[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle and Ozone?

scott@tripos.com (Scott Seaton) (05/17/91)

I don't usually read this newsgroup so forgive me if this subject has been
beat to death previously.  I have heard several clains (off the net) that
that each shuttle launch has a significant impact on the ozone layer.  Can
anyone authoritatively address this issue?

						scott@tripos.com

brody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Adam R. Brody) (05/20/91)

scott@tripos.com (Scott Seaton) writes:

>I don't usually read this newsgroup so forgive me if this subject has been
>beat to death previously.  I have heard several clains (off the net) that
>that each shuttle launch has a significant impact on the ozone layer.  Can
>anyone authoritatively address this issue?

>						scott@tripos.com

There is an article in this month's Aerospace America (May) which
illustrates that the harmful effects of 9 shuttle and 6 Titan launches
combined is several orders of magnitude less damaging than industrial
sources and volcanoes.  These data have been presented many times before,
however, the cynic would recognize that Thiokol almost always has
something to do with the presentation and the answer is always in their
best interest.