trips.

If a shuttle craft like this were built, it's total weight would
7/*d2XnGahbe payload, and it would
weigh close to 200,000 pounds.   Why develop a new heavy lift
system when one exists, but it isn't being used for heavy lifts,
only for lifting the aerospace shuttle.

I can't conceive of any need to lift anything in one piece
heavier than 200,000 pounds, and the present shuttle system
can do it.    How many 200,000 pound cargos will there be during
the next 30 years?

Joe Fischer         joefish@disk.UUCP

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May07.054232.19990@disk.uucp> joefish@disk.uucp (joefish) writes:

>>Freedom can be serviced for a tenth the cost using expendables. With
>>no more new shuttles, NASA will need to use them. The taxpayers will
>>save billions if they do.

>There are other things than fred to think about.   I think it would be
>useful to build another shuttle, but without wings, without heat tiles,
>without rudder, and without landing gear, and use it to go to geo orbit
>and remove nonworking satellites, and bring them down to LEO and put
>them in a shuttle that can land them.

This sounds sort of like Shuttle-C although I doubt very much it could
to to GEO.

But you still have the same problem. The Shuttle is amazingly horendously
mind-boggelingly expensive to operate. We would be far better off if we
took this huge amount of money and spent it on infrastructure. We should
build a reasonable OTV for going to GEO to get satellites. We should
have a drydock in orbit for repair. The problem is that none of this will
happen with the market so small and the market will remain small as long
as we insist on spending three to five times what we need to to put
payloads into orbit.

mll@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Mark Littlefield) (05/08/91)

In article <346.281f448d@mwk.uucp>, pittman@mwk.uucp writes:
|> Is Endeavour (OV-105) the absolutely last shuttle to be built?  Everything
|> I hear seems to indicate that, yet common sense tells me that with Freedom
|> going up over the next decade, the current shuttle fleet may be too old to
|> service it.  The older spacecraft are already about ten years old; that means
|> that at the point that Freedom becomes operational, Columbia would be
|> approaching twenty years of age.  The youngest orbiter, Endeavour, would then
|> be pushing ten.
|>
|> Pardon my naivete, but what is the design lifetime of a shuttle orbiter?
|>

|> -------------------------------------------------------------
|> --- Darrell Pittman        pittman@mwk.uucp               ---
|> --- M. W. Kellogg Co.      pittman%mwk@lobster.hou.tx.us  ---
|> --- Houston, TX            (713) 753-4410                 ---
|> -------------------------------------------------------------

If I remember correctly, the shuttle was originally designed for a
hundred cycles (flights).  That number was based on a flight schedule
of 1 flight a week, or a turn-around time of 4 weeks on a single
orbiter so I'm not sure what the current projections are.

Although we all love the shuttle, I doubt that it would last 100 years
at an average rate of a little over one flight a year (the current
average...counting the test program and Return to Flight).  It's
pretty clear that shuttle was a pathfinder and a true,
one-stage-to-orbut vehicle will be needed to service Space Station
Freedom and it's siblings.

Mark L. Littlefield               Automation and Robotics Division
internet: mll@aio.jsc.nasa.gov      Intelligent Systems Branch
USsnail:  Lockheed Engineering and Sciences
          2400 Nasa Rd 1 / MS 19
          Houston, TX 77258

smfedor@solar.lerc.nasa.gov (Gregory Fedor) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.173026.5258@iti.org> aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) writes:
>In article <1991May07.054232.19990@disk.uucp> joefish@disk.uucp (joefish) writes:
>
>>>Freedom can be serviced for a tenth the cost using expendables. With
>>>no more new shuttles, NASA will need to use them. The taxpayers will
>>>save billions if they do.
>
>>There are other things than fred to think about.   I think it would be
>>useful to build another shuttle, but without wings, without heat tiles,
>>without rudder, and without landing gear, and use it to go to geo orbit
>>and remove nonworking satellites, and bring them down to LEO and put
>>them in a shuttle that can land them.
>
>This sounds sort of like Shuttle-C although I doubt very much it could
>to to GEO.

Actually, it sounds more like the OMV (Orbital Maneuvering Vehicle?) that
MSFC (Marshall Space Flight Center) was working on before it was axed by
congress in a budget cut.

Well, now that I think about it, what joefish described wouldn't resemble
the OMV, but functionally they'd accomplish the same things.  I don't
remember too much about the OMV.  Perhaps someone from MSFC could fill in
the details.

Too bad congress nixed it.  It sounded like a good idea that _would_ work.

Gregory A. Fedor		| Far from day, far from light    \
Sverdrup Technology Inc.	| Out of time, out of sight        \
NASA Lewis Research Center	| To a world, young and free        \\-^-/___
Cleveland, Ohio  44135-3191	| Weep no more, follow me         |===[o]/  #o
(216) 433-8468			|                                    /VVV
smfedor@lerc01.lerc.nasa.gov	| Forever...Forever...Forever       /
(128.156.10.14)			|                               Voyagers 1 & 2

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/08/91)

> If I remember correctly, the shuttle was originally designed for a
> hundred cycles (flights).  That number was based on a flight schedule
> of 1 flight a week, or a turn-around time of 4 weeks on a single
> orbiter so I'm not sure what the current projections are.
>
> Although we all love the shuttle, I doubt that it would last 100 years
> at an average rate of a little over one flight a year (the current
> average...counting the test program and Return to Flight).  It's
> pretty clear that shuttle was a pathfinder and a true,
> one-stage-to-orbut vehicle will be needed to service Space Station
> Freedom and it's siblings.

Since the return to flight in 1988, each orbiter has flown about 3 times a
year.  It would be more realistic to count the flights per year based on a
flight rate of 8-12 total flights a year.  So....

10 / 4 Orbiters = 2.5 flights a year per vehicle.  The vehicles are rated at
100 flights.  Plans are in work to assure parts and maintainablity thru the
year 2020.  Beyond that, I do not know.

Assuming the year 2020 as the last shuttle flight:  29 years X 10 flights a
year = 290 flights divided by 4 orbiters = 72.5 flight per vehicle plus about
10 flight each on Columbia , Discovery and Atlantis = 82.5 flights total.

Now if all the Orbiters are still around after 82 flights each is another
question entirely.

Flying 40 year old vehicles in not unreasonable, The B52 fleet is nearing
30-40 years old.  Also think of the average age of a DC3. The thought
of flying 40 year old space technolgy is a scary one.

--

Mike Kent -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3791

In article <1991May8.144502.8308@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> smfedor@solar.lerc.nasa.gov (Gregory Fedor) writes:
>>This sounds sort of like Shuttle-C although I doubt very much it could
>>to to GEO.

>Actually, it sounds more like the OMV (Orbital Maneuvering Vehicle?) that
>MSFC (Marshall Space Flight Center) was working on before it was axed by
>congress in a budget cut.

Actually, it sounds like a combination of Shuttle-C and OMV.

>Too bad congress nixed it.  It sounded like a good idea that _would_ work.

It was NASA who nixed it. The program was cancled because it was way late
and over budget. However, NASA has resurected it in the form of another
vehicle (can't remember the name). They have stuck about $3 billion to
NLDP to pay for it.

With that kind of money don't expect it to do any better than OMV. There
are things which can be done for a million $$ which can't be done for a
billion $$.

fcrary@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.092605.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>10 / 4 Orbiters = 2.5 flights a year per vehicle.  The vehicles are rated at
>100 flights.  Plans are in work to assure parts and maintainablity thru the
>year 2020.  Beyond that, I do not know.
>
>Assuming the year 2020 as the last shuttle flight:  29 years X 10 flights a
>year = 290 flights divided by 4 orbiters = 72.5 flight per vehicle plus about
>10 flight each on Columbia , Discovery and Atlantis = 82.5 flights total.
>
>Now if all the Orbiters are still around after 82 flights each is another
>question entirely.

The 100 flight lifetime of an orbiter assumed an impossible reliability of
99.97%. The shuttle has demonstrated a 97.5% reliability (39 / 40 ).
At this rate, there is only a 0.065% (e.g. 1543:1 against) chance of the
shuttle fleet flying 290 missions without loosing an orbiter. In fact,
at 97.5% reliability, 3 more flights in 1991 and 12/year in 1992 and later,
there is only a 8.2% chance that all four orbiters will survive to see the
year 2000. Also, there is a 35% chance that one of the 17 space station
construction flights will result in an accident.

I find it hard to see the shuttle still in use after 2010 (at the latest).

					Frank Crary
					UC Berkeley

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May9.034143.16916@agate.berkeley.edu> fcrary@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) writes:
>At this rate, there is only a 0.065% (e.g. 1543:1 against) chance of the
>shuttle fleet flying 290 missions without loosing an orbiter.

Actually, if they keep all the orbiters securely fastened, they won't be able
to fly any missions!  :-)

   Robert

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/14/91)

In article <1991May9.034143.16916@agate.berkeley.edu>, fcrary@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) writes:

>>Now if all the Orbiters are still around after 82 flights each is another
>>question entirely.
>
> The 100 flight lifetime of an orbiter assumed an impossible reliability of
> 99.97%. The shuttle has demonstrated a 97.5% reliability (39 / 40 ).
> At this rate, there is only a 0.065% (e.g. 1543:1 against) chance of the
> shuttle fleet flying 290 missions without loosing an orbiter. In fact,
> at 97.5% reliability, 3 more flights in 1991 and 12/year in 1992 and later,
> there is only a 8.2% chance that all four orbiters will survive to see the
> year 2000. Also, there is a 35% chance that one of the 17 space station
> construction flights will result in an accident.
>
> I find it hard to see the shuttle still in use after 2010 (at the latest).
>
> 					Frank Crary
> 					UC Berkeley

The true reliability of the shuttle is unknown.  As you say is has demostrated
39/40.  But, the shuttle vehicles are designed for to last 100 flights.

The only think I see in your calculations is:

You state the odds of all four vehicles surviving.  What is the odds of one
vehicle surviving 80 flights?

--

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May13.170952.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>The only think I see in your calculations is:
>
>You state the odds of all four vehicles surviving.  What is the odds of one
>vehicle surviving 80 flights?

The odds of one shuttle surviving 80 flights is (assuming 97.5% reliability)
6.58:1 against. E.g there is a 86.8% chance that a shuttle will be lost
before its 80th flight.

				     Frank Crary
				     UC Berkeley